• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!

weatherwiz

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think tomorrow may have a few stronger storms. Decent lapse rates moving in, good 850 theta-e. May even get some srfc base stuff near low center in the aftn?

I saw Ryan mentioned an EML ? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I saw Ryan mentioned an EML ? 

Placement of it seems in question...but yeah at least a weaker EML anyways. Maybe even lapse rates >7C/KM from 700-500. For the most part low levels are stable so if anything maybe some hail? Western areas may get srfc destabilization. 

I wouldn't honk, but could see 1 or 2 stronger storms.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Placement of it seems in question...but yeah at least a weaker EML anyways. Maybe even lapse rates >7C/KM from 700-500. For the most part low levels are stable so if anything maybe some hail? Western areas may get srfc destabilization. 

I wouldn't honk, but could see 1 or 2 stronger storms.

which seems it must be 300% of normal for this stability hole of a wasteland

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

flakes for some?

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_52.png

For the hawks nests maybe.  

I don't diminish the cold profile at this late in the year, but that's the eastern region of the Tug Hill, which has an elevation around 2,000 ... than again S Greens and up there near the Presidential Range in NH. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

For the hawks nests maybe.  

I don't diminish the cold profile at this late in the year, but that's the eastern region of the Tug Hill, which has an elevation around 2,000 ... than again S Greens and up there near the Presidential Range in NH. 

Those are the Adirondack high peaks.  Tug Hill is west of there, off the eastern end of Lake Ontario.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I thought maybe the SPC did go a bit much with this. The high Risk, the PDS Watch, some of the wording was pretty intense as well. It seems like there has become more of a focus on parameters than the overall picture. I think even within the SPC discussion, there was some questioning about storm mode and a few other flags but went on the aggressive side given how models were indicating Significant Tornado Parameter Values of 10+...which is absolutely insane but we have to remember those do not mean anything if you don't have the right storms to utilize them. 

It seems like there has been a large movement within the forecasting industry to focus on parameters, AI products, analogs and reverting away from using what is most valuable, understanding the setup on hand and incorporating historical knowledge. 

I agree that storm mode did look mostly messy, and that’s what happened for the most part. Also agree about parameters. They look pretty and can be valuable, but it doesn’t replace a fundamental understanding of the environment itself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Saturdays highs will be well into the 60’s in SNE. ACATT never gives up though 

That map is for Friday though (00z Sat is 8pm Friday).  Not trying to enter the debate, just pointing that out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Oh I thought it was Saturday. Friday will be in the 50’s so yeah a bit cooler 

Just looking, seems GFS and NAM are 40s there for you on Friday, but GGEM is 50s and 6z ECM was low 50s.  I'd tend to lean on the warmer side of guidance as it doesn't take much for a max temp to sneak up into the 50s this time of year.  It would take some work to truly stay in the 40s, even there at 1,000ft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just looking, seems GFS and NAM are 40s there for you on Friday, but GGEM is 50s and 6z ECM was low 50s.  I'd tend to lean on the warmer side of guidance as it doesn't take much for a max temp to sneak up into the 50s this time of year.  It would take some work to truly stay in the 40s, even there at 1,000ft.

Just funny to see ACATT hold on …looking for anything  lol

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Just funny to see ACATT hold on …looking for anything  lol

Your forecast is having the storm speed out. Not sure that is possible. 00z runs looked closer to 60+. But that is dependent on when it leaves. 

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

He'll have the heat on for sure.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I just need Sunday to end up on the fairer side - can you work that out ?

Looking at most guidance ex the GFS op you can see how odds favor decent weather. GEM makes most sense to me.

Even the 12z GEFS has the surface low SE of the BM by 12z Sat. Not buying bs IVT on the GFS.