Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 Banter

George BM

13 hours ago, dailylurker said:

I've had snow on the ground for 8 days. I hike on a local mountain bike trail network. It's not crowded. I never see too many people, well.. until I spark a joint. Than some boy scout group will pop up. Anyway.. The amount of dog piss over 8 days is pretty amazing. It's basically a trail of piss and shit lol. I'm high. End of rant.

Snow hides things...streets, mud, some of civilization's uglier bits. Big part of its appeal. Snow also reveals things, like animal tracks, where birds are demolishing berries, and the fact that all of nature is a giant toilet. Have a great day, everyone!

• Like 6

Funny story to me at least, I am having some steps put in leading from my driveway to my backyard and before they could do any work they needed the utility markers identified. Of course we got the first snow on Tuesday last week and they came out to mark on Thursday so my snow had orange and red paint lines on it and flags everywhere which sorta pissed me off but then it snowed again on Friday and covered up everything except the flags sticking out yay. Yesterdays melt has started to expose the paint markings again....best part now is that once that melts it won't be on my grass which i always hated because it took awhile to disappear. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kay said:

Snow hides things...streets, mud, some of civilization's uglier bits. Big part of its appeal. Snow also reveals things, like animal tracks, where birds are demolishing berries, and the fact that all of nature is a giant toilet. Have a great day, everyone!

Seeing the rythm of nature exposed by snow is one of the magical things about snow. I probably hiked 30 miles last week. Most of it in the snow. The highest traffic of deer I saw the entire week was right past where my vegetable and weed garden is going this summer lol. I've got a fence, thankfully. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, CAPE said:

@osfan24

What's not average? I said average(avg) once. Nothing to do with snowfall.

My post was in reference to the finite number of periods where we get a pattern that is supportive of below average temps (with snow chances) in a typical winter for this region, regardless of ENSO state. No mention of Nino, Nina, climo/ any specific amounts of snow, or expectations.

And who of us are 'crazy' and for what reason?

My post was really a response to you questioning that those expecting a big, snowy winter this year don't know where they live. I know where I live, and I understand ENSO and what I should expect given whatever state it is for that winter. What we get on average in a typical winter is really meaningless as ENSO state plays such a massive role in what we actually get in specific winters, which was basically my point all along. I probably average 20-22 inches of snow a year. I don't expect that next year. I expect far less. I don't expect that this year. I expect far more. I expect those things because I know what each winter should deliver. Doesn't mean it will, but it is critical for us to hit big in this ENSO state. Otherwise, average snowfall will crater unless somehow the bad years magically start producing much bigger snows.

My point was that, and it's not just you, and I guess I am kinda just repeating PSU here, but I keep seeing all of these posts acting like nickel and diming our way to climo this winter is good. And it's just not. I'm not saying you can't enjoy it or have whatever expectations you want. That's up to you. I was hoping to see it snow harder at points last week, but overall, it was a great week. Two events, both kinda surprises to some degree, and cold temps that kept the snowpack for 9-10 days. Loved it. But factually, BWI getting 4 snow events this winter and fighting its way to near 20 inches is just not good when factoring in ENSO state.

• Weenie 1

19 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Got the remaining Christmas lights and decorations down this afternoon. Sorta fun to do with a little snow still on the ground :) 

Didn't have the heart to put 'em all away on 1/6 this year...kept the "sparkly snowflake" on the front of the house, as well as the spotlights on the front of the house (changing them from red/green to light blue/purple for January) and it made for some great pics with the snow. I'll finally give in and put it all away next weekend.  :( 

19 hours ago, dailylurker said:

I've had snow on the ground for 8 days. I hike on a local mountain bike trail network. It's not crowded. I never see too many people, well.. until I spark a joint. Than some boy scout group will pop up. Anyway.. The amount of dog piss over 8 days is pretty amazing. It's basically a trail of piss and shit lol. I'm high. End of rant.

6 hours ago, Kay said:

My wife walked our yellow Lab around our neighborhood at midday today and came back astounded at the amount of dog crap left near -- OR ON -- our neighborhood sidewalks. I reminded her (again) of what part of the country we live in -- which explains a lot of this selfish behavior, at least where we live -- and that a lot of folks who have dogs these days enjoy the "having" part...but not the less-enjoyable parts (e.g., cleaning up their sh*t). Honestly...I'd much rather take @dailylurker's remedy to cope these days...except I can't hack the smell of it sometimes.  :D 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

as well as the spotlights on the front of the house (changing them from red/green to light blue/purple for January)

From red and green in Dec, to blue flame lights for Jan here. Then pink for Feb. Good to know I’m not the only one with this issue. :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

LOL. So, I was just thinking in the past hour..."Maybe I should leave those front spotlights out for February...change over to red/purple..."  :D 

Lol, so March is green. April is pink and purple. July is red and blue. October/November are flaming orange. And then the above cycle repeats.

It’s fun being old and senile. But don’t get me started on the monthly gnome decorations. Wife’s fault. I just ran with it…

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, FXW176 said:

Lol, so March is green. April is pink and purple. July is red and blue. October/November are flaming orange. And then the above cycle repeats.

