Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8th Eclipse- Last Easy One To See In My Lifetime

Interstate

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

I’m unwilling to make the drive that far… which may be dumb. But that’s the smart place to be! Take some cool photos.

Apologies for the spelling error. I was saying you should just go to Maine.

Apologies for the spelling error. I was saying you should just go to Maine.

If I got the energy I think I could make it to Burlington, VT, or the area surrounding Lake Champlain in general. It’s not that much further. Maine is too far and honestly too rural in the totality path.

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

If I got the energy I think I could make it to Burlington, VT, or the area surrounding Lake Champlain in general. It’s not that much further. Maine is too far and honestly too rural in the totality path.

The roads aren’t able to handle the crowds either IMO. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Another valid concern. Saw a funny tweet about people (likely) getting stuck in the mud in Maine with the recent snow as they try and go off-road to get where they need to be. Seems probable enough haha.

I just got back from Northern VT and the eclipse was the top story on the local news every day. They are bracing for armageddon from the sounds of it. Local sheriffs declaring disaster areas etc. Burlington looked like a cool town and we had some good food there as we drove back to MD.

We are in Dallas with a group of old friends who arranged it all about a year ago. Looking more and more bleak and we are considering hitting the road towards northern Arkansas or beyond. Decisions, decisions...

I’m driving right now and using voice to write this, but does the 12z gfs look markedly better for Texas?

edit: stopped for a beer and bite outside of San Antonio and gfs isn’t “markedly” better, but 3k nam looks like the front is further east.

Hoping for clear skies for all.

I just canceled my Keene, NH hotel reservation (had that as a "launching point" for a possible Maine trek). Based on distance and people commenting about poor road options in rural Maine...just not worth it. 

I still have a Binghamton, NY hotel reservation that's cancelable until midnight tonight...but that precip and cloudiness is precarious.

I'm getting close to just risking it and using my solar filter/telescope to observe this one from MBY in Maryland and then saving up/booking an Italy-->Greece eclipse cruise for 2027. 

Also...there's some homeland security warnings about eclipse gatherings being soft targets for potential malicious actors...don't doubt it with local law enforcement dealing with crowds swelling to many times normal amounts. 

It sucks having this cut through places not too far from here but it being logistically very tough. I missed totality in 2017 by about 8 miles...I vowed to not let this happen this time but it might be less stressful (but much pricier) to plan internationally for 2026/27). I wish we all had the money and means to go chase every eclipse...

• Like 1

Looks increasingly poor for Niagara Falls unfortunately. Might try Monday morning to drive from our rental to the Syracuse area if it looks better. 

My litmus test has been, do I have a better than 50/50 shot anywhere within 6 hours or so?

Gonna rely on Tomer’s tool for cities (linked below) tomorrow and make a final call around this time. Increasingly likely my chase partner (girlfriend) ditches me tomorrow lol so I kinda don’t want to solo if it’s a tough call.

http://arctic.som.ou.edu/tburg/products/realtime/eclipse/

3 hours ago, AU74 said:

We are in Dallas with a group of old friends who arranged it all about a year ago. Looking more and more bleak and we are considering hitting the road towards northern Arkansas or beyond. Decisions, decisions...

I'm heading to Dallas too but sans car and hoping for the best.  If you find me hiding under an umbrella at the Cotton Bowl - I'll never admit that I have 3 degrees in meteorology. 

• Haha 2

I don't want this to influence anyone's plans, but I am getting increasingly pessimistic about NY.  As you step down in heights on the 12z euro, you see a gradual lowering of the cloud deck, such that any one spot is likely to be cloudy.  I'm still headed up there, but tempering my expectations.

300rh.us_ne.thumb.png.512eacb428614255e2728ae5e1c20b1f.png500rh.us_ne.thumb.png.de6b98437e1b7ecdec6f9ff22df91e65.png700rh.us_ne.thumb.png.a7e9c4ea66f7faf19da5ac92e9b4727d.png850rh.us_ne.thumb.png.1565e9d53c06285e6b2a06238637185f.png

23 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

My litmus test has been, do I have a better than 50/50 shot anywhere within 6 hours or so?

Gonna rely on Tomer’s tool for cities (linked below) tomorrow and make a final call around this time. Increasingly likely my chase partner (girlfriend) ditches me tomorrow lol so I kinda don’t want to solo if it’s a tough call.

http://arctic.som.ou.edu/tburg/products/realtime/eclipse/

We just made the call to abandon NY. Got a place in NH 20 mins outside the path of totality and will drive to see it. We are in Long Island for a family thing and will head up in the morning. 

• Like 2

We just made the call to abandon NY. Got a place in NH 20 mins outside the path of totality and will drive to see it. We are in Long Island for a family thing and will head up in the morning. 

Yeah, I’ve been noticing places just outside the path of totality have higher prices but the gouging isn’t crazy bad. Considering getting a place 80% of the way there, stay overnight Sunday, and finish the drive Monday so it’s not too painful.

As you can probably tell I’ve had a lot of ideas lol but hardly a fleshed out plan. Not a good sign

17 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Yeah, I’ve been noticing places just outside the path of totality have higher prices but the gouging isn’t crazy bad. Considering getting a place 80% of the way there, stay overnight Sunday, and finish the drive Monday so it’s not too painful.

As you can probably tell I’ve had a lot of ideas lol but hardly a fleshed out plan. Not a good sign

I think that’s a good idea, and there seems to be some decent availability. I highly recommend going to see it…it’s really freaking cool. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I don't want this to influence anyone's plans, but I am getting increasingly pessimistic about NY.  As you step down in heights on the 12z euro, you see a gradual lowering of the cloud deck, such that any one spot is likely to be cloudy.  I'm still headed up there, but tempering my expectations.

300rh.us_ne.thumb.png.512eacb428614255e2728ae5e1c20b1f.png500rh.us_ne.thumb.png.de6b98437e1b7ecdec6f9ff22df91e65.png700rh.us_ne.thumb.png.a7e9c4ea66f7faf19da5ac92e9b4727d.png850rh.us_ne.thumb.png.1565e9d53c06285e6b2a06238637185f.png

And then the 3km NAM comes in a with a perfectly acceptable solution.

cloudcover.us_ne.thumb.png.1ffae9b585c7b226780d67f053950315.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I’ve stopped looking at models and forecasts. We’re just going to the place we booked in Ohio and hoping for the best. It’ll be a fun trip regardless. Good luck to all on here.

You know, this is probably the best attitude to be honest.  Go where you can get to and deal with what ends up happening, no point in stressing out over it.  I've never been in a position to have a bunch of possible locations and change that on a dime, myself.  And, my trip to the Cleveland to see family there for the eclipse ended up being canceled anyhow.  Partly due to logistical issues with the drive, plus the not-great-look that I saw showing up in the middle of last week.  So I decided to just be OK staying here in the DC area with a partial coverage (~87%) and hopefully can get some nice shots of that at least.  I hope you have a good time in Ohio, regardless of how things are!  I'm biased having grown up there, but I like the place, it's my home!  I'll get in a visit up that way another time this year, maybe can catch a Guardians' game while I'm at it.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You know, this is probably the best attitude to be honest.  Go where you can get to and deal with what ends up happening, no point in stressing out over it.  I've never been in a position to have a bunch of possible locations and change that on a dime, myself.  And, my trip to the Cleveland to see family there for the eclipse ended up being canceled anyhow.  Partly due to logistical issues with the drive, plus the not-great-look that I saw showing up in the middle of last week.  So I decided to just be OK staying here in the DC area with a partial coverage (~87%) and hopefully can get some nice shots of that at least.  I hope you have a good time in Ohio, regardless of how things are!  I'm biased having grown up there, but I like the place, it's my home!  I'll get in a visit up that way another time this year, maybe can catch a Guardians' game while I'm at it.

This is where I'm at right now, attitude-wise. I planned "to the hilt" in 2017, for a mere PARTIAL eclipse, to set up my tripod and cameras in the backyard to do time lapse pics of that event...only to have a thunderhead form LITERALLY 5 minutes ahead of the partial eclipse, and obscure most of the "festivities" that day. I'll probably be way too old to care, let alone know, that the next major eclipse is happening (in the 2070's, right?)...so I've got my solar filter for my phone for whatever happens Monday, and I'm happy to take pics of that. 

• Like 1

This is where I'm at right now, attitude-wise. I planned "to the hilt" in 2017, for a mere PARTIAL eclipse, to set up my tripod and cameras in the backyard to do time lapse pics of that event...only to have a thunderhead form LITERALLY 5 minutes ahead of the partial eclipse, and obscure most of the "festivities" that day. I'll probably be way too old to care, let alone know, that the next major eclipse is happening (in the 2070's, right?)...so I've got my solar filter for my phone for whatever happens Monday, and I'm happy to take pics of that. 

2045! Perks of being young is that I can always try that one (fingers crossed) if I bail out of this one.
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

2045! Perks of being young is that I can always try that one (fingers crossed) if I bail out of this one.

ouch. I will be 81, and in all likelihood quite dead, at the rate I am going.

• Weenie 1

11 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Another valid concern. Saw a funny tweet about people (likely) getting stuck in the mud in Maine with the recent snow as they try and go off-road to get where they need to be. Seems probable enough haha.

Yeah those mud ruts are very REAL.

One valuable lesson I have learned about the eclipse.

NEVER brag about how sunny it is in Texas during an eclipse.

That jinxed it but good. Now we are gonnabe socked in but good.

The ONLY thing it is safe to brag about living in central Austin, is how hurricanes can't ever hit me!

Too much real estate and too much dry air. I can't jinx that, no matter how hard I try.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic