Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

6 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the ECMWF's bias to hold energy back and overamp could initially hurt trough consolidation. honestly, I'm not really sure why it's doing what it's doing. the CMC and UKMET both have that piece crashing into AK and still become amplified, so that's not it in a vacuum

maybe the holding back energy thing...because I was comparing it to the GGEM just now and you're right about the kicker, but the GGEM is significantly faster than the euro and already has the SW up near PA while the Euro is way back in the MS valley.  That creates a spacing issue with that kicker maybe?  THe GFS is slower like the euro but that doesn't matter as much because the kicker isn't there.  So maybe there are a few moving parts here but the idea is if the kicker is there then the progression can't be slower. 

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Shame it’s such a disjointed look until things come together nicely in Maine.  

It shows like a foot for parts of the area. lol 

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Better than 0z was for sure.  That would be just dandy for me.  More snow than I have seen in a bit of time

Seeing how 0z is was nothing… I’d say so 

I’m just catching up on posts since 9 pm and wonder when some of you sleep. 
Just based on following the models and learning from experts on this forum and SM for over 10 years, I’ve noticed that the Euro often has had a habit of sniffing out storms early, losing them in the mid-range, and then coming back.  I remember this quite a bit in 2013-2015.  I am feeling good about actually getting snow on Tuesday.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

I’m just catching up on posts since 9 pm and wonder when some of you sleep
Just based on following the models and learning from experts on this forum and SM for over 10 years, I’ve noticed that the Euro often has had a habit of sniffing out storms early, losing them in the mid-range, and then coming back.  I remember this quite a bit in 2013-2015.  I am feeling good about actually getting snow on Tuesday.  

I will catch up on my sleep come Summer. I got model runs to keep up with, affiliate marketing to study and now I am also learning algebra at Khan Academy. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Still a mess of vorticity lol. GFS pops a low associated with the initial energy that runs out in front then pops a second one over NC as that NS energy digs in and phases. 

1705460400-IPu5TqO5xp8.png

1705471200-1pwSgB1Fs98.png

There’s multiple paths to victory with this setup, but you can see how it could easily fail too. I’m staying cautiously optimistic. I feel once this current storm occludes, we will have a better picture to draw from. That needs to be situated first. I will say the Arctic airmass is legit, so if we get something to pop to our south, there should be a good chance for cold smoke either through 50% of any event or even closer to 80% if all breaks right, especially the northern and western folks. 

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

There’s multiple paths to victory with this setup, but you can see how it could easily fail too. I’m staying cautiously optimistic. I feel once this current storm occludes, we will have a better picture to draw from. That needs to be situated first. I will say the Arctic airmass is legit, so if we get something to pop to our south, there should be a good chance for cold smoke either through 50% of any event or even closer to 80% if all breaks right, especially the northern and western folks. 

Strong signal on the ens means for at least a moderate (mostly) snow event. The EPS has more of a light event for now.

The primary issue with the Euro is the sharp piece of energy that it digs southward along the coast of Western Canada downstream of the ridge building into AK- that initially de-amplifies the PNA ridge, but later in the progression it tries to phase it with a piece of TPV energy, and that turns the trough more positive at the point where it needs to be neutral. Lets just hope it squeezes more of that energy northward in future runs.

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic