• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15-16 winter storm OBS

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Of course that band is sleet, damn - best looking band of the storm lost to sleet. The dual pol looked like it and verified. Final (I think) snow measurement as of 8:30 am was 2.3" and I cleared the board to measure the sleet (which does get added to the snow, although sleet is much more dense than snow - typically 1" of liquid translates to 3" of sleet and 10" of snow). Hopefully the freezing rain holds off for awhile, although the temp has jumped up to 28F...

Well, we flipped to freezing rain a little while ago, but it did sleet pretty decently for 30-45 minutes, which put down 0.1" of sleet before the ZR, so our final total for the storm is 2.4", which is a bit of a bust vs. the NWS advisory for 3-5" and my prediction of 3.2", but still a nice storm if you like snow and it'll be around to enjoy for at least a week and might even be topped off on Friday.  I recall being excited, but a bit skeptical when the NWS-Philly bumped up their forecast yesterday afternoon; in hindsight their 2-4" forecast for 95 and most of CNJ/NNJ/NEPA would've been better.  

I cleared a small paved area when it changed to sleet and yes, it's now covered with the 0.1" of sleet and a glaze of ice on top, which will likely get worse for untreated paved surfaces, as temps are still only 29F and freezing rain continues to fall until early afternoon here with temps only forecast to reach 32F.  Time for some sleep, then some shoveling...

• Like 1

Still have ZR with a temp of 27 and dp of 26.  The back edge seems to be near but don't want to touch the blanket of snow on the car.  Makes me want to do like those old grandmas in South Philly would do - boil a pot of water, open the door and dump it out on the front stoop, and then come back inside and call it a day. :lmao:

kdix_20240116_1832_BR_0.41.png

• Haha 4