• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
May 2024 General Discussion

Clouds started to break here around 3 am.  It was a little surreal to see the lights mixed in with low clouds.  Looked like a scene out of a horror movie. Should be decent viewing early on tonight before clouds move back in.  N lights are pretty common up this way but last nights were very nice.  Have only seen them encompass the entire sky one other time a year or so ago.

17 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Clouds started to break here around 3 am.  It was a little surreal to see the lights mixed in with low clouds.  Looked like a scene out of a horror movie. Should be decent viewing early on tonight before clouds move back in.  N lights are pretty common up this way but last nights were very nice.  Have only seen them encompass the entire sky one other time a year or so ago.

Stephen King's "Maximum Overdrive" :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Apparently reports of sightings in NW FL

My friend on sanibel island texted me last night and said it was pretty cool. Pretty unusual for them. I remember someone in texas reported seeing them around the millennium.

2 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

My friend on sanibel island texted me last night and said it was pretty cool. Pretty unusual for them. I remember someone in texas reported seeing them around the millennium.

That would be the Oct 2003 event that was as strong as this. During the Carrington event, they were seen down on the Caribbean Islands, if I'm not mistaken.

57 minutes ago, Brian D said:

That would be the Oct 2003 event that was as strong as this. During the Carrington event, they were seen down on the Caribbean Islands, if I'm not mistaken.

Supposedly there was a report in PR seeing red lights off in the northern Horizon. 24-48 hours of storms still left. I leave for Siesta Key FL tomorrow and I pray we get a strong storm again tomorrow night and I can get some pics to post.

• Like 1

Kp levels are down to 7 which is G4. Aurora shouldn't be as strong tonight unless there's an uptick to 8 or 9 again (G5). I'll be able see them more N now. Skies are very clear as the Sun has just set. Probably the standard green waves, but we shall see, as there were still some weaker waves yet to hit.

Might have to kick the A/C on for the first time today if forecasted highs in the mid 80s comes to fruition. Been loving having the windows open for the past week.

It also looks like wildfire smoke season begins today. Smokey skies expected to move in this afternoon. Edmonton has been dealing with thick smoke for a couple days now. 

35 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Might have to kick the A/C on for the first time today if forecasted highs in the mid 80s comes to fruition. Been loving having the windows open for the past week.

It also looks like wildfire smoke season begins today. Smokey skies expected to move in this afternoon. Edmonton has been dealing with thick smoke for a couple days now. 

Yeah, smoke is on the doorstep, coming behind front, and will be around through tomorrow it looks like. Nice Mother's Day tho.

Happy Mother's Day to any Mom's on here. :) 

Smoke May 12.jpg

Talk of a possible second decent hit from CME's tonight. Will be interesting to see if we get a decent showing of the aurora. Last night after sunset was very weak. Just a greenish glow in the N. 

Also, we have another Frost advisory for tomorrow am across NE MN as temps will dip to the low-mid 30's away from the Lake.

2 hours ago, kevlon62 said:

A later show around 11:30 last night. Consecutive nights makes it a lifetime first.5acb54d957868f0522eebd1fd63ab59d.jpg89178f19a25a56624c5fc3b1498569df.jpg

I fell asleep, so didn't check later in the night. Great to see they came out in an awesome display again. Hopefully tonight, another round will be in the offing. :) 

• Like 1

Last week the weather was just plain bad, dark overcast and cool temps seemingly every damn morning and most days, all day. On Fri it was patchy overcast and I could see just 1 or 2 km away blue skies all afternoon til 5:20! Sickening.

I didn't see any NLs here on Friday night after midnight. I was clouded all day Sat.

It was suppose to be brighter today and it is but mostly cloudy with sunny breaks.

Well, I went through the data for snow season rank. Seems a bit late, but we can still get overnight snows around here in the N most part of the sub into May. 

From my sig totals below I'm ranking from least snowiest as it was a lean snow year.

TH 27.7" ranks 9th(tied) least snowiest since 1894 with sporadic missing years.

TH 7NW 56.6" ranks 4th least snowiest since 1998. 25+ years of co-op service from the same observer at this site (home). That's awesome! High school science teacher I believe.

Duluth arpt 38.7" ranks 2nd least snowiest (behind 1980/81 36.5") since 1948. Earlier data is from downtown Duluth (near the Lake), which has a much lower avg snow season from 1885-1940, so can't be used for comparison.

Bayfield 60.7" ranks 20th least snowiest with data sparse from 1897-1912, then since 1938 with sporadic missing years.

Ironwood 66.3" ranks 4th least snowiest since 1901 with sporadic missing years.

Had some brief but freaky lightning, 2-3 hours ahead of my hourlies forecast. I'm sitting at 11C dew at 6C. Quick flashes and has that scary feel as its seems to be with lower temps in these parts. Oddly my weather station didn't detect a single one despite the 16 of them. Lots of small cells forming over lake Huron, most weakened rapidly.

viu61.png

15 hours ago, Chinook said:

Friday at about midnight. We probably won't see this for a long time

aurora forecast.jpg

Supposedly this was one of the great events of the last 500 years. Even sightings as far south as Hawaii now. Very grateful to be able to see such a display even within the suburbs

14 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

AQI around 180, a smelly nasty smoke filled evening. Wouldn’t want to go outside looking for the Aurora if it was right overhead. 

the-worst-day-of-your-life-so-far.png.d05ac9936473c549ef4ab36b23c17e5b.png

Reupping this bad boy from last year

• Haha 5
  • Sad 2