Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 General Discussion

Chambana

13 minutes ago, dmc76 said:

That was some of the heaviest snow I have ever seen locally here, at one point tI had to be pushing 4 inches an hour

This is probably another one of those events where your area gets two or three more inches than the east side. One of these days I'm gonna take a ride to the hills during an event.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

This is probably another one of those events where your area gets two or three more inches than the east side. One of these days I'm gonna take a ride to the hills during an event.

I’m on the east side now. I have relocated to the the Stoney creek area. No longer in the mountains 

27 minutes ago, dmc76 said:

I’m on the east side now. I have relocated to the the Stoney creek area. No longer in the mountains 

I used to live around 24 / Van Dyke area.  I have Stoney Creek memorized as I used to go there almost every day roller blading or mtn biking.

You have gone the opposite direction I keep moving west and you east :lol:

Snowing beautifully out. Missed the heavy band that creamed areas north and west of me though. Crazy to think some will end up with 4 or 5" out of this. Stings a bit less knowing mild weather is immediately on its heals.

In any event, with moderate snow falling at the 11am obs, DTW has officially seen the wettest January on record. Stats later.

Friend who does salting/plowing (not sure if he posts here sometimes?) said he has had 29 billables this season (dont know what that means lol) and 25 have been in January.

Been a very, very active month in southeast MI, both good and bad.

We are just squeezing every last snowflake out of this system. Up to 4” and still coming down. Will probably finish in the next hour. Not even going to bother with the shovel. Will probably be gone mostly by tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Snowing beautifully out. Missed the heavy band that creamed areas north and west of me though. Crazy to think some will end up with 4 or 5" out of this. Stings a bit less knowing mild weather is immediately on its heals.

In any event, with moderate snow falling at the 11am obs, DTW has officially seen the wettest January on record. Stats later.

Friend who does salting/plowing (not sure if he posts here sometimes?) said he has had 29 billables this season (dont know what that means lol) and 25 have been in January.

Been a very, very active month in southeast MI, both good and bad.

Yeah my family says over 5" at my house.  Stuck at work right now.

It has been a great month for snow IMBY. 

What a difference between Flint and MBY for precip.  I am over 4" of precip this month and Flint is just approaching 3" today. 

On 1/23/2024 at 5:40 PM, roardog said:

No. Those winters were all cold. The warm ones you listed were due to rooftop temperatures. lol

I guess you missed where I also noted 400-500 feet in elevation gain. That would be like using NWS White Lake [at nearly 1000'] for Detroit records. A good chunk of the so-called urban heat island effect is simply because cities tended to develop in river valleys or on lake/coastal Plains and the surrounding suburbs and rural sites are in more elevated upland locations.

2 hours ago, AWMT30 said:

Well closing with 5.3" of snow here in Canton, Michigan. VERY VERY VERY PLEASED 

congrats.

2 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

I'd imagine areas along 59 were the jackpot. Funny possibly the biggest event of the winter might be one where 1-2 were forecasted. Did the band just stall out. What did the models miss?

Seems like extreme northern Wayne/Washtenaw into much of Oakland/Livingston/Macomb was the jackpot with 4-5.5". But obviously the biggest storm of the season so far was Jan 12th. 

We missed the band early on which got those areas off the ground running, so we finished with 1.8" imby, more inline with the actual forecast lol. Since mild weather is coming, im not nearly as mad as I would be if it was going to be cold. 

7 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I guess you missed where I also noted 400-500 feet in elevation gain. That would be like using NWS White Lake [at nearly 1000'] for Detroit records. A good chunk of the so-called urban heat island effect is simply because cities tended to develop in river valleys or on lake/coastal Plains and the surrounding suburbs and rural sites are in more elevated upland locations.

In any event, I have a fair idea of the magnitude of warming since the city office continued to report weather conditions through 1979. It averaged 2.6F warmer over those nearly three decades, and even more so on good radiational cooling nights. There were likely many 5F nights that would have gotten to zero or below at the airport.

DTW reported 2.4" snowfall on 0.28" liquid today.

It's officially Detroit's wettest January on record at 5.25", breaking the previous 1932 record of 5.02".

Snowfall for the month, while not a record, was also above average. At 17.0" this ranks is the 27th snowiest January on record. The snowiest January was set 10 years ago (39.4") during the unforgettable 2013-14 winter. Season to date snowfall at DTW is 19.5".

I saw 1.8" today, bringing my monthly total to 16.0" and the season to 18.1".

FB_IMG_1706650261680.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

DTW reported 2.4" snowfall on 0.28" liquid today.

It's officially Detroit's wettest January on record at 5.25", breaking the previous 1932 record of 5.02".

Snowfall for the month, while not a record, was also above average. At 17.0" this ranks is the 27th snowiest January on record. The snowiest January was set 10 years ago (39.4") during the unforgettable 2013-14 winter. Season to date snowfall at DTW is 19.5".

I saw 1.8" today, bringing my monthly total to 16.0" and the season to 18.1".

FB_IMG_1706650261680.jpg

wow, you guys have been cashing in down there. Toronto will finish with around 11" which is pretty much normal for January. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Crazy how detroit broke the precip record for january after today. Who would've thought half of it was probably liquid.

1932 January had .9" so it was almost all rain. Imagine having that happen 

• Sad 1