• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

4 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Stop me if you've seen this before, but the NAM is a north outlier. 

Just now, CheeselandSkies said:

Not as much as the HRRR, though. :whistle:

There is actually a reason why, and if it does come to fruition it would bust most areas. It amplifies a lead head of the vort in the north forcing a low to the north.

• Thanks 1

Plan is for me to do the forecast for the storm today. Definitely a risk with ptypes into the metro, though recall that GHD II started out pretty warm too. So hopefully we find a happy medium. The Chicago shore could be a bigger issue again.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

GHD2 can’t even get a mention.

With that one temps dropped quite a bit during the long-duration storm. With this one temps will not crash until it’s pretty much wrapped up, as currently modeled that is.

So easy toss.

2 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

y’all have to stop with the NAM.

it’s trash and it’s life clock is nearing 0, once the RRFS is implemented successfully.

1705082400-HAt1bktyMbo.png

We will see what the 12z does but, this isn't a ringing endorsement for the RRFS over the NAM or the RRFS for this storm.

• Sad 1

1705082400-HAt1bktyMbo.png
We will see what the 12z does but, this isn't a ringing endorsement for the RRFS over the NAM or the RRFS for this storm.

The RRFS is a whole ENS package.

That is just one experimental hi-res, which yes, also has not performed well.

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

The RRFS is a whole ENS package.

That is just one experimental hi-res, which yes, also has not performed well.

Is there anywhere to see its test data or experimental output? The way it sounds is that it should be treated like the new SREF if its an ensemble.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sbnwx85 said:

I can’t believe I have to post this meme every winter.

Even within 24 hours it and the SREF are dodgy. As late as the 15Z run on Monday, the majority of the SREF members still said it would be a rain event on Tuesday afternoon in Dekalb. I put no stock in it 48 hours+ out.

• Like 1

Is there anywhere to see its test data or experimental output? The way it sounds is that it should be treated like the new SREF if its an ensemble.

Here’s a link to a limited amount of experimental output…

https://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrr/HRRR/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=rrfs_na_3km_dev1_conus_jet&domain=full%3Ahrrr&run_time=10+Jan+2024+-+00Z

Latest update that I saw was that after several delays, implementation was planned for end of 2024.

The FV3 will also be part of things. Here’s a link the the experimental output from it…

https://fim.noaa.gov/FV3new/

The whole system will eventually replace the HRRR, RAP, Hi-Res Window, and NAM’s.

• Like 2

GHD2 can’t even get a mention.

With that one temps dropped quite a bit during the long-duration storm. With this one temps will not crash until it’s pretty much wrapped up, as currently modeled that is.

So easy toss.
The second half had a much better air mass, but the front end Saturday night all the way into or through that Sunday morning was lower ratio with temps near freezing. This looks more marginal than that and the lake had some ice on it, or was near freezing at least.

Main point about GHD II is that if we don't get dry slotted or too warm aloft, we can pick up a good amount of snow with more marginal temps. And in this case, there's been good agreement to this point on the deformation Friday night having a much better air mass coming in.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Hoping for a last second slight eastern shift so us Michigan peeps get the better snows too

Yea my gut is telling me the models are overdoing it with the strength. I think the 12z Canadian is more realistic. I think grr over to flint and up to mount pleasant will be the jackpot. Detroit may see a few sloppy inches.

5 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

The OP run appears to be on the NW side of the cluster. Lots of member E-SE still. OP has the low over Gary. 

sfcmslp-meanmem.us_mw.png

Crazy how close we are to event and still so much spread. Was thinking sampling this morning would be helpful for models. I was wrong. Lol. I'm not sure what to expect. 

• Like 1