Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

23 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Close the shades. We've seen way too many times what happens when we have garbage airmasses ahead of impending "potential" storms. We couldn't get anything to evolve to work in our favor during peak climo...how the hell are we going to get it to work nearing mid-March...especially when the airmass out ahead of it is worlds milder. Obviously different story for the mountains up north where they get snow threats through April

Yeah, but given our luck this season this  the time Kev gets his Ice Storm

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Instead of "Heavy at Times" it should just be "Heavy all of the Time."

On an aside, I've always wondered why most of the western forecasts use "Snow Showers" instead of just "Snow".... maybe  @OceanStWx can shed some light on how the grids are populated out there verses the Midwest and East.  Because it does not matter the accumulation, most of the mountain forecasts out west all use "Snow Showers" as the description.

Today: Snow Showers.  Four feet worth of Snow Showers.

May to them snow with visibility less than 1/8 of a mile is their typical snow showers :lol: 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

May to them snow with visibility less than 1/8 of a mile is their typical snow showers :lol: 

I need to experience that type of storm once in my life. Of course it's doubtful there will be skiing tomorrow (even today I think most places are closed on 'wind hold') so that would be frustrating. But to see 5 inches per hour for 35 hours!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, cut said:

I need to experience that type of storm once in my life. Of course it's doubtful there will be skiing tomorrow (even today I think most places are closed on 'wind hold') so that would be frustrating. But to see 5 inches per hour for 35 hours!!!!

Went 2 years ago - this would be amazing to experience:  https://www.skiheavenly.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx

3 minutes ago, ChangeofSeasonsWX said:

Major ice storms are even rarer in SE Mass and RI than in CT it seems. CT is good for severe weather and ice storms. Not often does SE Mass get those.

They are rare in general. Better area for ice is near ORH spine and most especially NH and ME. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

They are rare in general. Better area for ice is near ORH spine and most especially NH and ME. 

Even up here I don’t think of as an ice spot.  I almost think BTV is better as they can get some intense low level cold to funnel down the Champlain Valley.  Here we get sleet or snow or rain.  Obviously there’s transient icing events, and a 1998… but mostly here the depth of the cold is either as high as the ridges (several thousand feet thick) and we get sleet (mountain can get ZR while we IP).  But having a set-up where it’s warm enough at the summits to not re-freeze drops before they get down here, and us holding prolonged surface cold… just not really a thing.

The foothills and interior coastal plain of ME/NH and the Champlain Valley or anywhere else (St Lawrence Valley) with an easy feed of super low level cold is best.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

10 dys ago complete agreement on a March 1st torch. It gone! breezy chilly 36⁰ cloudy at times with cirrus and some stratus

Cold one today. Only a +5 for CON on the max

image.gif

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, ChangeofSeasonsWX said:

Actually, south of the ORH Mass pike region I can only think of two major ice storms that have ever happened. November 1921 was the really big one, and then 1973 also had one I believe. Can't think of any others.

January 1994

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Man, this looks not ideal.

This Afternoon
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. High near 27. Windy, with a southwest wind around 50 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 25 to 31 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. Low around 16. Wind chill values as low as -2. Windy, with a southwest wind 55 to 60 mph decreasing to 49 to 54 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 90 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 48 to 54 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Widespread blowing snow. Steady temperature around 18. Wind chill values as low as -6. Windy, with a west southwest wind 34 to 39 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 22 to 28 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Widespread blowing snow. Low around 17. Wind chill values as low as -3. Windy, with a west southwest wind 37 to 45 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible

insane!

30 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:
This Afternoon
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. High near 27. Windy, with a southwest wind around 50 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 25 to 31 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. Low around 16. Wind chill values as low as -2. Windy, with a southwest wind 55 to 60 mph decreasing to 49 to 54 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 90 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 48 to 54 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Widespread blowing snow. Steady temperature around 18. Wind chill values as low as -6. Windy, with a west southwest wind 34 to 39 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 22 to 28 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Widespread blowing snow. Low around 17. Wind chill values as low as -3. Windy, with a west southwest wind 37 to 45 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible

insane!

Ho lee shit

• Like 1