Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8th Eclipse- Last Easy One To See In My Lifetime

Interstate

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

We were originally supposed to stay in Chagrin Falls, OH, but the owner canceled on us last year cause he was selling the property. So now we’re booked in Bristolville, OH. I’ll get fringed in a last minute north trend. :lol:

With the earth's axis tilting up for summer, wouldn't that imply a south trend? I don't think the model guidance will be honing on this until it gets closer to the event? /s

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

With the earth's axis tilting up for summer, wouldn't that imply a south trend? I don't think the model guidance will be honing on this until it gets closer to the event? /s

Naaaaaah. No south trend. This puppy is squarely in my back yard. This is one example of when its great to be in the bullseye 4 weeks out.

So many of you are gonna be in Texas, I think we need to have a Texas Conference.

I'll be doing a deep dive into the Texas Snow and Ice Event of February 2021. I'll be using full-on meteorological jargon, like Typhoon Tip.

You really haven't fully investigated real beer and real authentic barbeque, until you have experienced Texas Beers and real authentic Texas BBQ!

If you are truly serious about getting Eclipsed, you should be just as serious about getting Texas Beer'ed and Barbequed. lol

Do yourself a REAL favor and try the Texas Brisket! You'll LOVE it!

22 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yeah on second thought, south trend was a thing during the winter- right where we want it this far out. :lol:

On a serious note, I have a bunch of worries... clouds, traffic, etc... hopefully it works out! We've got glasses from Lunt, plus I made shoebox viewers. :D

Based on experience with Aug 2017 (seen at Baker City, OR), plan for massive traffic congestion in immediate aftermath of eclipse to about 6-9 hrs past then, millions of people are likely to stream into viewing zone and as they can go to best viewing spots, the better your view, the worse the traffic will be. It took us all day to get from Baker City to Pendleton on I-84, and traffic was still heavy at midnight in Seattle ... we drove all the way home to BC after making the eclipse a last day of a ten-day road trip. I wasn't totally surprised by volume of traffic but it was probably even worse than I had expected. Gas up before the eclipse because every gas station you can see on return trip will be swarmed, not to mention disrupting your slow progress to get off route into gas station

If you have any flexibility in view location at last minute, take it, nothing worse than being under overcast sky, when 100 miles away it's clear. (that wasn't a problem in 2017, the entire western third of the country was cloud-free and we were looking at good forecasts a week in advance). 

Prepare to be surprised by how quickly it gets dark at the final stage, it goes from twilight to near darkness in about ten seconds. It's safe to look directly at the final stage (I would say within 1 or 2 minutes of full contact) as 99% of sunlight is then blocked out. You'll probably see "Bailey's beads" and diamond ring effect. As sun is near peak activity, you'll see a larger and more varied corona than we saw in 2017 near solar min. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m flying in Friday night and spending Saturday in SA. Driving west a couple hours for Sunday and Monday, and back to SA Tuesday and Wednesday.

Nice. I'll be flying in Thursday and staying until Tuesday. Sunday and Monday will depend on weather conditions, but probably going to be somewhere within a few hours of downtown. Very excited, never been to that area before. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

Based on experience with Aug 2017 (seen at Baker City, OR), plan for massive traffic congestion in immediate aftermath of eclipse to about 6-9 hrs past then, millions of people are likely to stream into viewing zone and as they can go to best viewing spots, the better your view, the worse the traffic will be. It took us all day to get from Baker City to Pendleton on I-84, and traffic was still heavy at midnight in Seattle ... we drove all the way home to BC after making the eclipse a last day of a ten-day road trip. I wasn't totally surprised by volume of traffic but it was probably even worse than I had expected. Gas up before the eclipse because every gas station you can see on return trip will be swarmed, not to mention disrupting your slow progress to get off route into gas station

If you have any flexibility in view location at last minute, take it, nothing worse than being under overcast sky, when 100 miles away it's clear. (that wasn't a problem in 2017, the entire western third of the country was cloud-free and we were looking at good forecasts a week in advance). 

Prepare to be surprised by how quickly it gets dark at the final stage, it goes from twilight to near darkness in about ten seconds. It's safe to look directly at the final stage (I would say within 1 or 2 minutes of full contact) as 99% of sunlight is then blocked out. You'll probably see "Bailey's beads" and diamond ring effect. As sun is near peak activity, you'll see a larger and more varied corona than we saw in 2017 near solar min. 

As a participant in eastern TN for the 2017 event, this! 

11 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO nice to live right in the path of totality of this puppy. No trafficking for me!

Are you close to center of track or edge? It won't last very long near edge of track. You could get into a spot where totality lasted only a few seconds, near the edge of the track of "totality." Best results in the center but it goes up in duration like a sine curve so halfway edge to center is going to score 3/4 of duration. All dependent on weather, I think TX is the best bet. I would expect a fairly well-organized low over the western Great Lakes and a lot of clouded over locations in the central plains at least east of OK. Upstate NY could be good also. (based on research into relationships between low pressure position and new/full moon.  

At Baker City we could see the shadow rapidly approaching us over hills to our west. 

I'm planning to drive to Erie, PA for eclipse. I remember driving to Clemson, SC for the last totality event and holy moly was traffic crazy the day of so I'm ready for it this time. I'm expecting major arteries to be extremely busy. This one'll be my third but hopefully won't be clouded over like my first eclipse.

This map will let you click anywhere and the little popup will tell you exactly how long totality will last in your location:

https://nso.edu/for-public/eclipse-map-2024/

I'm taking my family to Texas for the same reason as many others...seemed like the best chance for sunny weather. We should be looking at about 3.5 minutes of totality in our location which will be a lot of fun.

I was in upstate SC for the 2017 eclipse and traffic afterwards was a nightmare. I learned my lesson though and booked a spot right in the path this time, so no travel the day of will be required. Can't wait

42 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This map will let you click anywhere and the little popup will tell you exactly how long totality will last in your location:

I'm taking my family to Texas for the same reason as many others...seemed like the best chance for sunny weather. We should be looking at about 3.5 minutes of totality in our location which will be a lot of fun.

I was in upstate SC for the 2017 eclipse and traffic afterwards was a nightmare. I learned my lesson though and booked a spot right in the path this time, so no travel the day of will be required. Can't wait

I like this one better

https://nationaleclipse.com/maps.html

4 hours ago, biodhokie said:

I'm planning to drive to Erie, PA for eclipse. I remember driving to Clemson, SC for the last totality event and holy moly was traffic crazy the day of so I'm ready for it this time. I'm expecting major arteries to be extremely busy. This one'll be my third but hopefully won't be clouded over like my first eclipse.

I am going to try Springville NY... I have family up in State College that I might stay at on Sunday night. Weather depending.

45 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I was in upstate SC and also stayed in the path. We drove about 10-15 mins to a park and it was very smooth. This time we’re staying in the path in TX but I’m helping at one of the events near the center so we’re driving about 40 mins west. I’m a bit nervous about the return trip in the afternoon/evening…

DAMN. We are taking a road trip to El Paso to see our sons starting middle of next week and returning on 4/6...we'll miss the path of totality by FOUR days. Tempted to talk my wife into lingering on the trip back home for this...but I'm already taking 2.5 weeks of leave...plus, the traffic's gonna suck in and out.  :( 

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

My hope with driving is that if I leave at midnight, drive with a partner who can drive back at like 10pm and trade sleeping hours, and just fully commit to a lost day, the driving will be OK. Avoiding daylight hours. Maybe optimistic still lol.

I'm getting really concerned about the projected number of people going into OH and PA. It's a 6 hour drive for us even without traffic. Not sure what we're gonna do if we wake up the morning of the 7th and see it estimating the drive to be like 14 hours, so I'm working on a backup plan lol

There's like almost zero flights available now into CLE or anywhere in the path.

I'm getting really concerned about the projected number of people going into OH and PA. It's a 6 hour drive for us even without traffic. Not sure what we're gonna do if we wake up the morning of the 7th and see it estimating the drive to be like 14 hours, so I'm working on a backup plan lol
There's like almost zero flights available now into CLE or anywhere in the path.

I think the only way to go is to leave the night before if you are driving to OH/PA. Even that might be tricky, but hoping it’s plausible. Morning of probably will be more frustrating than it’s worth even if you get there, lol

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic