Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

QPF shrinking on the NW side and the mean wave displaced far off the coast. Clearly doesn't look like the gfs op.

The 'trend' on the GEFS is good though. 2 runs ago there was barely an indication of a surface low. Last run it was well off the coast. Did you see the MSLP anomaly panel I just posted for 6z?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The 'trend' on the GEFS is good though. 2 runs ago there was barely an indication of a surface low. Last run it was well off the coast. Did you see the MSLP anomaly panel I just posted for 6z?

Nvm...user error. I saw 1/10 as 1/11 and vice versa. Wtf is wrong with me :nerdsmiley: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

For the 19-20th potential, for now the tendency is for surface low development a little too far north and offshore. Might be a case of a little too much +PNA. Not seeing much of an indication of a shortwave taking the southern route- the primary energy would be embedded in the flow overtop the ridge. With that vortex shifting from south central Canada eastward to Atlantic Canada, NS energy associated with that may get involved a bit too late. Still almost 10 days out so plenty of time for changes in the key players.

1705665600-oZZrNIgL9sM.png

1705687200-2uf26WGBD5A.png

1705752000-dp7hNeVONrI.png

• Like 5

For the 19-20th potential, for now the tendency is for surface low development a little too far north and offshore. Might be a case of a little too much +PNA. Not seeing much of an indication of a shortwave taking the southern route- the primary energy would be embedded in the flow overtop the ridge. With that vortex shifting from south central Canada eastward to Atlantic Canada, NS energy associated with that may get involved a bit too late. Still almost 10 days out so plenty of time for changes in the key players.
1705665600-oZZrNIgL9sM.png
1705687200-2uf26WGBD5A.png
1705752000-dp7hNeVONrI.png

This window has yet to produce a decent run on any model. What a time for the Nino jet to shut down

First bit of discussion I have seen for next Tuesday from Mount Holly in the AFD. Some dirty talk in there.

Looking towards the beginning of the week guidance is showing a deep 250mb trough swinging through the central US. This sends a strong 250mb jet over the region and guidance has shown the potential for some weak cyclogensis to our south. The consensus amongst guidance is that a low pressure system will form to our south and stays to the south as it moves towards the northeast. This keeps the forecast area entirely in the cold sector of the system and in the right rear quad of the 250mb jet. That should lead to broad synoptic lift and with moisture in place we may see accumulating snow across the region. Based on the 18z ensembles that went into the 01z NBM, the nearly the entire forecast area has 50% chance of exceeding 1" of snow and given the area would be in the cold sector there would be no immediate rainfall to melt the snow. At this point limiting factors would be the speed of the system rather than thermal profiles.

• Like 14

Just now, Duca892 said:

I am a no nothing but this feels like it will be a close but no cigar 

The conventional thinking is it's good to have the storm bit too far south at this range, as these storms always trend NW as we get closer. That might be a weenie rule actually.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

The conventional thinking is it's good to have the storm bit too far south at this range, as these storms always trend NW as we get closer. That might be a weenie rule actually.

I was going to say the same thing. I rather be on the northern fringe at 6 days out

• Like 7

the control would be a MECS lmao. northern stream outruns the main S/W and provides confluence

Yes, what the control is doing is exactly what you’d want for a MECS for the SE/Midsantic. and what’s interesting is the OP and control are generally exactly the same up to day 6-7. Check out prior runs H5 is mirrored every run. 12z should be really interesting. Wonder if that perks Psuhoffman up

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It isn’t true. It’s wishful thinking. Sometimes they go right on by to the south.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About noon yesterday when I said in this thread that "I would rather place this lp near Myrtle Beach than 275 se of NYC",  I of course had no idea that future runs of the Euro would come close to that desire. I only knew from historical observation that a coastal hugger from Charleston to Norfolk with cold air in place usually does the trick for inland areas.

January 29 of 1966 witnessed the coldest major snowstorm of my life. At 4 pm in Augusta County I recorded whiteout conditions with a temperature of +4. The lp at 6 pm was near New Bern in southeast N.C..

Tuesday's threat as currently modeled should make many happy with a light to moderate several inches of snow. Changes can and will occur at 5 days out. The Euro could fringe inland area's with lp 50 - 100 miles off the N.C. coast. The GFS would only give flurries with no organization but a frisky sw and incoming trough over western Va. enhances snowfall.

The next few days should be very interesting!

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic