• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

There were a couple runs when it was around day 6 that one storm produced a good mean. But it was inside the range I’m talking about and it was a false signal. Being on the southern fringe of heavy snow day 6 with no blocking is an absolutely atrocious spot to be!  Several of the best posters here tried multiple times to warn everyone what was likely going to happen. And in some cases they were given shit for it!  

Im not always a deb before a threat.  If I think it actually looks good I’ll say so.  There have been some cases over the years when I was excited super early.  I remember like 10 days out from that run in Feb 2010 being crazy excited by what I saw. Some were telling me to chill!  I was on that Jan 2011 storm over a week out!  I could go on but I don’t always deb a threat.  We just haven’t had any good ones lately and so some are getting over excited by anything.  Any hope even when it’s not a truly great setup  
But I’m really talking about when we’re 8-12 days away identifying the early signals of a big period coming. Nothing yet this year has done that. 

The only person who I remember badgering pro Mets was howie lol. I think most of were cautiously optimistic in the western burbs but knew the risks

The nam in its wheelhouse had a run giving us snow 24 hours before the storm!

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The one thing I don’t get is why some of the less positive posters here are taking crap. It’s been literally the worst stretch for snow in our history, how can you expect anyone trying to make accurate forecasts to have been positive through that?  You know who has been. JB!  Is that what they want?

This here. People act like it's some great mystery when people aren't positive...like what do you all expect? We have been in the worst snow drought of our lifetimes, and some of you look down on another poster for not being positive as if it's illogical. Listen, if you are an endlesslt optimistic person, that's fantastic. You're in a better space. But let people feel the way they do without weenieing or complaining about complaining.

End rant

Just now, nj2va said:

There’s a snow futility, will it ever snow, a CC forum, and panic room - I think there’s plenty of places to complain/post about the elephant.  

Oops… I thought this was the panic thread. My bad. I’ll keep the climate talk there.

Just now, nj2va said:

There’s a snow futility, will it ever snow, a CC forum, and panic room - I think there’s plenty of places to complain/post about the elephant.  

Here's the issue though: It's becoming increasingly more difficult not to talk about it as it has become intertwined with our discussion of the medium/long range. Like if something that should work doesn't (and it used to), that convo is gonna leak in here. Hard to avoid, imo

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

Until the gfs is aboard the euro solutions will just be trash

Why do you think I'm pulling for it to get on board. I can't even get past the "interested" phase if the GFS isn't on board.  But as some pros have said, we may not see a shift either way on either model until this next cutter passes. 

Why do you think I'm pulling for it to get on board. I can't even get past the "interested" phase if the GFS isn't on board.  But as some pros have said, we may not see a shift either way on either model until this next cutter passes. 

Please for once let the European advanced physics actually benefit us. It’s deadly when its in dr no mode
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ji said:

Yes people were talking about global warming as much then as now.

But if you looked within the trends bad signs were showing then. We do run in cycles for snow. But from 2000 to 2016 we were in a congruence of a favorable Atlantic and pacific pattern.  Places north of us were getting way above normal snow. But we actually were below avg (by the historical numbers) during that stretch.

That period looks like Valhalla compared to recently. But it was bad if you compared it to previous periods where we got everything to line up. Look at the mean pattern from that period!

IMG_0877.png.719a406752636cf4262dbfa5de87451f.png
Warning sirens should have been going off when places to our north were running 150% of normal snow yet we were BELOW AVG even in that freaking amazing pattern for that period!  We should have had another period like the late 50s-60s then!  

So now we’re in a truly bad cycle with a mean long wave pattern that isn’t good. And in the past this would have been bad but just like the last good period wasn’t as good, this bad period is WORSE!  

We will get to another better cycle eventually. At some point the PDO and AMO will flip again. But the question is how much will our ability to snow have degraded by then?   How muted will that next cycle be. Is assuredly will be better than this. But does it even get back to that 2000-2016 level?  I don’t know. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Remember it could always be worst, check out the difference on the snow map for this event just 3 days out lol
480db7aff367c2e0940d8f2fe08b4957.jpg

fbf9fd46250a5d01e2bdce85972a9369.jpg

See, this is what I mean by the models not being able to “see” past the cutters. We have one in progress that’s powerful enough to induce planetary wave breaking , and its interfering with the usual skill level of models even 3 days out. 

It’s like standing on a beach and normally, you can see a couple of sets out towards the horizon that’ll bring plenty of fun rides to surfers in their lineup within a few minutes. 

But if an incoming wave is so high that it blocks your view of the horizon, you can’t see what’s coming until after that wave breaks. Similar idea. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Ji said:

The only person who I remember badgering pro Mets was howie lol. I think most of were cautiously optimistic in the western burbs but knew the risks

The nam in its wheelhouse had a run giving us snow 24 hours before the storm!

When I started planning to go to Vermont when it was 3-4 days away that should have tipped you off how I really felt. Not just for DC but even my area!  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nj2va said:

You’re right we should have been talking about all the snow we’ve been getting instead. 

• Haha 1

But if you looked within the trends bad signs were showing then. We do run in cycles for snow. But from 2000 to 2016 we were in a congruence of a favorable Atlantic and pacific pattern.  Places north of us were getting way above normal snow. But we actually were below avg (by the historical numbers) during that stretch.
That period looks like Valhalla compared to recently. But it was bad if you compared it to previous periods where we got everything to line up. Look at the mean pattern from that period!
IMG_0877.png.719a406752636cf4262dbfa5de87451f.png
Warning sirens should have been going off when places to our north were running 150% of normal snow yet we were BELOW AVG even in that freaking amazing pattern for that period!  We should have had another period like the late 50s-60s then!  

So now we’re in a truly bad cycle with a mean long wave pattern that isn’t good. And in the past this would have been bad but just like the last good period wasn’t as good, this bad period is WORSE!  

We will get to another better cycle eventually. At some point the PDO and AMO will flip again. But the question is how much will our ability to snow have degraded by then?   How muted will that next cycle be. Is assuredly will be better than this. But does it even get back to that 2000-2016 level?  I don’t know. 

Not sure if it’s due to climate change but we had some incredibly bad luck in that window with miller bs…Dec 2000 March 2001 Jan 2005…Boxing Day where nyc would get 30 and we would get zero even if we were cold enough. We also had numerous coastals that we were too far west! That’s just bad luck!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic