Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Upstate NY/North Country Winter Thread II

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wake up Tug Hill people, time to play catch up!!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

317 PM EST SAT JAN 1 2011

NYZ006>008-020500-

/O.NEW.KBUF.LE.A.0001.110102T1800Z-110103T2300Z/

OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

MONDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT

SNOW WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* LOCATIONS...THE TUG HILL PLATEAU.

* TIMING...SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 12 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE HALF MILE OR LESS IN MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TO DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS WITH GREATLY

REDUCED VISIBILITIES AND SLIPPERY SNOW COVERED ROADS.

* FORECASTER CONFIDENCE...MODERATE TO ABOVE AVERAGE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH MEANS THAT SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER IS

POSSIBLE IN LOCALIZED AREAS WITHIN THE NEXT 36 HOURS.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF

WEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST UPDATES. ADDITIONAL DETAILS

CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BUFFALO.

pcp24.60.0000.gif

I have a New Years wish that from the mid Hudson Valley into Canada (insert your place here) we get an epic,historical,biblical (insert any other type name) snow storm.I am going for all the marbles( I have lost mine so it's none the difference LOL) with this storm.I would expect at LEAST 60+ inches over a 3 day span!!!.I expect a state of emergency that would be in effect for at least 6 day's. Now that being said if this cannot happen,dont give us anything,and then you have what we have(or lack of) now.See? it's just that easy not to be upset over the lack of snow!!!! LOL.

Could you imagine?? :arrowhead:

He uses the threat of bolting to the CBC as leverage during contract negotiations. :scooter:

It is a lot easier for someone from Canada and the CBC to work stateside then the opposite.

Yeah but it would be like going to the retirement apartments that is upstairs of the big party!!! J/k lol

That would be a conundrum for me....the big party vs the retirement apts. I see both in my future. Maybe a retirement party with everyone from this sub-forum. We could start at DBros, then go to the Bullpen, Bruno's, Irish Pub then finish at Sandy's leaving the stragglers behind. :-)

I would include Dango's and OT's but they're Red Sox bars so I'll pass.

It is a lot easier for someone from Canada and the CBC to work stateside then the opposite.

That would be a conundrum for me....the big party vs the retirement apts. I see both in my future. Maybe a retirement party with everyone from this sub-forum. We could start at DBros, then go to the Bullpen, Bruno's, Irish Pub then finish at Sandy's leaving the stragglers behind. :-)

I would include Dango's and OT's but they're Red Sox bars so I'll pass.

Because of the anti-American feeling prevalent at the CBC? I gather they've got quite the reputation for that. Classic example of social engineering the CBC can be, but I risk going off topic....

MONDAY AFTERNOON...

pcp24.60.0000.gif

Looks like a good hit for me. And just when I got rid of all that dagnabit white stuff.:axe:

Never fails! Leaving in the morning :) Maybe next time. Be back up in a couple of weeks.

NYZ006>008-020500-

/O.NEW.KBUF.LE.A.0001.110102T1800Z-110103T2300Z/

OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE

MONDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT

SNOW WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TO DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS WITH GREATLY

REDUCED VISIBILITIES AND SLIPPERY SNOW COVERED ROADS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH MEANS THAT SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER IS

POSSIBLE IN LOCALIZED AREAS WITHIN THE NEXT 36 HOURS.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF

WEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST UPDATES. ADDITIONAL DETAILS

CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BUFFALO.

pcp24.60.0000.gif

cold front has swung through ottawa back below freezing now at my parents house.

all the snow is gone for the most part.

just the snowpiles and snowbanks on driveway edges are left.

the last 12 or so hours of the torch was the worst, heavy fog and some rain showers, and then poof, it was all gone......but i guess it was just the holes coalescing into larger holes actually until it was just one big hole lol.

ill be back in MTL tonight, expecting the same when i get home.

impressive torch, nowhere near the level of jan 08, but still a solid torch. this time around, we only had about 6-10 inches of snowpack, but it was a several weeks old glacier.

hopefully we got it out of the way early and thats it.... and an epic 3 months stretch lies ahead.

The fields and the exposed (2/3rds) of my lawn are essentially bare now - save a few one or two foot drifts scattered on the edges. The wooded areas seem to have retained 3 or 4 inches of snow. I guess if I hadn't had all the blowing I would have emerged from this with a white lawn. The people down the hill who are very sheltered still have a white lawn.

