• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Discuss the Blizz of 2010 - Part II

Baroclinic Zone

One thing that I am glad to see here and in the nyc/phil thread is the mention of inflated snow totals due to periodically clearing the board.

When i see that someone gets an average of well over twenty inches by taking a number of measurements or I watch the person on youtube go out into their back yard and measure a snowdepth of over two feet like I did with the early feb MA storm last year that is impressive!

The pics from NJ/NYC metro are amazing for sure but at the end of the storm if the average depth is 24 icnhes and 30 is reported bc of clearing the board or allowing for compacting/settling I still do not agree with it unless one could not get outside to measure as soon as the heavy snow abated. I see the purpose with some storms where one has to measure more often (esp heavy wet snow events) to get accurate numbers but I really feel like some of these totals just get very inflated. I wonder too sometimes if some of these super high totals are people measuring in drifts but I really do not want to accuse any one of that bc to me mesuring in a drift is like fishing with dynamite.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that I am glad to see here and in the nyc/phil thread is the mention of inflated snow totals due to periodically clearing the board.

When i see that someone gets an average of well over twenty inches by taking a number of measurements or I watch the person on youtube go out into their back yard and measure a snowdepth of over two feet like I did with the early feb MA storm last year that is impressive!

The pics from NJ/NYC metro are amazing for sure but at the end of the storm if the average depth is 24 icnhes and 30 is reported bc of clearing the board or allowing for compacting/settling I still do not agree with it unless one could not get outside to measure as soon as the heavy snow abated. I see the purpose with some storms where one has to measure more often (esp heavy wet snow events) to get accurate numbers but I really feel like some of these totals just get very inflated. I wonder too sometimes if some of these super high totals are people measuring in drifts but I really do not want to accuse any one of that bc to me mesuring in a drift is like fishing with dynamite.

I had the same viewpoint but those pictures don't lie. I believe the 30 inch totals are valid after viewing that NYC/NJ photo thread. I encourage everybody to check these out.

OMG...here we go again with BDL climo summaries for 12/26-27. They are reporting fourteen inches of snow for the two days lol

Today they are reporting seven inches for a we of .15. Having lived close to BDL for many years I am constantly amazed at how inflated their snow totals are on a very regular basis and it still really bothers me, no matter how hard I try to block it out. I have to stop looking at their climo summaries!

i was wondering why/how KTAN and EBOS didn't mix or go to rain from this event. With a very strong low tucked fairly close to ECoast and no real HP to our north.

Now i heard about the impressive N flow that would be occuring with this system and how this would benefit those just inland but what was the reason for this N flow in this set up.

It was definitely the coastal flooding and the winds that really made this event...for the most part snowfall totals across our region weren't anything overly truly impressive. But to get the winds that we had was freaking amazing, gusts into the 60's/70's...even 80 mph! It isn't too often we see storms like this that produce winds like this...we'll see one or two where you get a few gusts that maybe get to 60 mph but the number of them were pretty crazy.

wow areas just NW of me got totally screwed.....marlborough 5.5 inches LOL. watching the radar archives from plymouth state it is apparent (esp. when combined with the qpf maps) that there was a good gradient between me and them (even thou it's about 8-10 miles on the map)

I measured approx 12 inches here and that is consistent with being on the NW edge of the slightly higher qpf totals. framingham 3 miles NNE also had a 9.6 (at midnite) ?

the worcester one also shows how bad marlborough was hosed.

Thanks for the blizzard while I was up north and thanks to the whole SNE crew for welcoming me into your regional board last week. It was an awesome event.

P.S. You are more than welcome to come to the Florida threads and discuss the 80 degree temps for New Years weekend :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cool . see you in 0town this weekend. looking forward to the mid 70's and hoping there is snow on the ground or falling when i get back

wow areas just NW of me got totally screwed.....marlborough 5.5 inches LOL. watching the radar archives from plymouth state it is apparent (esp. when combined with the qpf maps) that there was a good gradient between me and them (even thou it's about 8-10 miles on the map)

I measured approx 12 inches here and that is consistent with being on the NW edge of the slightly higher qpf totals. framingham 3 miles NNE also had a 9.6 (at midnite) ?

the worcester one also shows how bad marlborough was hosed.

You're making some pretty hefty assumptions based upon spotty and sometimes unreliable measurements.

I worked in Marlboro (among 7 other towns) for two days after the storm and there was at least 6-10" of snow everywhere in Marlboro, that was Tuesday and Wednesday, not even immediately after the storm. It looked like all of the other towns in the area. If there were 5.5" in Marlboro as an averaged measurement there'd be little to no snow left right now and that is not the case.

It would seem they measured in a wide-open area that was blown pretty close to clean from the wind or simply didn't measure properly, but that isn't representative to the rest of the area.

Archived