Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024

TriPol

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This blocking pattern going into April looks legit. MJO 8-1 is teaming up with a wave break for Greenland blocking. While the higher elevations are always favored for April snows, this is the type of pattern that could produce a trace that doesn’t accumulate  much closer to the coast. I guess it would be like what happened in May 2020. Late season blocks have been becoming more common in recent years. 

Had snow showers at night on May 9. Temps also fell to freezing. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I may have to move somewhere else if these late season blocks become the new norm. Can’t deal with these shitty aprils anymore after cool and rainy winters. Absolutely miserable 

can't lie, moving back to southern california is becoming a real possibility... the 3-4 snows a year isn't worth it for all the other crap weather we deal with

• Like 2

Looks about split the next 10 days (i count 5 nice ones and 5 wet/cloudy).  Low of 34 now to a sunny 43 and maxing in the low or mid 50s.   Dry buy cloudy Tue before the next round of showers Wed then perhaps some steadier rain perhaps focusses on eastern areas. Dries out for the Easter weekend Fri - Sun - looking vert nice.  Next month opens dry before trough digs in 4/3- 4/5 with next shot of chill and rain.  Beyond there looks like a bit of back and forth, drying out and warming up a couple of dsys before next trough pushes through.

vis_nj_anim.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 79 (1963)
NYC: 79 (1963)
LGA: 77 (1963)

Lows:

EWR:18 (1956)
NYC: 13 (1878)
LGA: 18 (1940)

Historical:

1843 - A second great snowstorm hit the northeastern U.S. The storm produced snow from Maine all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. Natchez MS received three inches of snow, and up to 15 inches buried eastern Tennessee. Coastal Maine received 204 inches of snow that winter. (David Ludlum)

1901: More than 20 people were killed by an estimated F3 tornado that moved across parts of Birmingham, Alabama. The twister cut a 15-mile path from the south side of the city to Avondale and Irondale.

1914 - Society Hill, SC, was buried under 18 inches of snow, establishing a state record. (Sandra and TI Richard Sanders - 1987)

1934 - A spring storm produced 21 inches of snow at Amarillo TX in 24 hours. However, much of the snow melted as it fell, and as a result, the snow cover was never any deeper than 4.5 inches. (David Ludlum)

1935: Suffocating dust storms frequently occurred in southeast Colorado between the 12th and the 25th of the month. Six people died, and many livestock starved or suffocated. Up to six feet of dust covered the ground. Schools were closed, and tenants deserted many rural homes. 

1948 - For the second time in less than a week airplanes were destroyed by a tornado at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City OK. A March 20th tornado destroyed fifty planes at Tinker AFB causing more than ten million dollars damage, and the March 25th tornado destroyed another thirty-five planes causing six million dollars damage. The first tornado struck without warning, and caused more damage than any previous tornado in the state of Oklahoma. The second tornado was predicted by Fawbush and Miller of the United States Air Force, and their accurate tornado forecast ushered in the modern era of severe weather forecasting. (The Weather Channel) (Storm Data) (The National Severe Storms Forecast Center)

1975 - The town of Sandberg reported a wind gust to 101 mph, a record for the state of California. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Heavy rain left rivers and streams swollen in Kansas and Nebraska, causing considerable crop damage due to flooding of agricultural areas. The Saline River near Wilson Reservoir in central Kansas reached its highest level since 1951. March rainfall at Grand Island NE exceeded their previous record of 5.57 inches. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - An early season heat wave prevailed in the southwestern U.S. The high of 93 degrees at Tucson, AZ, was a new record for March. Windy conditions prevailed across the central and eastern U.S. Winds gusted to 60 mph at Minneapolis MN, and reached 120 mph atop Rendezvous Peak WY. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - A Pacific storm brought wet weather to much of the western third of the country, with heavy snow in some of the higher elevations. La Porte CA was drenched with 3.56 inches of rain in 24 hours. Up to 24 inches of snow blanketed the Sierra Nevada Range. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - Temperatures dipped below zero in the Northern Rocky Mountain Region. Hardin MT was the cold spot in the nation with a morning low of 10 degrees below zero. Freezing drizzle was reported in the Southern Plains Region, with afternoon highs only in the 30s from the Southern High Plains to Missouri and Arkansas. (The National Weather Summary)

1992: Hailstones up to four inches in diameter resulted in more than $60 million in damage in Orlando, Florida. This storm is still the costliest Florida hailstorm on record.

20 hours ago, jm1220 said:

For the Valentines Day 2007 storm I lived in Central PA. That's exactly what it was-probably 8" of snow in 3" of sleet. 4" of snow then the sleet and 4" at the end that added up to 10-12" of absolute cement. Temps were in the teens to around 20 the whole storm. That seriously was the heaviest, densest concrete I remember falling out of the sky. It froze solid and lasted for weeks. In other parts of the state it was so disruptive that major roads/interstates shut down because it's so hard to move. I think in that storm much of this subforum had a big ice event. Much of upstate NY/NNE had 24"+ which I would've much rather experienced, but all the dense sleet made what I had probably just as disruptive. The St Patricks Day 2007 storm I was home on Long Island and remember the insane amount of sleet from that one. So that month long period I saw more sleet than any other time in my life. 

Sounds like a great experience. It would be very enjoyable to get a storm like what you experienced in middle January. The pack would be bulletproof for weeks. 

On 3/23/2024 at 6:27 PM, Roger Smith said:

Possibly not if GFS 12z was on track, first week of April looks rather cool with a rain-snow threat near end of run (on April 8). Would estimate a -3 anomaly for April 1-8 if that guidance verified, but of course it's the GFS past ten days so ...

well that would be bad since there's a total solar eclipse on the 8th lol

whats the 8th looking like up near Syracuse?

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

This blocking pattern going into April looks legit. MJO 8-1 is teaming up with a wave break for Greenland blocking. While the higher elevations are always favored for April snows, this is the type of pattern that could produce a trace that doesn’t accumulate  much closer to the coast. I guess it would be like what happened in May 2020. Late season blocks have been becoming more common in recent years. 

it's looking bad for the eclipse isn't it?

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

But a month earlier than May means more chances of accumulation here?

• Weenie 1

On 3/24/2024 at 7:13 AM, bluewave said:

Yeah, a top 3 finish with JFK recording it’s wettest March.

Maximum 1-Day Total Precipitation 
for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Value
Ending Date
Period of record: 1869-01-01 to 2024-03-23
1 4.25 1876-03-25
2 3.86 2010-03-13
3 3.66 2024-03-23
4 3.44 1977-03-22
5 3.10 1983-03-18
6 2.98 2005-03-28
7 2.95 1914-03-01
8 2.94 1901-03-11
9 2.63 1979-03-06
10 2.61 1953-03-13

Time Series Summary for JFK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, NY - Month of Mar
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Total Precipitation 
Missing Count
1 2024 8.79 8
2 2010 8.62 0
3 1980 8.17 0
4 1953 7.93 0
5 2001 7.00 0
6 1993 6.83 0
7 1983 6.66 0
8 1984 5.99 0
9 2017 5.79 0

How much was the storm total at JFK, Chris?  Was it right behind March 2010 there too? March 2010 was much windier though...

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

We will be in the bullseye come Wednesday

Hopefully it's just light rain

My mom's ceiling in her apartment had a big leak. She lives on the top floor. 

Management said that they will not fix it until late April.

1870452946(1).jpg

1752600263.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, MJO812 said:

Hopefully it's just light rain

My mom's ceiling in her apartment had a big leak. She lives on the top floor. 

Management said that they will not fix it until late April.

1870452946(1).jpg

1752600263.jpg

My buddy is on his 2nd sump pump motor in his cellar since October. The ground is so saturated it runs nonstop

• Sad 1