OVC and 36 at 11:30 AM. Things will probably slip downward during the afternoon here.

cold front has swung through ottawa back below freezing now at my parents house.

the last 12 or so hours of the torch was the worst, heavy fog and some rain showers, and then poof, it was all gone......but i guess it was just the holes coalescing into larger holes actually until it was just one big hole lol.

impressive torch, nowhere near the level of jan 08, but still a solid torch. this time around, we only had about 6-10 inches of snowpack, but it was a several weeks old glacier.

hopefully we got it out of the way early and thats it.... and an epic 3 months stretch lies ahead.

Never fails! Leaving in the morning :) Maybe next time. Be back up in a couple of weeks.

LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS

AFTERNOON TO 6 PM EST MONDAY...

A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS

AFTERNOON TO 6 PM EST MONDAY.

* TIMING...THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 16 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TO DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS WITH

GREATLY REDUCED VISIBILITIES AND SLIPPERY SNOW COVERED ROADS.

The band is geting it's self set-up. I have a few snowflakes in the air.:snowman::thumbsup:

The band is geting it's self set-up. I have a few snowflakes in the air.:snowman::thumbsup:

Congrats!! pimp.gif

I'm watching from afar! Wish we could have stayed a couple more days, but the kids had school tomorrow. I will live through your updates :)

Looks like things are starting to come together. I think things look favorable over the next 2 weeks for our area, but I guess time will tell.

Where exactly are you on the Tug? I assume northern Tug?

I had hoped it would be a little more organized by now...Hopefully it will in a few hours after the Sun goes down

For MBY I'm not that excited about the "clipper" for Tues, but I am enjoying the runs and complexities of the end-of week potential.

Current NWS ALB:

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...AN INTERESTING AND CHALLENGING FORECAST TOWARD THE END OF THIS WEEK.A RATHER PERSISTENT UPPER LOW OVER JAMES BAY WILL EVOLVE AND CHANGETHROUGH THE LONG TERM AS HIGH AMPLITUDE BLOCKING/RIDGING PERSISTSACROSS NORTHERN CANADA AND THE NORTH POLE. THIS WILL KEEP THESTRONG PACIFIC JET ZONAL FLOW COMING IN ACROSS THE PACIFIC NORTHWESTWITH EMBEDDED SHORT WAVES QUICKLY TRANSVERSING THE CONUS. POTENTIALFOR ANY ONE OF THESE WAVES TO AMPLIFY THE SYNOPTIC FLOW WITH RECENTTRENDS FROM THE NCEP MODEL SUITE AND INTERNATIONAL GUIDANCE SHOWINGA COASTAL STORM DEVELOPING OFF THE MID ATLANTIC COAST FRIDAY INTOSATURDAY. THIS APPEARS TO BE A RATHER PROLONGED EVENT WITH THEHIGHEST POTENTIAL FOR SNOW NORTH OF THE NY STATE THRUWAY. A STRONGSIGNAL OF A TROWAL AND/OR DEFORMATION AXIS IS EXPECTED...BUT THEDETAILS/LOCATION ARE ALWAYS IN QUESTION THIS FAR OUT. LATEST GEFSPLUMES FOR ALBANY RANGE FROM ZERO QPF TO AS MUCH AS 1 INCH. FORNOW...WE WILL PLACE POPS FOR SNOW LATER THIS WEEK INTO NEXTWEEKEND. NO MENTION IN THE HWO AT THIS TIME.

Back in Ottawa. hard to believe it's January, what with most of the snow gone. Am holding out hope for Tuesday, as well as later this week.

If you get into the core of the arctic air it would probably be dry anyway. You have to figure though that the arctic air slides over into Eastern Ontario, Quebec and the northern part of NY/NE at the very least. That is some serious arctic air and it will want to spread out and sink south until it meets serious resistance. That may be the SE ridge. It could be conducive for overunning snow events for those in the lucky corridor.

1993-94 comes to mind somewhat...that was excellent for us here, but I don't know about further north.

This is all "after" the late week system......

Watched Bastardi's latest video. He appears to be calling for a huge arctic outbreak into western Canada and the upper midwest after January 10. Unfortunately, it also appears that NNY, eastern Ontario and southern Quebec will average above normal temperature wise, at least in his opinion.

Archived