• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

Yep exactly. Obviously we need it to bump up to moderate snow to get accumulation on other surfaces (besides just old snow) during the middle of the day here. I'm surprised ... I didn't think temps/sun angle would be an issue for light snow today. 

Heaviest of the day right now but will need this for an hour to get anything to stick to pavement

40 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Wow, snowing heavily now, since about 10:30 am with beautiful dendrites and we've gone from about 1/4" at about 10:15 am to 1.0" on the ground now as of just about 11:00 am, which is > 1" per hour rates over the last 30 minutes or so. I'd have to guess this is 15-20:1 snow to liquid ratios - very fluffy/low bulk density stuff, one could use a broom to clear. If we can somehow keep this up for awhile 2" or more is back in play. 29F still.

Edit - pics of my street showing roads getting covered and one of dendrites ftw, lol...

LoZ79DJ.png

10ExwEk.png

As of 11:30 am, up to 1.6", so 1.2" per hour rate the last 30 minutes.  Snow back to light/moderate level, but the radar looks pretty good for the next hour or so, so 2" looks to be a lock.  Amazing how quickly things can change.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Snowlover11 said:

southern philly/southern nj are about to be crushed. if only this was 100-150 miles north:weenie:

Dad is a weather enthusiast still at 81.  He has the snow board going. Closing in on 4 inches in Salem County. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Heaviest of the day right now but will need this for an hour to get anything to stick to pavement

Yeah it just bumped up to moderate snow here too, but still struggling to accumulate even on car tops. Hopefully we can start to get a little accumulation. Sounds as if it's a completely different world for our friends just slightly to the south in Metuchen. 

Just now, winterwx21 said:

Yeah it just bumped up to moderate snow here too, but still struggling to accumulate even on car tops. Hopefully we can start to get a little accumulation. Sounds as if it's a completely different world for our friends just slightly to the south in Metuchen. 

crazy but not totally unexpected if you get into the banding 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FPizz said:

Just hit 1"

Its funny how its only sticking to the snow on the ground. My driveway is just starting to get covered and the roads are completely clear.

My measurements later might be on top of crusty old snow and ice.

Great snow day, lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Poker2015 said:

Its funny how its only sticking to the snow on the ground. My driveway is just starting to get covered and the roads are completely clear.

My measurements later might be on top of crusty old snow and ice.

Great snow day, lol

Yup, same happening here.  My driveway is just starting to get covered as well.  I measured on the old crust just now when taking the dog out.   Picked up again here.  Maybe we can make a run at 1.5".  I don't totally blame school officials though, when they closed the forecast still said 3-5".  I think all of us knew this was 1-3 in our area.

20 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I'm in Colonia and its underwhelming. Had a burst an hour ago but back to light stuff. I don't see us getting much out of this. But at least it looks like winter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

It’s been snowing at a good rate here in Westchester for several hours. It’s just not sticking anywhere but on top of the old snow. it’s making that look pretty at least.

the issue is unless you are under heavy rates, the thin cloud layer has allowed the suns energy to warm the blacktops. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 11:30 am, up to 1.6", so 1.2" per hour rate the last 30 minutes.  Snow back to light/moderate level, but the radar looks pretty good for the next hour or so, so 2" looks to be a lock.  Amazing how quickly things can change.  

And as of noon, we're at 1.8", so about 0.4" per hour the last 30 min, as intensity has let up with a dry patch, but the radar looks pretty good for at least the next 30 minutes, so we'll get to 2" soon.  Based on the inverted trough being likely to set up well south of here (looks like an impressive blob in the Baltimore-Philly corridor and SE of that line - I'm assuming that's it), I doubt we'll get beyond 3", but even with light snow much of the day 3" is possible.  Still 29F so everything is accumulating even on the roads.  

• Like 2