• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Cold Shot: Part Duex - January 18-20th Arctic Blast and Freezing Rain/Snow Event

John1122

2 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I've made it to 27 degrees. I noticed the Crossville airport was at 33 but has fallen to 30. Dewpoints are low, in the 10s, so some wetbulbing will occur.

Yeah, could be what the more snow output Model's are picking up in. Low Dews.. evaporative cooling.

RGEM has this area with 2-4" 10:1 Snow Totals. 

• Like 3

I've made it to 27 degrees. I noticed the Crossville airport was at 33 but has fallen to 30. Dewpoints are low, in the 10s, so some wetbulbing will occur.
Yeah I'm wondering if that is what has seemed to lock my temperature down. I rose from 4 degrees this morning rather quickly to 25 then the rise slowed after clouds and stalled at 26/27. I've been sitting at like 26.9, and 27.1 back and forth for a couple hours now and climbing has stopped completely. I noticed humidity has really increased 82%, my dewpoint is 22.
  • Like 2

Down to 36.5 from 37.5. Clouds moving in saving our melting snow. 

I'm  interested in the cold push tonight. RGEM is significantly colder for NETN (especially my locale) than hrrr at 10pm.  Considering hrrr was horrendous with temps earlier this week I'll go with the colder. 

• Like 3

.WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 10 AM
EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total snow
accumulations of 3 to 5 inches and a trace of ice accumulation
possible.

* WHERE...Buchanan County.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 10 AM EST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Any ice accumulations would be tonight into
Friday morning.
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

Down to 36.5 from 37.5. Clouds moving in saving our melting snow. 

I'm  interested in the cold push tonight. RGEM is significantly colder for NETN (especially my locale) than hrrr at 10pm.  Considering hrrr was horrendous with temps earlier this week I'll go with the colder. 

Yeah, HRRR has had a warm bias for this area as long as I can remember. You'd think that would be corrected by now. Alot has to do with what Stations data has been used and ingested in the Model's. If they're not calibrated well or are from a warmer location then it causes issues. 

• Like 5

Inexplicably I'm holding the line at 31.5. Air is dry with a dp of 11. Seems warmer in every direction on wunderground. The skies are a solid wall of grey. There's certainly juice up there and probably warm air aloft to boot. This may not be pretty. I'd welcome the virga if it could cool the column for pure snow.

• Like 3

4C here in Huntsville/Madison. Roads have been treacherous all week since all our precip came down as sleet, but today the roads are kinda sorta passable (those are meteorological terms, right?). 

Our precip is forecasted to be rain, with the cold arriving quickly enough freeze the wet streets-wéve got a lot of wet, mushy ice that would be fine except that everything is supposed to freeze. 

I'm very interested to see to the forecasts/models handle the existing snowpack in TN. 

precip is currently virga.

• Like 4

4C here in Huntsville/Madison. Roads have been treacherous all week since all our precip came down as sleet, but today the roads are kinda sorta passable (those are meteorological terms, right?). 

Our precip is forecasted to be rain, with the cold arriving quickly enough freeze the wet streets-wéve got a lot of wet, mushy ice that would be fine except that everything is supposed to freeze. 

I'm very interested to see to the forecasts/models handle the existing snowpack in TN. 

precip is currently virga.

Sir this is America.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

I assume the further ENE one travels from there the slower snow to sleet changeover or mixing . I expect mainly Snow and sleet here, all Snow Wise on NE. 

I'm hoping for upslope tomorrow as the main snow producer. The 3k NAM is spitting out about 2 inches of that here with 5+ over Cross Mountain. The freezing rain/sleet part looks qpf starved with less than .10 per MRX. MRX did note the warm nose won't reach SWVa at all. 

• Like 1

• Mr Bob featured, unfeatured and unpinned this topic