• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What a morning.  It’s still snowing nicely too.

jelly

The winds were roaring at the Beast, straight up the mountain.  One lift was running but with frequent stops as the seats of the chairs were getting blown upright as the chair descended.  Most of the 2-3" that fell was blown to hell, but there were a few nice pockets where it collected in protected spots and was subsequently pretty deep... always an interesting transition from wind buffered hardpack to that stuff.  Great thing about eastern skiing is it's always different... day to day, and even on the same day, same mountain, same trail.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro def starting to look more interesting for something higher end….long time to go obviously but good to see many of the pieces in place 

you actually do have a lot in place... vort moving out of the W US, anomalous PNA ridging, a weak but present Davis Strait block to displace the TPV, and an Atlantic trough that almost provides a sort of pseudo 50/50 low

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-8592400.thumb.png.e2a648287172985eec34cc5687e64266.png

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-mslp_anom-8668000.thumb.png.6bc3bfe1577d7e4f28cb390f67cef03c.png

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

you actually do have a lot in place... vort moving out of the W US, anomalous PNA ridging, a weak but present Davis Strait block to displace the TPV, and an Atlantic trough that almost provides a sort of pseudo 50/50 low

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-8592400.thumb.png.e2a648287172985eec34cc5687e64266.png

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-mslp_anom-8668000.thumb.png.6bc3bfe1577d7e4f28cb390f67cef03c.png

Only thing we don’t have is a good antecedent airmass (surprise!) but obviously a big dynamic system could overcome that. Airmass could improve some as we get closer….the setup could look a bit different. People will have to remember this is D7-8

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Great airmass in place with the freezing line over a moose den.

Northern stream is cold. Feels like you’d need that inserted into the system at some point to turn it into something major. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

A 961 low with low QPF. That's an odd one.

yeah... it's a solution caught in 'physical emergence' if you will.  The next run will be 974 but 30" LOL

If this run scanned recursively back through it's solution it would probably have refined an inky CCB blog curved all the way back to Berks

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah it tries to get incorporated last minute. Will need that.

I think I’d like the evolution better if the  southern vort went east a bit and then got captured by the northern stream digging and pulled back NW. That would create a cold CCB

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I think I’d like the evolution better if the  southern vort went east a bit and then got captured by the northern stream digging and pulled back NW. That would create a cold CCB

Feb 13? LOL. It's amazing how bad the antecedent airmasses have been the last two years.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I still don't like the look of the GEFS...trended badly from 06z, I thought....north again.

GEPS looked good.

Not trying to gaslight - you see what you see... But, from my perspective it was better than the 06z because it was more coherent.  The 06z was not as deep pressure, and spread out over a larger area.

You actually gain on this iteration, conceptually, because we need to get the advent of system more secure before we start divvying up who gets f*ed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Feb 13? LOL. It's amazing how bad the antecedent airmasses have been the last two years.

Yeah can’t buy a good setup….but who knows. Maybe we’ll get the unicorn bombing out that makes the airmass less of a concern. We’re due for an April ‘97…not trying to get greedy. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah can’t buy a good setup….but who knows. Maybe we’ll get the unicorn bombing out that makes the airmass less of a concern. We’re due for an April ‘97…not trying to get greedy. 

I would forgive two years worth of winter sins for that.