Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Someone has to mention Feb 23 obs

40/70 Benchmark

5 hours ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Does that mean the MJO isn't just "all the rage" the last 7 years or so like Will said? It's been driving the bus lately? I still don't understand the MJO I need to read a lot about it. And I sure as hell can never understand the plots of it.

It’s just the latest catch phrase and mumbo jumbo that’s all. A few years ago it was the Asian or Siberian snow index, and before that it was the PDO, and then the QBO, and on and on.

There is never any smoking gun. It’s a myriad of all things, and a give and take between so many of those things…so when people try to attribute just one thing(MJO, PDO, QBO ENSO etc etc..)that drives or affects the total pattern, it’s never gonna work. We honestly just don’t know enough, it’s that simple. 

The atmosphere constantly shows us that we are not even close to figuring it out regarding any long range predictions.  It’s basically just a guess in the end.  Which probably is still a good thing, since there are few mysteries anymore, but this long range weather idea surely still is. 

7 hours ago, ice1972 said:

At least CA keeps getting the "atmospheric rivers"........I swear growing up in the Bay Area I never heard it called that and I wonder if you guys here ever heard "bomb cyclone" or "polar vortex" after every noreaster or cold snap.......anyway.....heres to Sping 2024!!!!

Never heard any of that stuff til the last few years

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ice1972 said:

At least CA keeps getting the "atmospheric rivers"........I swear growing up in the Bay Area I never heard it called that and I wonder if you guys here ever heard "bomb cyclone" or "polar vortex" after every noreaster or cold snap.......anyway.....heres to Sping 2024!!!!

I think those are valid met terms that the ever-hyping media has grabbed.

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s just the latest catch phrase and mumbo jumbo that’s all. A few years ago it was the Asian or Siberian snow index, and before that it was the PDO, and then the QBO, and on and on.

There is never any smoking gun. It’s a myriad of all things, and a give and take between so many of those things…so when people try to attribute just one thing(MJO, PDO, QBO ENSO etc etc..)that drives or affects the total pattern, it’s never gonna work. We honestly just don’t know enough, it’s that simple. 

The atmosphere constantly shows us that we are not even close to figuring it out regarding any long range predictions.  It’s basically just a guess in the end.  Which probably is still a good thing, since there are few mysteries anymore, but this long range weather idea surely still is. 

Yep

9 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It's just a shit Pacific period...shame on me for misinterpreting that (again) and thinking we could still have a decent winter. I was wrong. But it's not because of the El Nino...people saying that are also wrong. 

I think people are going to scale back on making winter forecasts . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Its needed, I've seen 1.5" since 01/29 here, Up there has not been much better.

Oh ya they need it….our local friends told us don’t bother coming up currently, it’s beat up, and not worth it.  A good 12+ snowstorm would get em back in biz in short order. 

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Oh ya they need it….our local friends told us don’t bother coming up currently, it’s beat up, and not worth it.  A good 12+ snowstorm would get em back in biz in short order. 

We had no issues, Do you have scratcher's on your new sled?

IMG_4200.png

IMG_4199.png

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm fine with just moving on at this point. If something pops up, great, but I'm done looking at long range charts and chasing.

Unless it’s a major event, I’m out too. But obviously there’s still like 5-6 weeks left for something like that. 

The problem with “being out” in New England in snow threats and cold in favor of warmth is that it rarely ever acquiesces to that particular demand. 2012 was a rare exception. Usually it’s mostly a shit sandwich which then makes me start rooting for snow stat-padder events because it beats 41F mist with a “nice” day being 54F self-destructing sunshine day. 

• Like 2

• dendrite changed the title to Someone has to mention Feb 23 obs
  • dendrite pinned this topic
  • dendrite unpinned this topic