• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Upstate NY/North Country Winter Thread II

Eventually the old trough reaches a northernmost point where it sits and rots away... I was hoping it would be here, but as per climo it is looking to be north of ALB somewhere....

yeah its shifting northeastward slowly.

but this would be a very unusual setup for the ottawa valley too .....per climo of course these are usually over NNE/ENE?.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It rarely fails to assume this kind of inverted trough will slip slowly N/E on later model runs. Last year we had the unbelievable blocking and nothing ever trended north, but this is a new year. I hope it's done now because I still get a nice event.

Different event and set of circumstances, but I still think next weeks event hugs the coast for us..... Trough digging into the plains should scoop up the southern stream entity. NAO going neutral or positive...

yeah its shifting northeastward slowly.

but this would be a very unusual setup for the ottawa valley too.....of course these are usually over maine.

It rarely fails to assume this kind of inverted trough will slip slowly N/E on later model runs. Last year we had the unbelievable blocking and nothing ever trended north, but this is a new year. I hope it's done now because I still get a nice event.

yes i think you will be / should be fine.

it should get going around your area as per all modeling it seems, and then go from there....CoastalWx also mentioned that these things have a tendency to stall out unexpectedly, so you never know.

Right I meant that N/S area of heights that cut through Grafton. Then you drop again as you head east into the route 22 corridor. I don't doubt they will get shadowed along route 22.

So to get into extreme meso factors, I could see some shadowing just east of the Hudson, then less shadow, then shadowing again along route 22.

But I'm sure your maps can't be so precise.

To be honest they really can't. Because of this we do get some bitchy e-mails or phone calls when some of these shadow zones get a bit less than forecast or the opposite when they are overforecast.

QPF HAS COME DOWN A BIT LOOKING AT 18Z NAM AND 12Z GFS/ECMWF. IT

APPEARS THE NAM IS A BIT OVERDONE WITH TERRAIN ENHANCEMENT WITH TOO

MUCH IN THE MOUNTAINS AND SCARCE AMOUNTS IN THE VALLEYS...AS WIND

FIELDS WILL BE WEAKENING FRIDAY NIGHT. THE GGEM AND ECMWF ARE MORE

UNIFORM...MAINLY FOCUSING THE GREATEST QPF TOTALS ACROSS THE

NORTHERN 3/4 OF THE AREA. STILL A LOT OF SPREAD IN THE VARIOUS

SOURCES OF GUIDANCE...ALSO EVIDENT ON PLUME DIAGRAMS AT ALB. QPF

RANGING FROM 0.30 TO 0.75 AT ALB. THE SNOW-LIQUID RATIOS ARE STILL

EXPECTED TO BE QUITE HIGH AT LEAST 15 TO 1 AND POSSIBLY EVEN HIGHER.

SO...EVEN MARGINAL QPF COULD RESULT IN 7 TO 9+ INCHES OF

SNOW...ESPECIALLY OVER A 24 HOUR PERIOD. THE KEY IN ATTAINING THE

HEAVIER SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL BE WHERE THE SNOW SHIELD PIVOTS AS THE

UPPER LOW TURN THE CORNER AND LIFTS NORTHEAST INTO SOUTHEAST NEW

ENGLAND.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=ALY&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

The 18Z GFS really rips that inverted trough north of the CD. Very little QPF south and west of ALB after 0Z.

That is an interesting development for sure but considering the spread on where the OPS have the trough, the track of the C/O lows and vorts I really think this isn't going to be fully or confidently resolved until 12z tomorrow.

I always try not to be a model hugger, but when the 18Z GFS and 18Z NAM lifted the inverted trough north faster I got a smidge worried......just a smidge :unsure:

That is an interesting development for sure but considering the spread on where the OPS have the trough, the track of the C/O lows and vorts I really think this isn't going to be fully or confidently resolved until 12z tomorrow.

I was thinking the same thing....if we get more (which we may) I 'll be pleasantly surprised. Lowering expectations can really pay off in the end.

Personally I'm thinking about 6" of snow here.... Call it a 4-8 inch range. The fluff factor will enhance, but the earlier qpf may be overdone so split it down the middle.

The winds in the lower atmosphere will be out of the northwest so Syracuse will be a candidate for several inches of snow each day of the weekend on top of what falls Friday.

:popcorn:

Probably correct - this will be a slow feed of 'entry level' snow. Probably no more than 2-4" in any 12 hr period. We are likely on the western fringe of where any advisory would even be warranted. LES will be more interesting potentially, as per norm. Not sure if you get into Oswego Cty often but So. and Western parts have been hit pretty hard last 2-3 days, generally 1-2 feet in total. Seems like this was the first day this week I wasn't driving to/from work having to deal w/ a heavy LES band somewhere (or snowblowing its deposit).

Gravestone I live in the southwest corner of oswego county and easily have a foot+ here. And looking like that total will be even higher by the end of the weekend. I say bring it on since i do alot of snowmobiling.

One of my favorite parts of the world. I've driven through my share of 3"+/hr snowbands on Rts 34 and 104 in SW Oswego County en route to Fulton.

I'm heading out to Western NY on Sunday ...be interesting to see who has snow, etc. First to Allegany County at 2300' on the plateau and then up to my cousins in Naples near Lake Canandaigua. Then I'll shoot home on the Thruway from like Geneva east Tuesday night... I may be forced to stop at the Waterloo Factory Outlets. ;)

Some nice enhancement now flaring up off L Erie into S Ontario and Niagara County: http://radar.weather...1101111&loop=no

About an inch new snow here since late afternoon. Expect at least a couple more as this band works through during the night.

Some nice enhancement now flaring up off L Erie into S Ontario and Niagara County: http://radar.weather...1101111&loop=no

About an inch new snow here since late afternoon. Expect at least a couple more as this band works through during the night.

Measured 2 inches at 8PM,some moderate snow outside :popcorn:hopefully this sucker stalls over the city and drop couple inches before it moves south..

nam is fairly consistent with its previous runs, for the first time id say.

a solid event for ENY/CNY along the I-81 corridor, NNY and eastern ontario through the ottawa valley.....long duration, but an interesting one with a potential few surprises.

ill await the RGEM and look at the SREF....if the RGEM and NAM continue to match, it might be time to lock it in.

THE SHORT TERM FORECAST FOR WESTERN NEW YORK.

STEADY SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS WESTERN NEW YORK THROUGH THE REST

OF THE EVENING AND INTO THE NIGHT. THERE WILL BE PERIODS OF

MODERATE SNOW ACROSS NIAGARA COUNTY AND EXTREME NORTHERN ERIE

COUNTY. THE REST OF THE AREA WILL HAVE MAINLY LIGHT SNOW. AREA

ROADWAYS WILL HAVE A COATING OF SNOW WHICH WILL PRODUCE SLIPPERY

DRIVING CONDITIONS...ESPECIALLY ON UNTREATED AND LESS TRAVELLED

ROADS. EXPECT AN ACCUMULATION OF AROUND AN HALF AN INCH TO AN INCH

THROUGH MIDNIGHT.

$

LOLWUT :lmao:http://radar.weather...1101111&loop=no

Archived