• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Following a Miller A/B hybrid type coastal potential, Feb 13th ... As yet untapped potential and a higher ceiling with this one

Typhoon Tip

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I do not agree.

Yeah, I’m just feeling cautious on this one. Let’s  see how modeling goes once we get into some better sampling tomorrow. I’m just worried about S stream coming in weaker and getting suppressed. 
are you thinking we start to see slightly more amped north trends showing up?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

All you need is 12 hours in a good deformation area.

Yes and this has some juice to it. It’s not going to put up 20-burgers all over the place but there’s potential for a widespread 10-14” if it breaks right. 2/9/17 is another quick hitter that comes to mind that kind of reminds me of this….produced a lot of 10-14” amounts even though the event was basically a 9-12 hour job. 

Be leery of the north trend though on the southern streamers. 

• Like 3

That improved confluence to the north increases the risk of suppression but it definitely helps with better cold air source and even better frontogenesis with a stronger baroclinic zone.

Sort of playing with fire but I like the look now a lot better than 2 days ago.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CT Rain said:

That improved confluence to the north increases the risk of suppression but it definitely helps with better cold air source and even better frontogenesis with a stronger baroclinic zone.

Draws down some colder air in the CCB…temps would def be less of an issue on that look. They’d be marginal at the onset but once it got cranking, you have like -6 at 925 ingested into the system.  

16 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, I’m just feeling cautious on this one. Let’s  see how modeling goes once we get into some better sampling tomorrow. I’m just worried about S stream coming in weaker and getting suppressed. 
are you thinking we start to see slightly more amped north trends showing up?

Yes. Absolutely. 

• Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes and this has some juice to it. It’s not going to put up 20-burgers all over the place but there’s potential for a widespread 10-14” if it breaks right. 2/9/17 is another quick hitter that comes to mind that kind of reminds me of this….produced a lot of 10-14” amounts even though the event was basically a 9-12 hour job. 

Be leery of the north trend though on the southern streamers. 

I had 6" in 3 hours in 1/7....that will happen somewhere in this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yep, like I said earlier....higher stakes.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No 1/7 please. Let’s spread the love. 

At least it looks like if the track is similar to 1/7, we’ll be significantly colder with that high trying to press down and getting that airmass ingested. 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

At least it looks like if the track is similar to 1/7, we’ll be significantly colder with that high trying to press down and getting that airmass ingested. 

It's actually the weak S/W and attendant back side flow going normal to the hydrostatic gradient ( i.e., CAA) ... which scoots by overnight Saturday night - while not a huge deal, it is crucial and starts that process ...  

image.png.23fc991836a2be905e3d8664a4acf964.png

The advent of 'sneaky' cold advection 30 ... 36 hours prior to arrive disturbances is quite highly correlated - for those that don't know to look for that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I feel like this will be a south of Pike event. Let’s see how models look tomorrow but I’m planning on a light event up this way.

Lol, yesterday and the day before it was just the opposite.  Give it another couple days, and it may be different yet again. 

ECMWF likely would have been GFS-like. slightly stronger and faster vort, but more confluence. note the wind barbs are more WNW-ly rather than W on the ECMWF, hence more of a pushback against latitude gain

not sure how far this thing can really push north. you have a big ass TPV lobe sitting nearby

ezgif-1-395737edaa.thumb.gif.8edce231cfa14ac289bcf6d43cfe10d6.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

ECMWF likely would have been GFS-like. slightly stronger and faster vort, but more confluence. note the wind barbs are more WNW-ly rather than W on the ECMWF, hence more of a pushback against latitude gain

not sure how far this thing can really push north. you have a big ass TPV lobe sitting nearby

ezgif-1-395737edaa.thumb.gif.8edce231cfa14ac289bcf6d43cfe10d6.gif

Ideally, I would like the mid level goodies to settle a bit south of me on guidance.

• Like 1

Gfs schooling the euro and the pope with the non phasing, more SS focused, and stronger confluence. Regardless of surface output…it has lead the way. We could still see the SS amp up with weaker confluence over the next 72hrs though so that’s another wrickle we’ll need to fine tune but we’re more hopeful SoP then we were 36hrs ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Gfs schooling the euro and the pope with the non phasing, more SS focused, and stronger confluence. Regardless of surface output…it has lead the way. We could still see the SS amp up with weaker confluence over the next 72hrs though so that’s another wrickle we’ll need to fine tune but we’re more hopeful SoP then we were 36hrs ago.

TPV stuff is so fickle. wouldn't surprise me to see a northern correction, but could keep going farther south. just gotta sit and wait. the synoptic pattern is solid enough with all of the LP in the northern ATL to prevent this from just flying north

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-mslp_anom-7760800.thumb.png.9e54f7b2218077568c8b7e0b7a8c8fa1.png