• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

Late season stronger Ninos have had a history of a period of BN and some snow. If there is a BN period, I do not think it lasts long. I mean in April 2016 I had two snow events with one of them struggling for 30F during the day. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

March 1973 also had a late cool down and a touch of snow, which is by far the best analog this month IMO.

hell, even 1998 had a late season event followed by a week of 80s. it was NYC's only snow of the winter

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Late season stronger Ninos have had a history of a period of BN and some snow. If there is a BN period, I do not think it lasts long. I mean in April 2016 I had two snow events with one of them struggling for 30F during the day. 

Yes, April 1982 and 2016 both had decent snow and our lowest maxes on record for the month.

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

hell, even 1998 had a late season event followed by a week of 80s. it was NYC's only snow of the winter

That was preceded by an arctic outbreak with temps near freezing for 4-5 days prior.   Temps like that are unlikely this year

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

March 1973 also had a late cool down and a touch of snow, which is by far the best analog this month IMO.

I'd be curious to see info from March 1991. IIRC that was one of the fairly snowless warm winters in the string of late 80s early 90s period. I was driving back from Florida and we hit a large snowstorm on march 22nd. Ran through it from D.C. to CT. I remember thinking that was the beginning of some good winters after basically four years of nothing   EDIT:   I'm sure Will can remember the exact details in 4.8725 seconds...

18 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

That was preceded by an arctic outbreak with temps near freezing for 4-5 days prior.   Temps like that are unlikely this year

IF the TPV gets displaced like some of the OP runs have shown, I'll buy it. big if for now, but with the ongoing SSW and Pacific wave breaking, it is a possibility. would be silly to totally dismiss it

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Think about this....I have 30" on the season and 19" of it fell on January 7. The rest of the winter I have 11".....which would be far and away my futility record.

My next largest event is 3.5" on January 17th.

What is your seasonal avg? 19" sounds like a hell of a storm but yikes on the rest of winter.

In my 29 years measuring snow imby, the low mark is 25.5" in 2011-12. This season I'm at 20.6" (avg is ~45") so far.

While not as crazy as 19" of 30" falling in 1 day, 16.0" of my 20.6" fell in January (17.0" of Detroits 22.6" fell in January).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

I'd be curious to see info from March 1991. IIRC that was one of the fairly snowless warm winters in the string of late 80s early 90s period. I was driving back from Florida and we hit a large snowstorm on march 22nd. Ran through it from D.C. to CT. I remember thinking that was the beginning of some good winters after basically four years of nothing   EDIT:   I'm sure Will can remember the exact details in 4.8725 seconds...

1992 I remember a later March snow storm…that winter(91-92) sucked too.  After that year it started getting good. 

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

What is your seasonal avg? 19" sounds like a hell of a storm but yikes on the rest of winter.

In my 29 years measuring snow imby, the low mark is 25.5" in 2011-12. This season I'm at 20.6" (avg is ~45") so far.

While not as crazy as 19" of 30" falling in 1 day, 16.0" of my 20.6" fell in January (17.0" of Detroits 22.6" fell in January).

Like 63".

My low point is 19.9" in 1979-1980.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Like 63".

My low point is 19.9" in 1979-1980.

Oh wow, yes with a high avg like that, not good.

Id probably give winter here a D-. As horrible as it was, cannot go F with some incredible thundersnow & a 2 week stretch of deep winter in January. Plus of course, a strong Nino is the worst winters we get, so expectations were low to begin with.

If no more snow fell at Detroit, the 22.6" would rank as 13th least snowy winter (since 1880), but i have a feeling we will see some snow with the upcoming trough. While I totally get things like "if it werent for that 2 week stretch in Jan" for me, or "if it werent for that Jan 7th snowstorm" for you, they still DID happen. So it actually CAN be worse :lol:

Not to go OT but 1979-80 was a sort of fascinating winter in that snowfall was shitty across the board from the midwest/lakes right on into new england and the east coast, but the winter itself was not that mild outside December. Perhaps mother nature just ran dry after the 1976-79 stretch lol. 

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Oh wow, yes with a high avg like that, not good.

Id probably give winter here a D-. As horrible as it was, cannot go F with some incredible thundersnow & a 2 week stretch of deep winter in January. Plus of course, a strong Nino is the worst winters we get, so expectations were low to begin with.

If no more snow fell at Detroit, the 22.6" would rank as 13th least snowy winter (since 1880), but i have a feeling we will see some snow with the upcoming trough. While I totally get things like "if it werent for that 2 week stretch in Jan" for me, or "if it werent for that Jan 7th snowstorm" for you, they still DID happen. So it actually CAN be worse :lol:

Not to go OT but 1979-80 was a sort of fascinating winter in that snowfall was shitty across the board from the midwest/lakes right on into new england and the east coast, but the winter itself was not that mild outside December. Perhaps mother nature just ran dry after the 1976-79 stretch lol. 

I'll go D-....I can't go "F" with a system as electric as that Jan 6-7 deal was.

• Like 3

It frustrates me.  Folk make it abundantly clear they are bargaining and or denying whatever they need in this 'weather satisfaction' game that goes on in here, and while they are parsing out who gets what based on their "narrative imaginations" ...

meanwhile, this is your reality outside said imagination, https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/07/opinions/climate-scientist-scare-doom-anxiety-mcguire/index.html

Now... nooormally I would not condone CNN sourcing for ...anything really.  But unfortunately in this case those contained proportionality are likely more correct than not.

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It frustrates me.  Folk make it abundantly clear they are bargaining and or denying whatever they need in this 'weather satisfaction' game that goes on in here, and while they are parsing out who gets what based on their "narrative imaginations" ...

meanwhile, this is your reality outside said imagination, https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/07/opinions/climate-scientist-scare-doom-anxiety-mcguire/index.html

Now... nooormally I would not condone CNN sourcing for ...anything really.  But unfortunately in this case those contained proportionality are likely more correct than not.

Well, to be fair...this is the weather side....we also have a forum for that. Not trying to be a dick....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, to be fair...this is the weather side....we also have a forum for that. Not trying to be a dick....

No, ... it lapse over.   If people were more cognizant, and as that article is quite implicitly correct ... reacting the way they should, the carry-on that goes on in here would be comprehensively different - and should be.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

No, ... it lapse over.   If people were more cognizant, and as that article is quite implicitly correct ... reacting the way they should, the carry-on that goes on in here would be comprehensively different - and should be.

Well, there is a reason they have a sperate forum for it, regardless of the lapse. 

Folks on this side want to focus on weather...its like going to an automibile forum and lecturing people on vehiclular fatalities every 2 pages.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, there is a reason they have a sperate forum for it, regardless of the lapse. 

Folks on this side want to focus on weather...its like going to an automibile forum and lecturing people on vehiclular fatalities every 2 pages.

Yes….Thank You. :thumbsup:

• Like 1