Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

6 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Atleast locally to me (MHT) we actually started March 2012 chilly and had a snow event leading into the 1st. It was the middle of the month that went wild into the 70/80s. This one has been more consistently mild with less high end stuff. Pretty sure MHT was around +8.5 in 2012, and around +8 mtd this year. We'll see how the back half ends up but with climo warming we will definitely need some 70s to keep pace.

There was a a pretty good warm up a week before it as well. These are CON’s records.
IMG_4040.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

Who had 90s?

I would even argue March 2012 started 3 weeks after the Halloween storm in 2011 ... because as far as my disc golf records, we missed very few weekends the rest of the way through "the winter that was spring" right into 70s and early green up the following March.   We were out on fairways in cargo shorts and tee shirts by February ... and it was dry too.  Like it was dusty 53 F on a lot of Feb Saturday's. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There was a a pretty good warm up a week before it as well. These are CON’s records.
IMG_4040.jpeg

Yeah that stretch around the 20th was wild. MHT popped an 85. That snow event leading into the 1st was actually ptetty solid, 11" at the airport. 

1 minute ago, Torch Tiger said:

March 2012 had a solid cooldown to end month, btw.  Boston avg temp was 46

they're thinking of Napril '12. 

Yup ... I recall piling out of work around 4:30 pm and when my car finished turning over the dash temp read 33 F.  The day was socked in with clouds all day...

I think it was a like a BD on steroids the day before... It actually came down initially as a north door front and was more back dooring for NJ but ... for 3 days late, we lost the heat by some 50 pts.  I remember remarking to my self in that moment.  I'm pretty sure April bounced back though.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Both were +8 to +8.5 MTD.. dead nuts so far 

True, but they got there by vastly different routes.  2010 was the tortoise, 2012 the hare.
                         At my place:
                       2010          2012
Departure      +7.4          +6.8
Top day dept  +16           +27
Max temp        64             80
Min temp         11             -10
Days BN           3               11

Precip           6.44"         1.85"
Snow              0.6"         14.6"

IMO, "Jr 2012" should have multiple days with 70-75, here, not BDL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

True, but they got there by vastly different routes.  2010 was the tortoise, 2012 the hare.
                         At my place:
                       2010          2012
Departure      +7.4          +6.8
Top day dept  +16           +27
Max temp        64             80
Min temp         11             -10
Days BN           3               11

Precip           6.44"         1.85"
Snow              0.6"         14.6"

IMO, "Jr 2012" should have multiple days with 70-75, here, not BDL.

In the end it will be 2012 Jr. That year as close as this year so far. Can’t be matched with the mild down coming next week 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

27 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

In the end it will be 2012 Jr. That year as close as are so far. Can’t be matched with the mild down coming next week 

Lol…it wont even be close in the end to March 2012.  And to call it a junior is just plain dumb. It may end up above normal… but we won’t have days and days of mid to upper 70’s, and then 5-6 days straight of mid to upper 80’s like that year did. Again, March of 12 is a unicorn.  This is not that, or it’s junior. Period!  The numbers may be close at the moment…but the sensible weather won’t be. And by months end, it’ll be significantly knocked back. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Yeah... it's going to turn substantially cooler next week.   If this impending -EPO were under carriaged by a -PNA ...maybe the heights dive over the Rockies, but because the PNA is actually positive as the EPO is descending that's going to carrier the cold right at the Lakes and NE.  

It'll be offset of Equinox sun/seasonal forcing but it's some but it's going to be chilly.

Spin is fun ... but there's also just lying.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Who had 90s?

No one

Morch 2012 to me stands out for the 10-15 days above 60 degrees. Here’s the actual numbers. No 90s … Barely 80 just one day over 80 at BDL none at ORH. the first half of this month will definitely be similar to Morch 2012 but the 2nd half of this month will probably just be seasonable. 

Using the BOX forecast for BDL next two days. You get an average high of 54.2 the first half of March 2024 compared to 52.9 for the first half of March 2012. 

also to note 5.1” of snow at ORH 1.7” BDL and a pretty strong March arctic shot early in the month with a record low. 

IMG_3221.jpeg

IMG_3220.jpeg