• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8th Eclipse- Last Easy One To See In My Lifetime

Interstate

Just got to Dayton, Ohio with my ambivalent 15 year old son…he will get into it, I hope.  Have options from here, we can go west towards Indy, or to SE Indiana.  Hoping clouds clear here in the am.  Optimal plan was to head to the AF museum (bucket list. Place I have always wanted to hit) to see the cool planes and the eclipse!  Traffic was a breeze, not many cops avg’d about 83mph on I-70.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Dude. That’s going to be so cool with snow cover. I love Jackson. Meanwhile, here in Rockspring, TX, high thin clouds and 80.

I’m hoping everyone that is traveling is able to see the total eclipse and clouds are better than forecast.  Have fun down there!

From the deck, we can see a (very snowy) peak of Mt. Washington in the distance, which is pretty cool.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I’m hoping everyone that is traveling is able to see the total eclipse and clouds are better than forecast.  Have fun down there!

From the deck, we can see a (very snowy) peak of Mt. Washington in the distance, which is pretty cool.

Man, I’m sitting at a brewery eating Texas brisket and Mac and cheese. I’m good!

• Like 6

I’m in Rochester.  Deciding if it makes sense to drive up to Syracuse tomorrow and go a bit north on I-81. Looks like it’ll up my chances, but not too considerably…. Probably just need to hope for a well timed break in the clouds..

• Like 1

We are being taunted by the weather today, which is pretty  clear with some cirrostratus. Today would be fine for an eclipse.

But we all know what's gonna happen tomorrow. 

Very cloudy. Next day, too.

There is a low which will dig unusually far south which will throw plumes of high, mid and low level moisture north and east along with a DRASTIC INCREASE IN HUMIDITY. This will ensure that Texas will enjoy thick cloudy skies tomorrow thru Tuesday along with good rain chances. 

If you want to see the eclipse,  do yourself a favor.  Get on a plane bound for north Maine. There is still time. Maine will have clear weather with spectacular eclipse views!

OUCH! RAIN CHANCES TOMORROW JUST GOT BUMPED UP TO 70 PERCENT! This just gets better and better! That is 70% chance rain in the MORNING as well as afternoon and evening!

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

In Syracuse but it definitely is looking cloudy all over NY.  If it were just me, I’d take the chance and try to swoop over to northern VT/NH, but I’m not going to put my family though that!

North VT and NH will be clear. Promise them the MOON then go there,  get to see the eclipse!

• Like 1

I keep checking the forecast and pivot so fast between optimistic and very nervous for my spot. Would really rather not drive any further west if I can avoid it tomorrow morning - trying to get back to DC by no later than midnight.

Also debating whether or not I care about having a cool place to view the eclipse from. Tempted by the Walmart next to the highway that will provide unlimited (but not free!) snacks and facilities - plus a crazy quick exit in the aftermath.

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I keep checking the forecast and pivot so fast between optimistic and very nervous for my spot. Would really rather not drive any further west if I can avoid it tomorrow morning - trying to get back to DC by no later than midnight.

Also debating whether or not I care about having a cool place to view the eclipse from. Tempted by the Walmart next to the highway that will provide unlimited (but not free!) snacks and facilities - plus a crazy quick exit in the aftermath.

I watched 2017 from a Rite Aid parking lot in SW NC, which allowed me to hop on the highway quickly. It worked out well!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

20 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I watched 2017 from a Rite Aid parking lot in SW NC, which allowed me to hop on the highway quickly. It worked out well!

we might just watch it from the hotel patio since we’re not going to chase any further and we won’t have to fight traffic.

• Like 1

I'm in Canton, TX and the NWS forecast discussion has injected some hope for seeing totality (~1:41-1:45 CDT):

Eclipse Details:

Despite being just ~12 hours from eclipse time, the cloud picture is really no more/less clear than it has been for the pasts everal days. One can find a model solution even in the very near term that supports any sky cover forecast desired, ranging from completely clear to overcast. However, the following currently seems to be the most likely scenario based on close scrutiny of model cloud cover and their typical performance/biases.

An intrusion of low stratus will spread northward into Central Texas by mid-morning, perhaps accompanied by patchy fog. Conditions will likely be at their worst between roughly 9 AM and noon, and the picture may look rather bleak for many during this time period as the low deck impinges on the DFW Metroplex and points to the north and northeast. However, most guidance is becoming increasingly bullish on fairly rapid scattering of this low cloud layer between 11 AM and 2 PM, and this would allow for decent viewing for many areas. That being said, some unlucky spots likely will remain socked in with low cloud cover, particularly across Central Texas, where any very low stratus and/or fog mixesi nto a broken or overcast layer by early afternoon. Guidance is slightly more optimistic in North Texas, with much guidance depicting scattering and even localized dissipation of the low deck prior to eclipse time. While some last vestiges of low stratus may be present, at least some partial viewability does seem likely for many areas of North Texas based on this trend.

Also by early afternoon, a plume of cirrus ahead of the previously discussed upper trough will be spreading in from the west, and these clouds are already present across far West Texas as of 1 AM. However, most guidance indicates that the main swath of the most dense cirrus will remain displaced mainly north of the CWA, with perhaps thinner and more scant cirrus across North Texas. As long as this cirrus does remain on the thinner side, many eclipse features would still be viewable through the veil. The low cloud evolution will be the main factor to watch over the next 12 hours, as a slower erosion of the low deck could still result in substantially worse viewing conditions due to its opaque nature.

-Stalley

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

In Syracuse but it definitely is looking cloudy all over NY.  If it were just me, I’d take the chance and try to swoop over to northern VT/NH, but I’m not going to put my family though that!

Try Plattsburgh?

20 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Satellite looks promising to me… question is whether the light cirrus gets in the way by 3 IMO. Can deal with that but obviously would rather not

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/goes/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=cgl&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24

It's really not looking good for DC and west it seems. That's a lot of low level junk streaming out of West Virginia.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic