• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

After the snow started I grabbed some Zs. Usually I don't like to miss any moment of a snowstorm. Tonight feels special though, with over 24 hours of duration and secure temps I felt relaxed. I enjoy the rush of attempting to predict what systems will do and yet, this was nice. Waking up to a field of white and knowing you don't have school/some other responsibilities... I still woke up early like a man possessed but I think I'm at peace for now. Anyway I haven't taken measurements yet but there is a solid inch plus of powder. Temperatures have seemingly leveled at 23.  Light snowfall currently. :snowman:

To those commuting today yall be safe, and hopefully yall in the southern great valley can overcome mixing trouble.

• Like 8

HSV had reports of frozen precip last night; I am just very slightly west and there is nada-no frozen precip or snow. NWS Huntsville expects an uptick however: 

By daybreak, expect things to get more active as vorticity advection
aids in the persistence of lift along a convergence zone spanning
from southeastern Arkansas to the Smokey Mountains.
Overall, little has changed regarding amounts. Still expect 2-5"
snow accumulations over north and western portions of the forecast
area, with lesser amounts and perhaps more in the way of sleet or
ice (up to 0.15") south and east of the TN River.

Great to see TN is doing so well. How is Chattanooga doing? Has any precip moved in?

• Like 1

Radar is lighting up to Knoxville’s south and West believe the Maine Event is going to start.  Fingers crossed.  Woke up this morning expecting the big totals and it must of stoped right after my last look out the window.  We have about a half inch and no snow falling now.  According to MRX that should change by 9AM.  We will see.

IMG_1253.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

After the snow started I grabbed some Zs. Usually I don't like to miss any moment of a snowstorm. Tonight feels special though, with over 24 hours of duration and secure temps I felt relaxed. I enjoy the rush of attempting to predict what systems will do and yet, this was nice. Waking up to a field of white and knowing you don't have school/some other responsibilities... I still woke up early like a man possessed but I think I'm at peace for now. Anyway I haven't taken measurements yet but there is a solid inch plus of powder. Temperatures have seemingly leveled at 23.  Light snowfall currently. :snowman:
To those commuting today yall be safe, and hopefully yall in the southern great valley can overcome mixing trouble.
I can relate! I tried to sleep but kept dreaming I was waking up and it was warm and rainy. In my dream I would go back to bed feeling disappointed. This happened three times and when I finally did get up I was apprehensive about looking outside. But lo and behold, it is a winter wonderland! About an inch and still light snow falling. It's 29 degrees here in Oak Ridge, TN. I'm so looking forward to a day of falling snow. That's a rarity these days!

Is there a way to tell where posters live? I check their profile but don't see a location. Folks are posting their current weather conditions and it would be good to know the location they're talking about.

Everyone be safe and enjoy the snow!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, WinterWonderland said:

Is there a way to tell where posters live? I check their profile but don't see a location. Folks are posting their current weather conditions and it would be good to know the location they're talking about.

Everyone be safe and enjoy the snow!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

So, in order to see locations you'll need to open the desktop version of the site. (Avoid using tapatalk) You can do this fairly easily by opening your settings on your phones web browser. An extra perk of the desktop version is you can see profile signatures.

• Like 1

HSV had reports of frozen precip last night; I am just very slightly west and there is nada-no frozen precip or snow. NWS Huntsville expects an uptick however: 
By daybreak, expect things to get more active as vorticity advectionaids in the persistence of lift along a convergence zone spanningfrom southeastern Arkansas to the Smokey Mountains.

Overall, little has changed regarding amounts. Still expect 2-5"snow accumulations over north and western portions of the forecastarea, with lesser amounts and perhaps more in the way of sleet orice (up to 0.15") south and east of the TN River.

Great to see TN is doing so well. How is Chattanooga doing? Has any precip moved in?

We have absolutely nothing. We had light sleet and a quick changeover to light snow around 10:00pm. That lasted maybe 5 or 10 minutes. Everything missed us to the north and east. Local tv channels have backed wayyyy off. Anything from a dusting to 1 or 2". Local NBC just shows a mix icon. He said we would have a mix all day with temps in the mid 30's. I just don't see it happening here.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

We have absolutely nothing. We had light sleet and a quick changeover to light snow around 10:00pm. That lasted maybe 5 or 10 minutes. Everything missed us to the north and east. Local tv channels have backed wayyyy off. Anything from a dusting to 1 or 2". Local NBC just shows a mix icon. He said we would have a mix all day with temps in the mid 30's. I just don't see it happening here.

Sorry to hear.  I lived in southeast TN growing up, In the Cleveland to be exact and I feel your pain.  I hear a lot of guys talk about storms of the past and many of them we just rain for me.  I don’t know if I would give up on this one but like I said I understand.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, *Flash* said:

Updated call from my guy, Bobby Boyd. This looks about right. @jaxjagman, I'll be riding this out about 4-5 miles SE of Brentwood. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a0444c02373a973402baf2f47660a312.jpeg

I have gotten alot more than this forecast; I am just into Sumner County, West of Gallatin and East of White House, likely have close to 5" on the ground

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jed33 said:

So far this morning have about 1.25in mostly on the grass with a crunchy ice and scattered snow cover layer on the roads and driveway. 

We seem to be in a lucky spot so far, we continue to have these bands develop over or near us. It is snowing again now. 

• Like 1

Just now, matt9697 said:

We seem to be in a lucky spot so far, we continue to have these bands develop over or near us. It is snowing again now. 

Radars look to be filling in - anyone know what that impulse is in Northern Arkansas? 

• Like 1

So far this morning have about 1.25in mostly on the grass with a crunchy ice and scattered snow cover layer on the roads and driveway. 
Similar to me about 1.75" here on grass mostly. Though that blossoming band just reached me and right on queue it's picking back up after that pause during the night. I really think that is the reason models a few days ago had timing issues. Many models didn't start snow until this morning for East Tennessee, and interestingly this morning is when the primary heavier snow is set to begin and persist through the day. I look at the night time stuff as just bonus and the real deal is what we get today through tonight.
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Sorry to hear that. 

d61be16b5b047e264397c639e2cde7b8.jpg
I’m in the yellow and we have flurries at best right now. Hoping something changes

Interesting I'm under the lighter stuff on your image on the northern edge of your image like heading toward Knoxville and it's snowing as hard as it did during the night last night and seems to be slowly picking up. I'll be at 2" probably within the hour. 1.75" of that occurred during the night. I wonder what your temp and dewpoint are where you are located.
  • Like 2

It’s been an odd snow here in Loudon County. We have a steady snow currently and probably got more in last 45 minutes than we did last night. However, nothing the sidewalks or roads. We are below freezing and have been since about 8 last night.

Yeah I suspect as the day goes along pavements will start to get covered. The ground temp is radiating through pavement keeping just a bit warmer, but suspect as time goes on and heavier snow moves in and temps stay below freezing those surfaces will start to freeze.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic