• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Winter Storm

Winter storm watches maybe issued by Thursday evening for LV north, especially if the NAM agrees by the 18Z runs on Thursday.  Every LR model demonstrates satisfying winter storm warning criteria for the LV the last day or so. Confidence level is somewhat high at above 60% too. Looks promising but  I will still rely on the NAM runs on Thursday  night to agree with the Euro runs on Friday morning for a WS warning to be issued by Friday 18Z runs.  Accumulations  look to be 8+ inches on the clown maps but meeting at least  6 in on the total positive snow map is somewhat satisfying in these LR models. I will go with the latter until the NAM shows its cards. The NAM/HRRR is basically the River card in this poker game involving a winter storm event to be issued for the LV. Once that card is turned over, we will all know where we stand. 

• Weenie 1

From JB for those that know who he is "I said I like 3-6 for the city cause the fight is in the I-95 corridor. I think that goes all the way down to DC. 20 miles northwest its snow and 6-12. the US 6 cities from Hartford to PVD and up to BOS I think are all snow. The best lollypop over 12 or more is Garrett County Poconos and Catskills. (duh) and a host of places in southern New England since the second max coming in while the easterly flow is going likely means after heavy snow shuts off, it continues to snow"

Stunned to see JB going for so much snow (not)

• Haha 2

The entire evolution of this storm has obviously changed since just a few days ago, everyone can see that. It'll be a quick thump of snow for 6-8 hours probably Saturday night. I think that bodes for max amounts around 6-8", unless we see a change as we get closer. Still sticking with my first call that the lollipop max is northern Berks up through the Poconos for our CWA. Not a trivial forecast, climo basically

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Newman said:

The entire evolution of this storm has obviously changed since just a few days ago, everyone can see that. It'll be a quick thump of snow for 6-8 hours probably Saturday night. I think that bodes for max amounts around 6-8", unless we see a change as we get closer. Still sticking with my first call that the lollipop max is northern Berks up through the Poconos for our CWA. Not a trivial forecast, climo basically

Frontogenisis generally works out better for us than the slow bomber anyways... 

• Like 1

If you've been doing this long enough, you know the Canadian always always always has an overamped bias and puts down more QPF than feasible (in most cases). The 12z CMC is a shallacking for those NW of 95, but the 12+ totals seem suspect. The storm is literally in and out in 10-12 hours. Yes, I've seen quick moving thump and dump storms consistently average 1 inch hour rates for the duration of the storm. Can't remember which events, but I've seen it during my times in PA. If the Canadian were to come to fruition, I'd imagine there would be some 10" lollis NW of 95. But this isn't a slow moving transfer storm. Again, if you're NW of 95 I'd be expecting a solid accumulating wet snowfall. Those furthest NW and into central PA will have the jack

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Newman said:

If you've been doing this long enough, you know the Canadian always always always has an overamped bias and puts down more QPF than feasible (in most cases). The 12z CMC is a shallacking for those NW of 95, but the 12+ totals seem suspect. The storm is literally in and out in 10-12 hours. Yes, I've seen quick moving thump and dump storms consistently average 1 inch hour rates for the duration of the storm. Can't remember which events, but I've seen it during my times in PA. If the Canadian were to come to fruition, I'd imagine there would be some 10" lollis NW of 95. But this isn't a slow moving transfer storm. Again, if you're NW of 95 I'd be expecting a solid accumulating wet snowfall. Those furthest NW and into central PA will have the jack

Love your professional thoughts! Thanks!! I suspect elevation will help out as it always does in these more marginal temp events. Thanks again and smooth travels to you!

Over the years living in PA, I slowly became a HECS chaser to be honest, especially after Jan 2016 and Jan/Feb 2021. Storms like the one coming up wouldn't typically excite me. But it's been a long time coming and my pops loves snow and wants this one badly. I'm excited for y'all, I'm flying back literally Saturday morning so I'll be missing it

• Like 2