• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

35 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Some of These people are just completely out of their gord.   Now we have people saying snow melts as quickly as it stops in mid February…WTF? Who the heck are these dummies?   And they have the nerve to say it happens in NNE too.  This place is a complete f’n dumpster fire.  Lots of utter worthless and untrue BS. 

You ever tried riding in the river valleys in late February? It usually sucks. I've been riding in Baker River Area for years and around 20 Feb the trails are usually toast, half gravel half snow. Maybe not every year, but most. The elevations are still ok. 

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Wolfie you should take you own advice and log off when nothing is going on and nothing is forecast to for 14 days , there is really nothing going on for days and all you Are gonna be is frustrated and then replying to people who are complaining the winter sucks . There is literally no upside for you 

I plan on doing the same as there isn’t much to talk about 

He needs to go sledding again. When he did that a few weeks back, he was so much happier. The second consecutive ratter has him on tilt.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Wolfie you should take you own advice and log off when nothing is going on and nothing is forecast to for 14 days , there is really nothing going on for days and all you Are gonna be is frustrated and then replying to people who are complaining the winter sucks . There is literally no upside for you 

Lots to talk about in NE NNE!

Wolfie has a larger scope of interest than most Connecticutians here. It's not just his north facing yard pack at stake.

Wife asked why the photo? I told her , "To tease the weenies".

She said, "That's my job."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I had snow and sleet stick Sunday morning. 

..not here...had a spotty coating on the grass but most of that melted.....no real accumulation till around 7 PM

Edit: had a total of 1.9 inches....certainly lost 1-2 inches of potential accumulation 

• Like 1

That curious look for the cold shot this weekend with massive ridge in plains and trough in the northeast is going to continue to flatten out

It looks very MJO phase 6ish. Notorious lag, i know but we've been in phase 7 and will remain so into the weekend. 

Sell BN. Think good chance it turns out AN both days. Likely really nice for early feb..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ground is sufficiently cold. My street had no problem with snow sticking even being above freezing for days. 

This is what I mean…some of the stuff is laughable. That was my point. Sure feathers are gonna melt or sublimate. But as you said a girth pack ain’t melting much at all on Feb 15th as was said..and they even went so far as to say NNE too. 

Just now, WinterWolf said:

This is what I mean…some of the stuff is laughable. That was my point. Sure feathers are gonna melt or sublimate. But as you said a girth pack ain’t melting much at all on Feb 15th as was said..and they even went so far as to say NNE too. 

The snow/sleet on Sunday wasn't "feathers" and yesterday in the front yard it was melting...

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Dreading it. 

The most overrated, overused, and misunderstood concept on the planet 

I think it ranks above clown maps if that's even possible, I think a record was set on this last event with them.............:lol:

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

That curious look for the cold shot this weekend with massive ridge in plains and trough in the northeast is going to continue to flatten out

It looks very MJO phase 6ish. Notorious lag, i know but we've been in phase 7 and will remain so into the weekend. 

Sell BN. Think good chance it turns out AN both days. Likely really nice for early feb..

It's kind of head scratching, actually ...

The MJO is [apparently] better coupled now than it has been for a long while, evidenced [partially] because of what you said [and I agree].  The models are doing quite well to correlate a late phase 5 thru early 7 - with when/if applying the typically lag. 

What makes that interesting is that it should not be, not in a El Nino.  Perhaps more akin to a La Nina.  But it's not just the ability to couple so well - wtf is/was the MJO doing so robustly on the right side of the RMM in the first place.  That's the neat part -

• Like 2

Just now, dryslot said:

I think it ranks above clown maps if that's even possible, I think a record was set on this last event with them.............:lol:

:lol: 

Thank God I was still taking a mental break for that lol.

I seriously think so many end up just disappointing themselves b/c they have some odd fetish with clown maps. Some of these products (snow maps, supercell composite parameter, significant tornado parameter, the wind gust maps)...get overused and are misunderstood and when they don't "verify" they blame the models for being wrong and not good...maybe its the interpretations which aren't good. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Yup. Good advice. I’m out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

:lol: 

Thank God I was still taking a mental break for that lol.

I seriously think so many end up just disappointing themselves b/c they have some odd fetish with clown maps. Some of these products (snow maps, supercell composite parameter, significant tornado parameter, the wind gust maps)...get overused and are misunderstood and when they don't "verify" they blame the models for being wrong and not good...maybe its the interpretations which aren't good. 

I laid low in that thread, But was following along and yes, Some were really trying to convince themselves it was going to be a siggy event with 2 rounds of precip, Problem is and was, Mid level temps were so borderline on the first round that 1c in any direction had big implications even with good rates unless you had some elevation and the bulk of the heavy precip was there, Nam had a warm nose and usually you have to respect it when it shows up, I had expected 2-4" and ended up just above that @4.8".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I laid low in that thread, But was following along and yes, Some were really trying to convince themselves it was going to be a siggy event with 2 rounds of precip, Problem is and was, Mid level temps were so borderline on the first round that 1c in any direction had big implications even with good rates and the bulk of the heavy precip was there, Nam had a warm nose and usually you have to respect it when it shows up, I had expected 2-4" and ended up just above that @4.8".

I did a little dabbling into and my thoughts were there could be a max area of 4-8'' somewhere but yeah that warm nose was a definite flag. This was a perfect setup as to when not to use snow maps...but when they're painting out 20'' or some unrealistic number...realism becomes fantasy and its just a downhill spiral from there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I did a little dabbling into and my thoughts were there could be a max area of 4-8'' somewhere but yeah that warm nose was a definite flag. This was a perfect setup as to when not to use snow maps...but when they're painting out 20'' or some unrealistic number...realism becomes fantasy and its just a downhill spiral from there. 

Once the snow goggles are in place, They're tough to pry off..........lol

• Haha 1