Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8th Eclipse- Last Easy One To See In My Lifetime

Interstate

14 minutes ago, George BM said:

Question for those of you who saw totality in both 2017 and 2024. I notice that the width of totality with this eclipse was larger than it was for 2017. My question is: Did this eclipse's totality seem darker than 2017s?

I would say yes, but my two viewing locations couldn't have been more different so hard to be sure. 2017 was on the side of a mountain in Eastern TN. This year was on Hope Memorial Bridge in downtown Cleveland. Way more artificial light this time around, but it felt about the same, and the 360 degree sunset effect seemed more pronounced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Yikes, 12 hours through NH is nuts. We had a ~50 min backup to go about 6 miles as we were leaving Monday. Stopped in Johnson City, TX, for dinner to get out of it and the local businesses were actually mostly disappointed with the lack of customers. 

I wondered about the local businesses too.  I think it was the gas stations (especially the ones with food) and hotels that really profited.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Well I hope I can start the thread in 21 or so years.  It was a great time.  Next time we should have a meeting place for all of us old people.. lol

Thinking about how old I'll be for that one was an odd feeling. 52...

1 hour ago, George BM said:

Question for those of you who saw totality in both 2017 and 2024. I notice that the width of totality with this eclipse was larger than it was for 2017. My question is: Did this eclipse's totality seem darker than 2017s?

For me, no. It was the same.

Sitting in Houston and already delayed to BWI. I guess I haven’t yet had my last Shiner Bock.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Interstate said:

Well I hope I can start the thread in 21 or so years.  It was a great time.  Next time we should have a meeting place for all of us old people.. lol

There won't be such a thing as "threads" in 21 years, as we currently know it!  Well, other than the Panic Room, where the ageless Reaper @WxWatcher007 will still remain to guide us hapless souls, even well into his retirement by then! :lol:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, TSG said:

Thinking about how old I'll be for that one was an odd feeling. 52...

I hear you on this, I was looking at the maps (https://eclipsewise.com/eclipse.html) and really gets you thinking in timescales that illustrate just how brief a trip we get here even if all goes well and makes you appreciate getting to see this one. 2090s looking good for grandchildren though from an eclipse viewing travel perspective.. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I hear you on this, I was looking at the maps (https://eclipsewise.com/eclipse.html) and really gets you thinking in timescales that illustrate just how brief a trip we get here even if all goes well and makes you appreciate getting to see this one. 2090s looking good for grandchildren though from an eclipse viewing travel perspective.. :lol:

I'll be amazed (and maybe ready for the sweet kiss of death lol) if I make it to the 2090s. I guess modern/future medicine should make 90+ a more enjoyable existence down the road, but idk if it's something I'd want to experience today

8 hours ago, Interstate said:

One of the best parts of totality was when the sun started to peek back out... it almost looked like there was a tear in the sky.

I am pissed I didnt force the family to go.  However it was nice to drive in peace and quiet though.  They got to see it on Facetime.  lol

was expecting the girlfriend to go -- offered to my mom to take her place and spare me a solo drive. She wasn't down w/ the sleeping arraignments... a single queen lol. that said, she ended up regretting not going. Working towards convincing them for a family (read: less expensive for me) Spain 2026 trip

• Like 1

I went to Dallas, and watched the eclipse with my younger cousin and told her all about them. It was an amazing experience, and my second time seeing an eclipse after 2017. 

Of course the pics don’t do justice, and a few minutes is never enough. But it was 100% worth it and I can’t get enough of it.

ohKMci9.jpeg

82hRYai.jpeg

• Like 13

23 hours ago, TSG said:

I'll be amazed (and maybe ready for the sweet kiss of death lol) if I make it to the 2090s. I guess modern/future medicine should make 90+ a more enjoyable existence down the road, but idk if it's something I'd want to experience today

2090s? You must think society will be fully nanotrophic by the 2050s or 60s! I wish I could make it to that medical stage, if I could I could go full on Ray Kurzweil and attain medical escape velocity and live on into the 2200s!

My only picture of totality. This shot was overexposed and too bright in my iPhone, but it cleaned up decent after being darkened in my editor at home. It's nowhere near as good as most of the pics you all took, but it was all I had to work with given a malfunctioning iPhone and only 2.5 minutes. Nothing at all compares to seeing it with the naked eye though.

IMG_3819 (darkened).JPG

• Like 9

On 4/10/2024 at 3:11 PM, TSG said:

Advanced nanotrophic medical applications will not only make being in your 90s more enjoyable, you will be 90 years old and look and feel and work and play like you are about 25 years old. The advances will banish many cancers and other maladies and greatly lengthen telomeres and many people will find themselves living well into their second and even third centuries, while pretty much staying young and vigorous the entire time. People will have multiple careers. Some folks will acquire many doctorate degrees and be many different things because thinking and learning powers will be exponentially  increased. Extended families will contain many generations.

Some of you right now, reading this, will live to see at least 2150. You will get to see many total eclipses. Not all of them will be on earth. Man will venture to the stars. This has already started! Artemis Program

On 4/10/2024 at 9:43 AM, George BM said:

Well, as someone earlier posted, my experience was VERY different. In 2017 I was on top of a mountain off Foothills Parkway in eastern TN, seeing that darkness close in from a distance was awesome! Being in central TX with small elevation changes you couldn't tell/see it closing in. However, it WAS a longer period of darkness than 2017. We had partly cloudy skies and missed about 30-45 seconds of the start of totality because of it, but the rest was awesome. Their neighbor has chickens and both the roosters carried on like it was morning once the sun broke back out. We saw an awesome bright eruption on the south/lower side of the sun during, and then the ring once the moon started clearing the sun. We got to our location about 4 hours in advance (visiting her relatives) and then stayed another day, so travel was not an issue for us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Well, as someone earlier posted, my experience was VERY different. In 2017 I was on top of a mountain off Foothills Parkway in eastern TN, seeing that darkness close in from a distance was awesome! Being in central TX with small elevation changes you couldn't tell/see it closing in. However, it WAS a longer period of darkness than 2017. We had partly cloudy skies and missed about 30-45 seconds of the start of totality because of it, but the rest was awesome. Their neighbor has chickens and both the roosters carried on like it was morning once the sun broke back out. We saw an awesome bright eruption on the south/lower side of the sun during, and then the ring once the moon started clearing the sun. We got to our location about 4 hours in advance (visiting her relatives) and then stayed another day, so travel was not an issue for us. 

Yeah we were close! I was just a bit further south at one of the overlooks on Cherohala Skyway

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 9:06 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

I loved my recent trip to Iceland but I’m not sure I’d risk their weather for an eclipse. 

We’re considering taking the clouds risk and going to iceland in 2026 anyway. I’ve never traveled internationally but it’s always been a country I’d like to see. The eclipse would just be a bonus.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

We’re considering taking the clouds risk and going to iceland in 2026 anyway. I’ve never traveled internationally but it’s always been a country I’d like to see. The eclipse would just be a bonus.

You may want to look into Play Airlines.  You can fly from BWI to Madrid where the weather would likely be better, and do a stopover in Iceland for up to 10 days either going out or coming home. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

You may want to look into Play Airlines.  You can fly from BWI to Madrid where the weather would likely be better, and do a stopover in Iceland for up to 10 days either going out or coming home. 

Yeah I saw Play and Icelandair go direct from BWI to Reykjavik. Much shorter flight than I expected too! I may PM you with some questions at some point if you’re ok with that.

• Like 1