Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,540
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
    Joined

Significant Miller B Nor'easter Apr 3rd-4th OBS


wxeyeNH
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

In the neighborhood of 18-19".  Power out, no cell service, all sorts of trees entangled in power lines in my neighborhood, the power line to my house is laying in the road .. this will be a long-duration outage and as it's the weekend we will get a hotel room til Monday.

your area always seems to get hit the hardest. Were still w/out pwr. The honda genny is miserly, getting ~0.3gal/hr run time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This was a real man storm up here. None of the typical spring garbage where downsloping or elevations plays havoc with the totals. It's going to be a fairly uniform 10-20" for most of our CWA, outside of the areas that struggled to flip to snow at the onset.

Wonder where we'd be if the Dec and Jan rn storms were all sn. We'd be pushing 120" I'd think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Don’t know how anyone has been adding to totals MHT points south/east unless you have elevation.

34/35 throughout the area for lows last night.

I’ve had probably had 30” of falling snow, but no more than 3” at any point to show for it. 
 

The trees even lost their thick white coats overnight, despite the persistent light snow falling throughout.

We are now capping this event off with a flip to rain/drizzle.

Funny. My trees added a coating of white overnight after losing it late yesterday afternoon. 
 

Melting now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Wonder where we'd be if the Dec and Jan rn storms were all sn. We'd be pushing 120" I'd think.

Even if you just made those months average (and March was below too) I would be near 80" for MBY. That's a solid +20 for the PWM area.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

In the neighborhood of 18-19".  Power out, no cell service, all sorts of trees entangled in power lines in my neighborhood, the power line to my house is laying in the road .. this will be a long-duration outage and as it's the weekend we will get a hotel room til Monday.

Wish we lived there 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This was a real man storm up here. None of the typical spring garbage where downsloping or elevations plays havoc with the totals. It's going to be a fairly uniform 10-20" for most of our CWA, outside of the areas that struggled to flip to snow at the onset.

Yep. That certainly worked out in Maine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I know the phones were out for the observer there, so we had trouble getting a total. We were estimating 6 inches at 18z yesterday.

Sounds like the Pope parted the snow to make up 2”?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Funny. My trees added a coating of white overnight after losing it late yesterday afternoon. 
 

Melting now!

We’re going to get a good melt today despite the BN temps and clouds, given that the ground never froze up. Makes a big difference. 
 

Can’t melt fast enough for me though. April 5th man. I need spring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

In the neighborhood of 18-19".  Power out, no cell service, all sorts of trees entangled in power lines in my neighborhood, the power line to my house is laying in the road .. this will be a long-duration outage and as it's the weekend we will get a hotel room til Monday.

Drip your faucets shut off water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PWM obs

00z - 0.7"

nada at 05z

12z - 0.4"

 

Event total is 8.0" which includes a total of 2.80" liquid - both rain and snow.  Depth is 5"

Season total is 38.0".  That's going to put PWM #9 on the least snowy winter on record list.  Impressive considering 2 weeks ago we were post equinox and sitting at #1.

 

It's still snowing lightly but I don't think we're picking up another 0.6", which would bump us from #9 to #10.

 

PWMAnnS.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tunafish said:

PWM obs

00z - 0.7"

nada at 05z

12z - 0.4"

 

Event total is 8.0" which includes a total of 2.80" liquid - both rain and snow.  Depth is 5"

Season total is 38.0".  That's going to put PWM #9 on the least snowy winter on record list.  Impressive considering 2 weeks ago we were post equinox and sitting at #1.

We're at 75.5" now; about the avg. what a crazy way to have run the season though given we were only at 40" less than 3wks ago

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, tunafish said:

PWM obs

00z - 0.7"

nada at 05z

12z - 0.4"

 

Event total is 8.0" which includes a total of 2.80" liquid - both rain and snow.  Depth is 5"

Season total is 38.0".  That's going to put PWM #9 on the least snowy winter on record list.  Impressive considering 2 weeks ago we were post equinox and sitting at #1.

 

It's still snowing lightly but I don't think we're picking up another 0.6", which would bump us from #9 to #10.

 

PWMAnnS.png

Time to move. ;)

I'm over 50" for the season now on the northern outskirts of PWM.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

We’re going to get a good melt today despite the BN temps and clouds, given that the ground never froze up. Makes a big difference. 
 

Can’t melt fast enough for me though. April 5th man. I need spring.

Even when its overcast, the sun is doing it's thing.  I just went out to clear the driveway and cars.  They the new 2.5" from overnight and the bottom layer had frozen on.  I brushed off the snow and then spent 20 minutes clearing the end of the driveway.  It started snowing lightly again during that time.  I went to scrape the ice and the sun had already softened it up enough for me to be able to brush them off without having to use the scraper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Bad forecasts need bad measurements.

:huh:

Listen, no snow forecast is ever going to be perfect in all locations, but this is going to be a pretty great forecast for a difficult April storm. We'll see what the map looks like later today (though our phones are down, so we may have to delay until we can talk to all the Coops, etc), but I think it's going to look pretty good compared to even our Tuesday maps.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, OceanStWx said:

:huh:

Listen, no snow forecast is ever going to be perfect in all locations, but this is going to be a pretty great forecast for a difficult April storm. We'll see what the map looks like later today (though our phones are down, so we may have to delay until we can talk to all the Coops, etc), but I think it's going to look pretty good compared to even our Tuesday maps.

Excellent job Chris. Hope all you Mainiacs  get power soon. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Chris already told you it was an estimate.  Stop breaking ball's 

We couldn't reach them at 18z, but the METAR had a 6 inch snow depth. Based on their previous report we estimated 4.4" additional snow to reach that 6" depth. It could be 5.5" depth rounded up, so maybe you could take that down to 3.9", but it's still a snowfall of 5.5" plus whatever fell after 18z.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tunafish said:

And give up my obs duties?  Never!

 

But seriously this is a deep, internal conflict I have.  I LOVE doing the obs, but I hate that I'm 10-15 miles away from a much better weenie spot.

Just stay within 5 miles or so of the Jetport. :lol:

It is amazing the difference across town. The previous observer was in North Deering (not far from where I am).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I saw Portland had an official Blizzard?

Nah. It's a pretty common mistake that I make all the time. I think Charlie found 3 consecutive obs of blizzard conditions (if you forego the "less than" 1/4 mile bit). But 3 consecutive obs is actually only 2 hours of time. You need 3 hours, so it's really 4 consecutive obs. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We couldn't reach them at 18z, but the METAR had a 6 inch snow depth. Based on their previous report we estimated 4.4" additional snow to reach that 6" depth. It could be 5.5" depth rounded up, so maybe you could take that down to 3.9", but it's still a snowfall of 5.5" plus whatever fell after 18z.

My cousin lives in MHT and said another 2-3" last night after 18z. Hes a few miles north of the airport with a little more elevation but said atleast 8" otg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, wx2fish said:

My cousin lives in MHT and said another 2-3" last night after 18z. Hes a few miles north of the airport with a little more elevation but said atleast 8" otg

WMUR also reporting 9.5 storm total.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...