12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Upstate NY/North Country Winter Thread II

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im having a hard time believing these measurements taken at dorval

72 cm of snow but never more than 12cm on the ground?

it seems we had less snow than that but defintely a greater snowdepth than that.

Dorval is awful for snow measurements, as is Pearson. If you look at data going back to the 60s you'll see that they always seem to have abnormally low snow depth measurements at those two airports. Ottawa's airport, by contrast is great with regard to that.

Dorval is awful for snow measurements, as is Pearson. If you look at data going back to the 60s you'll see that they always seem to have abnormally low snow depth measurements at those two airports. Ottawa's airport, by contrast is great with regard to that.

yes i agree

ottawa airport is the standard against which all canadian stations should be held.

I find it odd that Environment Canada is forecasting "a mix of sun and cloud" for ottawa on Sunday when the GFS has consistently been calling for snow. I guess the Canadian model doesn't see anything for our area.

still a lot of inconsistencies between the models in a very complex pattern.

could see some snow, could see partly cloudy skies.

About 2.5 inches and counting from this clipper/enhancement so far. Enough to not see the grass anymore so had to snowblow. Its still coming down pretty good but its only sticking to where theres already snow, so its not really sticking to the streets/shoveled sidewalks. Not a bad little event. Looking foward to Thursdays. Heres what the BUF NWS has to say...

THE NORTHERN STREAM WAVE LOOKS TO APPROACH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND

EARLY THURSDAY WITH INCREASING LOW TO MID LEVEL ISENTROPIC ASCENT.

THIS SHOULD ALLOW FOR A BURGEONING AREA OF MINOR SYNOPTIC

ACCUMULATING SNOWS TO OVERSPREAD THE REGION FROM WEST TO EAST LATE

WEDNESDAY AND THROUGH THE DAY THURSDAY. MAY ALSO BE LOOKING AT

LAKE CONTRIBUTIONS AS A SOUTHWEST FLOW DEVELOPS AND PARAMETERS

APPEAR FAVORABLE AT THIS JUNCTURE GIVEN SUPPORTIVE 850 MB

TEMPERATURES AND A DECENT FETCH...ESPECIALLY OFF ERIE. IT/S A

LITTLE EARLY TO PINPOINT HOW THE LAKE ENHANCEMENT WILL PLAY INTO

ACCUMULATIONS...BUT WILL BE SOMETHING TO MONITOR FOR THE BUFFALO

METRO AREA.

About 2.5 inches and counting from this clipper/enhancement so far. Enough to not see the grass anymore so had to snowblow. Its still coming down pretty good but its only sticking to where theres already snow, so its not really sticking to the streets/shoveled sidewalks. Not a bad little event. Looking foward to Thursdays. Heres what the BUF NWS has to say...

Same here, about 2" fell overnight and probably another 1" so far during the day. Some nice bursts of +SN over the last hour in Lancaster. Good to finally see a clipper-type system move through with lake enhancement.

Same here, about 2" fell overnight and probably another 1" so far during the day. Some nice bursts of +SN over the last hour in Lancaster. Good to finally see a clipper-type system move through with lake enhancement.

same here in Eggertsville. Radar shows a large increase in the snow in the past half hour. Snow is pretty much moderate but every so often theres burst of heavy snow with big flakes. Im liking this clipper event. Really getting me excited for wednesdsy night through Friday.

This snow should serve as a nice base for the upcoming snow. Id be so happy with 1 more inch today and 4 inches from the next clipper\enhancement

Looks like a nice 6-12" event here near MBY.....SU campus has turned green over vacation! :thumbsdown:

Complex situation for Thurs.- weekend....obviously. I love reading all the threads ripping this or that model apart because of "this....or ....that". This is about as difficult an atmosphere to model/forecast as one can get. One theme that does seem to be shaking out of all the guidance is that if the storm is close enough to the coast, someone should see some inverted trough driven convergence.....enough to place a nice stripe of decent accumulating snows for someone in Upstate NY.

ON THURSDAY...THE FUJIWARA EFFECT OF THE TWIN H5 LOWS WILL RESULT IN

THE WRN VORTEX DROPPING SOUTH ACROSS LAKE SUPERIOR WHILE ITS

ASSOCIATED SFC LOW WILL MIGRATE TO SRN ONTARIO. THIS WILL SET UP A

SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW ACROSS THE REGION THAT WILL ALLOW FAIRLY

SIGNIFICANT LAKE ENHANCMENT TO TAKE PLACE IN AN ALREADY MOISTENING

SYNOPTIC MOISTURE FIELD. THIS LAKE ENRICHED MOISTURE WILL TAKE AIM

ON THE NIAGARA FRONTIER WHERE ACCUMULATIONS FROM BUFFALO NORTH AND

EAST WILL LIKELY EXCEED 3 INCHES. ELSEWHERE...HGT FALLS AND SOME

WEAK DIFFLUENCE ALOFT WILL LEAD TO FAIRLY WIDESPREAD SNOW SHOWERS.

ACCUMS OUTSIDE OF THE NIAGARA FRONTIER SHOULD BE AN INCH OR LESS.

:snowman:

Very informative AFD from BUF on the complex pattern evolving this week. Hopefully we can cash in on some "Fujiwara" induced lake enhacement on the niagara frontier later this week....

NWS BUF AFD also saying this...

"THE MAIN H5 VORTEX WILL CONTINUE TO DROP SOUTHEAST ACROSS THE GREAT

LAKES REGION THURSDAY NIGHT AS SYNOPTIC MOISTURE WILL DEEPEN ACROSS

ALL OF WRN AND NORTH CENTRAL NEW YORK. THE THERMODYNAMICS WILL BE

VERY FAVORABLE FOR QUICK ACCUMULATIONS OF FLUFFY SNOW THURSDAY NIGHT

AS A 3-4K FT THICK DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN

EQUALLY IMPRESSIVE SNOW AGGREGATION ZONE AT LOW LEVELS. SEVERAL MORE

INCHES OF SNOW WILL BE LIKELY DURING THIS 12 HOUR PERIOD. CAT POPS

WILL BE USED FOR ALL OF THE FORECAST AREA."

I know there is alot to track right now with synoptic, LES, etc. But this artic outbreak next week looks pretty extreme for our area.

LEK, what kind of response do you think the lakes will have with this amount of cold weather? I know we can never pin point details this far out, but I would think there would be some kind of response.

I know there is alot to track right now with synoptic, LES, etc. But this artic outbreak next week looks pretty extreme for our area.

LEK, what kind of response do you think the lakes will have with this amount of cold weather? I know we can never pin point details this far out, but I would think there would be some kind of response.

Wind direction will be key....a WNW wind would help the downstream snowgrowth area by inducing some warmer air into the band's eastern most extent (ie Oswego, Onondaga Cos. and points SE). With a more NW flow, the short fetch will presumably minimize the flake size for the lack of the above mentioned process, thus a low level spray of tiny flakes.....

Archived