It’s fun being old and senile. But don’t get me started on the monthly gnome decorations. Wife’s fault. I just ran with it…

Oh, you're not old/senile, I'm with ya. I could leave those front spotlights out ALL year, and adjust colors accordingly for holidays/seasons. I have no problem with that. I just don't want to trigger my neighbors any more than I usually do...they already get the vapors cuz we put up our Christmas trees in mid-November...  :D 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Last I want to say on this, I did that "upstairs analysis" several times over the last 10 days I've scrolled through the daily plots on the control runs, saw some H5 pass through VA, a 990 low off the delmarva and was like "there is our HECS" then went to the snow maps and was like..."where's the snow".  It was up in northern PA, similar to that storm 3 weeks ago.  It's also worth noting that the EPS Mean kind of hints at the same thing, with a trough axis to our south indicating a good storm track, but with a snow mean displaced north of us.  

So while everyone is drooling over the EPS H5, and I am too, I am just trying to put it out there that the EPS is hinting that we might have temp issues despite the perfect pattern.  Will we, who knows...but if it goes down that way the guidance did warn us.  That's all.  

I mean this with all due respect but you can be exhausting sometimes 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

I mean this with all due respect but you can be exhausting sometimes 

Why this time, though? He's just pointing out what could go wrong (as he usually does, lol). He doesn't bring up out of nowhere worries, but usually points out stuff with discussion of the models and such that may indicate something that has a chance (albeit small) of being a concern. Kinda feel like we need to be realistic, and if something COULD be a concern, we gotta temper expectations with that in mind.

• Weenie 2

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Why this time, though? He's just pointing out what could go wrong (as he usually does, lol). He doesn't bring up out of nowhere worries, but usually points out stuff with discussion of the models and such that may indicate something that has a chance (albeit small) of being a concern. Kinda feel like we need to be realistic, and if something COULD be a concern, we gotta temper expectations with that in mind.

Shut up dude...please 

• Haha 3

This weather system means serious serious business, Mid Atlantic! It's waterboarding us bad and you are gonna be next! Get your rescue arks ready! Lol this is the THIRD night in a row this plume has been demolishing us with rains!

"General Longwave Pattern" would be a good username. Like, a lesser known Civil War general lol.

I'm bored w mine. Have considered Onshore Flo, for obvious reasons. But idk. Flo.

9 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

If we actually get enough flakes for legit snow TV status during the heart of the warm hades horror winter lull ("WHHWL") I am gonna go ahead and take that as a good sign for prosperity when thing break back our way starting around Feb. 8...

re-posting this in support of the acronym.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its a total train wreck down here. We have extremely dense fog with 100 foot visibilities. No dice for delivery. People are driving at a third of the posted speed limits. I missed the turn to my neighborhood off 1626 because there was no way I could see it. Suddenly on my way home I was in south Austin.

It's just a total disaster. No visibility with a ton of lost people going real real slow.

• Like 1

Final tallies are in. I got 7.5 inches of rain in 3 days. HREF max model predicted we would get 7 to 10 inch lollies. I thought it was crazy. No it wasnt. I now have 9.4 inches on the year already.

I have got all other 12 cities I keep records on beaten BAD. Dale City is around 5.5 inches. This is unreal!

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 3:31 PM, FXW176 said:

HOAs love gnome parties. I hear your is called burning gnome. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Hard to believe 5” 1 week ago. And now 70 fun loving degrees! Looks like it’s going to be a great afternoon to sit out on Carrol Creek and drink a few beers from Idiom. B)

Wow, never heard of Idiom...but looked it up, and what an awesome property. Yet another thing to add to the Frederick day trip agenda in a month or two.

1 hour ago, midatlanticweather said:

13 Year Anniversary pf Carmaggedon! - NUTS. I was on the road for 6 hours trying to get home. Heavy snow and Thundersnow as I traveled.  

January 26, 2011 Snowfall (weather.gov)

snowfall map

This storm was...something else. I know that tens of thousands of other DMV commuters stuck on the Beltway that afternoon endured trips back home 5x-10x their normal length, and they would likely sneer at my experience, but....it took me three hours to traverse the six miles between my Fort Belvoir workplace and home that afternoon.

Every major street/artery on post was in near-total gridlock, which was a direct result of the coordinated and disastrous "guidance" from OPM/DoD to "phase-release" employees. Of course, few employees heeded the actual guidance, and most everyone pretty much left all at once in the early-mid afternoon timeframe.

Out of the 5-6 gates that were open at Belvoir back then...one seemed to close every 30 minutes or so because of storm conditions, until there was only a couple gates left open by storm's end. You'd creep along in traffic for 30-40 min on, and then the MPs would suddenly turn you around to ANOTHER point of egress...which would end up closing by the time you got within 1/4 mile of it.  #WorstCommuteEver

1 hour ago, Scraff said:

Hard to believe 5” 1 week ago. And now 70 fun loving degrees! Looks like it’s going to be a great afternoon to sit out on Carrol Creek and drink a few beers from Idiom. B)

Nice! I might be checking out the new Black Flag location this afternoon off of Marriottsville Rd..  Let me know if you're passing through there later.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic