Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/9-1/10 Now Morphing to Less-Than-Exciting Power Cutter

Torch Tiger

52 minutes ago, klw said:

So for later today and tomorrow I have a Winter Weather Advisory, Flood Watch, High Wind Warning, Wind Chill Warning, Heat Advisory, Flash Freeze Warning, Migrating Geese Warning, and Wooly Caterpillar watch.  Does that sum things up?

What about a blowing and drifting acorn advisory?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

That is a concern. and with widespread power outages expect across a good chunk of the east coast, that will limit the power companies from brining in crews from other areas to help restore the power.  Usually in situations like this I notice off of state crews in various staging areas. I did not see any crews in some of those staging areas this morning

yeah good point...going to be tough to get out-of-state help in this one. 

3km remains very consistent for a nasty line moving northeast through SNE later overnight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

yeah good point...going to be tough to get out-of-state help in this one. 

3km remains very consistent for a nasty line moving northeast through SNE later overnight. 

As of 7 AM this morning The Weather Channel was reporting at least 400,000  were without power in the south.

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

As of 7 AM this morning The Weather Channel was reporting at least 400,000  were without power in the south.

Around 190K right now between Alabama/Florida/Georgia. 

Probably see a good amount across the mid-Atlantic later on with the squall line ripping through there. 

I'm sure though they will get power restored relatively quickly within these markets...but it does remain windy on the backside so that could delay restorations possibly if conditions are still too dangerous for crews. 

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Probably see a good amount across the mid-Atlantic later on with the squall line ripping through there. 

I'm sure though they will get power restored relatively quickly within these markets...but it does remain windy on the backside so that could delay restorations possibly if conditions are still too dangerous for crews. 

United States Power Outage Map

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

so many folks going to be a popsicle when they wake up without power tomorrow. 

These come in very handy during a power outage: inexpensive to buy and run.

Light It! 30302-308 Luna LED Tap Light, White 30302-308 - The Home Depot

Amazon.com: GearLight Camping Lantern - 2 Portable, LED Battery Powered Lamp Lights, Magnetic Base and Foldable Hook for Emergency Use or Campsites - Stocking Stuffer Gifts for Men : Sports & Outdoors

And for water issues:

Quick Dam 10 ft. Flood Barrier QD610-1 - The Home Depot

The Quick Dam works great and it is very easy to use. And it can be used over and over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Can vouch on the quick dam product. Our driveway in NC slopped down slightly and in the shitty world that is new construction, they didn't put a drain by the garage. This helped keep our garage dry during several big storms.

• Like 1

Just now, Bryan63 said:

Can vouch on the quick dam product. Our driveway in NC slopped down slightly and in the shitty world that is new construction, they didn't put a drain by the garage. This helped keep our garage dry during several big storms.

The Quick Dam is awesome. A must have for a homeowner. 

This is pretty concerning for the Vermont side of the Champlain Valley and BTV suburbs, western slope communities.

They can downslope with the best of them in pulse style winds.  Some very big 70-80mph events have happened in the past.  Wonder if this is another one.

hrrr-vt-z925_speed-4870000.thumb.png.bf6eb628fbe1610d3632f173d47b8e8d.png

I finally got back from Chicago last night after being stuck there due to the last storm (+ ripple effects from 737 Max groundings; United has a bunch in their fleet). I'm glad I managed to thread the needle, as the next 24 hours will not be conducive to aviation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

2-M Winds at 70-80mph on HRRR in BTV and surrounding areas overnight.

Yikes.  Saw one panel with 84mph.

hrrr-vt-gust_mph-4873600.thumb.png.e47a977d0e0dab0cc2721dc3d3ba2e28.png

Yeah SE flow downslope areas will rock even if those 10m winds are a little inflated. 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

We should see near or over 100K in CT alone tonight 

• Like 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

925?

HRRR not as impressive. GFS upped the winds a bit. 

Now obviously winds can be 1000 mph at 925/850 but if you're not mixing into these levels you're not bringing winds down. The hi-res models continue to be very aggressive with a very fine line of convection moving through and timed well with when the LLJ is strongest. 

I think the wind is going to be a very big deal overnight, but it will be brief. I think the wind is being downplayed big time. It boggles me b/c 9 times out of 10 the wind gets hyped like crazy and then when a scenario arises where it should be it doesn't. 

I am fairly confident we're going to see widespread power outages tonight from CT through RI and into SE MA. 

image.thumb.png.3bb68c0f92842e93a43c5d3ef8407f2d.png

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Now obviously winds can be 1000 mph at 925/850 but if you're not mixing into these levels you're not bringing winds down. The hi-res models continue to be very aggressive with a very fine line of convection moving through and timed well with when the LLJ is strongest. 

I think the wind is going to be a very big deal overnight, but it will be brief. I think the wind is being downplayed big time. It boggles me b/c 9 times out of 10 the wind gets hyped like crazy and then when a scenario arises where it should be it doesn't. 

I am fairly confident we're going to see widespread power outages tonight from CT through RI and into SE MA. 

image.thumb.png.3bb68c0f92842e93a43c5d3ef8407f2d.png

Yes to all. It will be a 2-3 hour short period of big rips 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Now obviously winds can be 1000 mph at 925/850 but if you're not mixing into these levels you're not bringing winds down.

I would hate to see 1000 mph at 925 mb    :P

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yes to all. It will be a 2-3 hour short period of big rips 

Its just a shame that these big wind events always seem to happen at night. Thats one of the reasons why 03/02/18 was special. 12/18 happened during the day but in my area it wasn't anything notable.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

This is 6z but here is BDL. You don't have to go very far in the vertical for strong winds. A good line of forced convection would easily tap into these

image.thumb.png.055d2f283344626413625029168baafd.png

I do think the valley .. especially from about BDL north may not see the big wind.. They love to hold cold until the end.. but ridge tops , hills and the coast are going to go wild tonight.. GTGW

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This is 6z but here is BDL. You don't have to go very far in the vertical for strong winds. A good line of forced convection would easily tap into these

image.thumb.png.055d2f283344626413625029168baafd.png

Right, but will we get sufficient convection to bring em down. I still lean a little more conservative but I agree there will be good gusts especially near the end. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I do think the valley .. especially from about BDL north may not see the big wind.. They love to hold cold until the end.. but ridge tops , hills and the coast are going to go wild tonight.. GTGW

It will be interesting to see how well the cold holds in the valley. Any areas that are able to climb into the lower 50's tonight I think is in line for big winds. 

Some areas may even only experience 50 for an hour or two...right as the line is approaching. Sometimes a situation like this can enhance the wind potential because you're steepening the lapse rate so quickly you get like a mixing momentum boost (I know this isn't a good scientific explanation). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1