Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

So now we should all worry about that ? Let's enjoy the storm and see what happens during the storm. Just yesterday majority of people on here didn't even think it would snow.

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

South shore is looking better than a yesterday. 

I don't get all the negative comments. Just enjoy the snow .

It might be the last snow of the season .

I'll definitely enjoy it and not negative whatsoever about it. Just have to be realistic about a storm coming into this airmass and we're still on the southern end of the good stuff. I'm getting excited for my area-the "sniff rain" zone like I said should be good in this storm. But southern NYC and the south shore could still be a ton of white rain. Head up to Van Cortlandt Park for this one. 

• Like 1

Just now, psv88 said:

Many teachers commute from well outside the city. 

that's what's funny-most businesses also have people commuting in from places far away do they close?  No.  Granted people can work remotely these days but in the past you were expected to get into the office unless it was truly awful/impassable.

i was listening this morning to craig allen before 7:00 am and he was predicting 1-3 for the city maybe 3 to 6 if the changeover is faster and heavier a lot of factors are taking place it been warm it will rain first and he also mentioned the daylight factor i.e sun angle lol..

If we get the 1-2" per hour rates advertised by most of the models, the snow will accumulate even on paved surfaces at 33-34F - will take a little while to start, but remember, once there's a layer of snow, the "surface" is now 32F slush, which will make subsequent accumulation much easier than on 33-34F wet ground and the heat transfer coefficient of air is 1/20th that of liquid/solid (wet ground), so melting will be greatly reduced once we're only relying on vapor phase driven melting.  Trust me on this.  We've seen it countless times in March/April, but the key is having >1" per hour intensity sustained for awhile.  And I'm not talking about accumulation on treated, paved high traffic streets that are likely 38F or more.  Also, even if accumulations on city streets and treated highways is minimal in some cases, visibility is going to be terrible with heavy snow falling, which will make driving difficult by itself.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

that's what's funny-most businesses also have people commuting in from places far away do they close?  No.  Granted people can work remotely these days but in the past you were expected to get into the office unless it was truly awful/impassable.

Ok chief! 

5 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Omg so many annoying people on here…. I live well outside the city so don’t care… but you all forget the late season snow where it actually accumulated mind you this is in Feb!!!!! Jfc 

I know. People keep talking about wet roads in these marginal situations but most people live outside of the heat island. Bottom line, if it snows hard enough it will stick everywhere even with marginal temps. This is February 12th, not March 12th. It's all about the dynamics and this storm looks to be a quick heavy thump.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kat5hurricane said:

I know. People keep talking about wet roads in these marginal situations but most people live outside of the heat island. Bottom line, if it snows hard enough it will stick everywhere even with marginal temps. This is February 12th, not March 12th. It's all about the dynamics and this storm looks to be a quick heavy thump.

RIGHT!!!! Looked what happened a few years ago in Nov!! 

Man we (including me) just do not know how to enjoy a snowstorm on our doorstep.  Finally it looks like a mostly snow event for everyone, and right on cue begins the debate about school closures.

I don't know how to enjoy it either so here's a variation on it:  Since when did suburban sanitation collection grind to a halt the moment we get two inches of snow? And not even delayed til the next day.  Just skipped as if the day never even happened.  

• Like 1

It’s mostly because of school buses and the risks associated with some of our most at risk students. It’s definitely less about teacher commutes. Plus a situation like this is a scheduling nightmare with low attendance rates and little learning happening.

• Thanks 1

Just now, EastCoastKU said:

It’s mostly because of school buses and the risks associated with some of our most at risk students. It’s definitely less about teacher commutes. Plus a situation like this is a scheduling nightmare with low attendance rates and little learning happening.

Do agree with that and you need to give dual working households times to prep for child care.  It's a no win either way-half the people will be happy half will be upset.   In a year like this with little snow a freebie day isn't the worst thing in the world.

• Like 1

Just now, Brian5671 said:

Do agree with that and you need to give dual working households times to prep for child care.  It's a no win either way-half the people will be happy half will be upset.   In a year like this with little snow a freebie day isn't the worst thing in the world.

Let the kids enjoy the snow. I have no problem with a snow day 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I heard they had to walk to and from work and school during a blizzard.  Uphill. Both ways.

Seriously, with technology now allowing WFH and the fact that most of us are expected to be accessible outside work hours via mobile phone and email, it's silly not to play it safe and pivot to remote work for the day.

Educators know that half the kids are out on days that snow anyway and they'll get better work out of the kids if they're remote or, even better, if they make the day up later in the year.  Plus nobody gets hurt on school grounds and everybody avoids a dangerous commute, and the roads are lighter for emergency vehicles and snow removal.  

• Like 1

• Northof78 changed the title to 2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic