• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

10 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

This is crap?

It's not a ku but this isn't necessarily crap

ref1km_ptype.conus.png

Its got a flukey secondary surface reflection though in the IVT off NJ...18Z RGEM had that too and I think both runs overdid QPF as a result....it can happen though, its just hard to assume at 80 hours out it does but little surface lows forming within the IVT or along a boundary can tick the QPF up enough to matter

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Its got a flukey secondary surface reflection though in the IVT off NJ...18Z RGEM had that too and I think both runs overdid QPF as a result....it can happen though, its just hard to assume at 80 hours out it does but little surface lows forming within the IVT or along a boundary can tick the QPF up enough to matter

Understand the concern but at 500 MB it makes sense why it's trying to redevelop the surface low where it is.

namconus_z500_vort_us_47.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Always overamped...I glanced and it 2-3 days back for today and it did have heaviest snows in like NE PA and Monticello sure enough and it was like 80 miles too far NW

That's great if it's overamped

wouldn't even be worried if trough consolidation is the issue right now. seeing the weaker confluence from the NAM, ICON, and RGEM is a big deal and is something that can't really be fixed that easily if it's crappy. however, look at today's system at the same lead time:

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh0_trend.thumb.gif.63a76bb977bdfff362d8e33550f0f0fb.gif

27 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

wouldn't even be worried if trough consolidation is the issue right now. seeing the weaker confluence from the NAM, ICON, and RGEM is a big deal and is something that can't really be fixed that easily if it's crappy. however, look at today's system at the same lead time:

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh0_trend.thumb.gif.63a76bb977bdfff362d8e33550f0f0fb.gif

Gfs did the same thing

Tik tik tik

• wdrag changed the title to Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

The target for this decent 9-15 hour snowfall continue PA-NJ, though the SREF is I80 north.  Debateable but to me it looks like a base snowfall of 2" everywhere and then tops could e narrow swath of 5". NWS graphics attached from 09z/17.

I added OBS to the thread title at 503AM Wed and unfortunately felt the need to add rain/snow mix tag for at least eastern/southern LI and coastal NJ where all snow is not in my mind a 100% guarantee.  This event differs from the Tuesday event (I'll have a snowfall/qpf brief review up in the Tuesday thread late today). Tuesday was pure warm air advection with an 850 MB sw jet as the 5H short wave triesdtilting negative in its Tuesday afternoon mid Atlantic coast passage.

This upcoming event looks a little more negative at 5H, and to me sharper with slower flow aloft as an 850MB low (very weak) tries to form in eastern PA-NJ coast Friday. This one to me has a little better chance at a short period of decent dendritic snow growth. (Tuesdays snow at least for nw NJ was mostly small flake dense packed).

The EPS is well south of the SREF.  I like best snowfall in the weak south or east flow between 8H-7H which is north of the EPS and is what the NWS 09z/17 probabilities for 2 and 4" show.  User the colors bar for the chances of these amounts and click for clarity.  

All solutions need consideration. Another nice snowfall is on the way. 

At 555AM I added: The thought that we could break the record consecutive streak of no daily snowfall 2" or more at CP is definitely a possibility. Depends on snowfall rates and timing the measuring. 

2043297922_ScreenShot2024-01-17at5_19_23AM.thumb.png.948d3d6f879287d474333476e5bdf9ba.png1415712570_ScreenShot2024-01-17at5_17_38AM.thumb.png.4b08e31d8379bfbedbf359e49a3ca123.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

The target for this decent 9-15 hour snowfall continue PA-NJ, though the SREF is I80 north.  Debateable but to me it looks like a base snowfall of 2" everywhere and then tops could e narrow swath of 5". NWS graphics attached from 09z/17.

I added OBS to the thread title at 503AM Wed and unfortunately felt the need to add rain/snow mix tag for at least eastern/southern LI and coastal NJ where all snow is not in my mind a 100% guarantee.  This event differs from the Tuesday event (I'll have a snowfall/qpf brief review up in the Tuesday thread late today). Tuesday was pure warm air advection with an 850 MB sw jet as the 5H short wave triesdtilting negative in its Tuesday afternoon mid Atlantic coast passage.

This upcoming event looks a little more negative at 5H, and to me sharper with slower flow aloft as an 850MB low (very weak) tries to form in eastern PA-NJ coast Friday. This one to me has a little better chance at a short period of decent dendritic snow growth. (Tuesdays snow at least for nw NJ was mostly small flake dense packed).

The EPS is well south of the SREF.  I like best snowfall in the weak south or east flow between 8H-7H which is north of the EPS and is what the NWS 09z/17 probabilities for 2 and 4" show.  User the colors bar for the chances of these amounts and click for clarity.  

All solutions need consideration. Another nice snowfall is on the way. 

At 555AM I added: The thought that we could break the record consecutive streak of no daily snowfall 2" or more at CP is definitely a possibility. Depends on snowfall rates and timing the measuring. 

2043297922_ScreenShot2024-01-17at5_19_23AM.thumb.png.948d3d6f879287d474333476e5bdf9ba.png1415712570_ScreenShot2024-01-17at5_17_38AM.thumb.png.4b08e31d8379bfbedbf359e49a3ca123.png

Walt, nice write up, interesting thing about Tuesday's storm was that although it did change to a wintry mix on the south shore of Long Island we got as much or more than what the city and close suburbs got -- we got 2-3 inches in the storm-- because of higher precip amounts on the front end.  So changing over is worth it if you get more snowfall before it changes over.  I've seen this before with coastals in borderline situations, where although the south shore changes over, they get more snow because of higher precip amounts, than areas that did not change over.

• Like 1