• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    norakhann33
    Newest Member
    norakhann33
June 2024 General Discussion

The first half of the month looks to be dominated by troughing and possibly blocking. GFS also hinting a cutoff low starting around the middle of next week.

gfs-ens_z500aMean_us_9.png

NAO, PNA, AO looking bad for the next couple of weeks.

NAO:
Ensemble Mean NAO Outlooks

PNA:
Ensemble Mean PNA Outlooks

AO:
Ensemble Mean AO Outlooks

• Like 1

On June 1, 1837, the St. Clair River between Lake Huron and Lake Saint Clair closed up with ice. The schooner New York became caught in the ice at Recors Point and was carried downstream. In the same year, ice was harvested from the river until July 4th.

8 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

On June 1, 1837, the St. Clair River between Lake Huron and Lake Saint Clair closed up with ice. The schooner New York became caught in the ice at Recors Point and was carried downstream. In the same year, ice was harvested from the river until July 4th.

What is the source for this information? I'd like to read about it.

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

447306825_860245282806667_5015251543583496663_n.thumb.jpg.39fb80fc6f2de708f369da5afe6af164.jpg

Reminds me of the 1995-96 winter season. Ice over my way was very late in leaving as well. Trout, and smelt runs were a month late (typically start mid April), and piled ice was on the shores until late June. The ice breaker Mackinaw, had to lead ore boats for quite a while during that time because of the thick, extensive ice. Pretty much through the month of April, I believe. I don't remember how late things were in the 2013-14 season, but it was a stout season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brian D said:

Reminds me of the 1995-96 winter season. Ice over my way was very late in leaving as well. Trout, and smelt runs were a month late (typically start mid April), and piled ice was on the shores until late June. The ice breaker Mackinaw, had to lead ore boats for quite a while during that time because of the thick, extensive ice. Pretty much through the month of April, I believe. I don't remember how late things were in the 2013-14 season, but it was a stout season.

Brings back another memory. Don't remember the year, but we had an April storm with strong NE winds that blew the last remaining ice that was nearer Duluth into the Duluth canal, and along Park Point. It was so thick from piling on itself, that the next day, an ore boat was leaving, and tried to make it through the ice at the end of the piers. It couldn't push through, so it had to back up, and redock. The CG cutter Sundew, which was a cutter stationed at the CG station there in the Duluth Harbor (retired in 2004) had to go and make a path through that ice. Took a good day or more to loosen the ice. It was a good 10-15' or more thick. Slabs of ice piled on top of each other.

Just a note, but the CG cutter Makinaw was retired in 2006. It was 240 ft long. The Sundew was 180 ft long. Mackinaw was a brute, and could handle much more ice than the Sundew. Hence, during the 1996 shipping opener, she was the work horse leading the boats for a few weeks that season. The ice during that year was running 1-2' thick across the Lake, and as melting was on going, winds would pile the ice to some degree, making it hard for ore boats to navigate, and the threat of open lanes quickly closing, and crushing the boats was the reason for the Mackinaw's extra duty that year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Models significantly under-predicted the rain event across eastern Iowa this morning.  I was expecting just enough rain to wet the ground, but ended up with several hours of light to moderate rain totaling 0.64".

19 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Bursts of heavy drizzle and a few passing showers earlier from this lame system.  Picked up 0.13".

16 hours ago, madwx said:

0.69”. Another overperformer.  Parking lots and streets flood now with even some light to moderate rain 

Amazing how the haves and have-nots really lock in for a particular season across a relatively small region. I remember some recent springs where Madison was among the "have-nots" while nearby parts of northern IL, eastern IA or central WI got repeated rounds of precipitation and it sure was annoying.

Just came across this article. A bit OT here, but thought it would shine some light on maybe why models these past months seemed really bad. And we might expect the same going forward, especially in the colder months.

Just a note, article is from Australia, so don't let the summer of 2024 confuse you. :) 

https://www.sciencealert.com/giant-tonga-volcanic-eruption-could-disrupt-weather-for-years-to-come

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-022-01568-2

Note: Not looking to get into a climate change discussion here, just the effects on modelling, and possible wx impacts for us going forward.

5 hours ago, Brian D said:

How's it going with the cicadas were you are? 

They're absolutely everywhere. Not a single plant in the local preserve is cicada-free. You look up and they're flying around like bees near a nest from tree to tree. It's several orders of magnitude crazier than the annual cicada outbreak. They're so loud on my walk right now that it's borderline painful.

IMG20240602171437.jpg

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

They're absolutely everywhere. Not a single plant in the local preserve is cicada-free. You look up and they're flying around like bees near a nest from tree to tree. It's several orders of magnitude crazier than the annual cicada outbreak. They're so loud on my walk right now but it's almost borderline painful.

IMG20240602171437.jpg

when I was at Allerton Park in Monticello, literally 30 minutes from Champaign, they were landing on my shirt as we were walking. The sound was deafening as well. 

• Like 1

Personally I love em. The ones here in dupage are the 17 year ones.

At night, it’s the females I think that make clicking sounds. They remind me of little frogs in trees etc, that adds a rare ambiance around. Where as it would be quiet and boring imo. 

They also are a natural soil aerator. I’m guessing lawns/gardens around are going to be lush as ever.

Older trees is where the main breeding grounds are I noticed. And there’s a few big ones around the lot that are complete nesting grounds. 

Yesterday, I went outside and sat by the smoker/grill thinking to do barbecue. And just sat there talking to a friend on the phone and barely heard him. Just in awe. 

They also get to a pitch where the buzzing is so loud and concentrated that it creates a background howl.

Last week when I walked outside and first noticed it, I thought there was some electrical sounding alarm that was going off on some storefront or something in the distance.

Insect wise, they’re probably my favorite. Don’t bite or cause havoc. Only the sheer volume can be somewhat annoying at times. 

Definitely rather have them around over mosquitoes etc.

• Like 3