Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

1:15 AM EST report:

4.3” in 5N Frederick

Light to occasionally moderate snow continues. High ratio fluff for sure. Vis around 0.5-0.75 SM. We should make it to 5” here and could make a run at 6” if we get into a good band or two. The little storm that could! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

Radar has really popped last couple frames over central MD... that 850mb fronto is putting in some work

image.png.5951a09ac038b2bcd821a943df9fa6cc.png

image.thumb.png.60fc29258dc52fd30be2216e0050292d.png

Really coming down nicely here. Definitely over 4.5” but too lazy to go outside and measure. 

1 hour ago, Ji said:

Where is psu....complains 80% of the time and then disappears on the night it snows

Eagles/cowboys loss >snow?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

I had stuff to do. 
3.5”

24* coming down pretty good right now. Maybe I can make a run at 5”

G4dWQMu.jpeg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ah!!! Just stepped outside to take out the garbage. Still have a nice band coming down...

my attempted measurement: Almost exactly 4 inches.

Now I only just stepped outside, so with compaction it could be a bit more!

Great to hear! It’s been a great storm for the metros. Very much needed. Let’s get you guys to 5! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Moderate snow here for the last 15 minutes, bigger flakes. 4" total. It looks like radar is backbuilding still! Both the 6z Hrr and RAP had no more than 1/2" to southern PA..

edit: tiny, nice flakes again. lots of them! The coastal must be developing. 

looks like the back end is moving in faster then forecasted? unless we get some back end filling in thought it was supposed to go until 10am 

5 minutes ago, Ruin said:

looks like the back end is moving in faster then forecasted? unless we get some back end filling in thought it was supposed to go until 10am 

LP is still onshore down in SC/NC West of Wilmington.  Back filling would come from that as it passes by. What you see is just a dry slot or a lull.

Back to light snow.. it's been going back and forth. A lot of models had it ending, or dryslotting between 1-2am so I'm glad it's still snowing to the west of DC.. 

10 minutes ago, Ruin said:

7 minutes ago, eddygeeme said:

LP is still onshore down in SC/NC West of Wilmington.  Back filling would come from that as it passes by. What you see is just a dry slot or a lull.

I know but so many times it doesnt do what it should imo. it just dry slots us to death and we go from a promising over performing storm. to the local mets pounding chests saying they were right. id say its 50 50 on times it back fills precip vs it doesnt.

2 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

I'm getting the goods again.  Interesting storm.  LWX did well with the upgrade.

This was a solid storm overall. Best part was the thermals being fairly friendly for mostly everyone. Many got the 3-5” forecast with some likely near 6” in NoVA and will be approaching in northern MD. I give it an A for the performance. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

This was a solid storm overall. Best part was the thermals being fairly friendly for mostly everyone. Many got the 3-5” forecast with some likely near 6” in NoVA and will be approaching in northern MD. I give it an A for the performance. 

Definitely. About as solid of a storm I've had IMBY in some time!

Radar still filling in as I head off to bed...very, very nice event :snowing:

18 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

I'm getting the goods again.  Interesting storm.  LWX did well with the upgrade.

Ended up becoming sleet/snow pellets.  ETA: There's an ever so slight warm nose at 875mb.  I don't see it affecting people when there are good rates.  If you go to Precip Depiction/Correlation Coefficient you can see the mix line just into DC

Final Ob of night

28/27, -SN/IP, 4"

• Like 2

Here's our SLP its on the move slowly gaining strength it should ride the frontal boundary up the coast. Probably keep a eye on how much it can strengthen in regards to how much back filling. Models hinting that's a possibility which is why you've had some push out when this leaves the area. But it's not even to the outer banks yet. 

Get some sleep set your alarms for 7 and see where we're at maybe a surprise or two.bwsfc.gif.c21b71c4f518456f645926034bf71211.gif

• Like 2