• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant Miller B Nor'easter Apr 3rd-4th OBS

wxeyeNH

See I think climo is southern/central/eastern areas in coastal storms, ha.  I wish I could be that confident each storm.

Blind squirrel maybe? You know this climo better than anyone.. I just felt good about this one. When that sleet line started creeping north, I felt it was small enough jumps to keep us safe (mostly) but was inching the liquid up. The 3k had a couple runs with the heavy bursts jumping around north of rutland so if we scored a foot in the initial, I thought we’d sail to 20. But im sure this bs “gut” feeling infuriates those with actual meteorological knowledge. Brilliant people analyzing 700mb flow and dgz and I can barely read a sounding.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, UnitedWx said:

Yep! I was 12. I was already following the weather and none of the adults at the time thought we were going to get any snow. I also remember it was pretty warm at least a couple weeks leading up to the storm because we had already done yard clean up and run over the lawn with the mower once to clean up winter crap

It was warm a day or two before the storm…And that was the problem, it was hard to believe a blizzard was on the doorstep..due to the nice weather already in place.  But she was a coming for sure. Great memories. Sensational storm in ‘82.

Congrats to the folks that picked up 18-22” yesterday…that was April 1982 in SNE 42 years ago, but colder and  4 days later to boot. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wow mid winter 

I wish. Mid winter we were flooding :lol: But the glades are in the best shape they’ve been all winter. It’s crazy to be shutting down when it’s looking like that. Although BW will reopen next weekend one last time

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 9:50 PM, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Is there one of these for SNE? I haven't seen BOX post a map....

I didn't see a BOX map either but i finally got the time to make a SNE and CT map for this event.

Snowfall totals from the Apr 3-4 2024 storm. 

If anyone has Season-to-Date snow totals, update the New England Snow page... i'll be making a map for the season this week. 

04_04.24_v3_jdj_sne_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.448c4958f753f5fc7cec4d976170dbc4.jpg

04_04.24_jdj_v3_ct_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.09ffc7b9fd6e87da8803c98f78a37c8f.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2024 at 7:18 PM, klw said:

I was at 78 prior to 3/23 as well.  I am at 115.7 now.  42.3 since 3/20 as I had 4.6 a couple of days prior to the 23rd

Wow.  What is your snowfall average for the winter?  Elevation?

On 4/5/2024 at 10:26 AM, tamarack said:

Much different character, too.  Dry cold pow with temps one might expect in a January blizzard - numerous low max records were set.  Down at NYC it was the most wintry April snowstorm in their 155-year POR.  (Embarrassing for the mets at CAR as well.  Like almost everyone, they expected a sharp right turn OTS and were forecasting cold/windy/flurries.  Instead, they got 26.3", at the time their biggest on record.)

BOS the day after the snowstorm with full sun only had a max of 25 F.  That was *lower* than the previous record low *min* for the day!  -20 to -25 C at 850 behind the storm.  Probably one of the coldest 850 on record NEUS.  I do recall very strong but quick cold shot in early April 1995 (no real storm, just a strong FROPA).  1000-500 thickness dropped below 500 dm for a short time in NNE!

• Like 2

Noted a report on this thread 3-4" of sleet in MA.  What location(s)?  I ask b/c it is not common for anywhere in New England to get 3" or more of sleet in storm, just based on empirical observations.  You see it more often it seems in Dixie/South or continental climate.

Two storms ago with the blockbuster snow amounts in NNE,  3" of sleet was report at a couple locations in ME.

Concerning the "extended" storm snowfalls total in NNE, I was looking at the hydrological reports from GYX through 12z Sunday.   Gray Knob in NH (elevation 4375') reported 45.7" for the storm ending around 12z Sunday!  This is the cabin there presumably that is run by the Randolph Mtn Club?

Day/LEQ/SF: Thu 2.05"  9.0"    Fri  2.68"  28.3"    Sat .53"  4.9"    Sun  .40"  3.5"

This matches well with the HRRR/3 km NAM 10:1 snowfall total forecast for this area (40-55").  Is CoastalWx impressed?! :D

Nice to have verification of these very high totals that the meso models often show.  Now only if we could get something near the summit of Mt Katahdin!

Also 63" OTG Sunday AM Gray Knob.  Highest late season snow OTG for New England I have seen is 135" at Mt Mansfield the 3rd week of April 1996.  27" fell in three days from a cold upper low to raise the snowcover to this point.

If you want to view the hydrological reports from GYX, go here:

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/old.phtml

and enter "HYDGYX."   There are other hut/cabin reports that show up in this bulletin, but Gray Knob was the only one that reported consistently throughout this past storm.

You can go back up to 1500 versions of any NWS text product, which mean for the lesser issued bulletins, you can go 10+ years back in some cases.  Even the text products under the former WSFO/WSO codes, like  BOS/PWM/ORH/PVD/CON/BDL/BDR/ALB/NYC, are here, and go back as far as 1983.  A lot missing though for these codes, but there is some cool stuff to be found!

5 hours ago, vortex95 said:

Wow.  What is your snowfall average for the winter?  Elevation?

1240' elevation.  Unsure of the average but probably it is in the 95" range.  Range has been 78 to 125 inches.

Edit:  I just ran the numbers and my 8 year average is 101.2"

• Like 1