• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
14th Lawn and Garden Thread P Allen Smith 2024

I decided to box up a 6x10' section of my garden and heat it to 40 degrees for last winter.  Things didn't go so well.

• Bougainvillea 'Bengal Orange' - dead
  • Red Abyssinian Banana - dead
  • Blue Java Banana - dead
  • Castor Beans - dead
  • Acalypha - dead
  • Thailand giant elephant ear - dead
  • Gardenia - alive, but defoliated by mites
  • Trachelospermum jasminoides - alive and well

No idea what happened.  I haven't dug them up yet so maybe I'll find underground rodent damage.

Misc: hard to believe that if I had covered the windmill palm for that night of -16 two winters ago, it would have sailed through this winter with ease too.

• Sad 2

Violently agree with Kevin. And not the box store crap. Got to get it at a place like Site-One which is a landscape supply. 

If I didn't have to seed, I would have got it. I'll probably get a round soon when the seed sprouts. 

Really excited to share my lawn project. All new topsoil and seed. 100% organic with no fertilizer or pesticides. Still have a little more to go for it to be completely filled in but it looks nice so far.  And my kitten loves it!

IMG_4207.jpeg

• Haha 4

Acres of lawn growing fast now - dandelions allowed as they're early food for honeybees.  We drive on this grass with vehicles including an 12,000 lb tractor all the time, and never aerate, treat, or water.  When it's dry (as in 2022) it gets brown and we let it go dormant.  Good 'old farm' soil over 12" deep and continued natural wildlife 'fertilization' keeps it happy.

lawn may 10 2024.jpg

• Like 10

I guess this is going to be another gray squirrel apocalypse year.  Too many to count.

They're digging endlessly and wrecking my prepared garden beds.  Every single planter barrel has a ring of dirt kicked onto the ground around it.  I'm going to have to plant through landscape cloth or they'll just kill everything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/9/2024 at 5:07 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Coming up on the magic date of lawns looking their best of May 20. After that as summer hits they start to go downhill somewhat. The back and side yards all have been hydro seeded and just starting to germinate. Lesco FTW in front.  We weed free.

TGtgDPs.jpeg

How many lbs of Lesco with Dimension do I need for 25,000 sf?