Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 General Discussion

Chambana

5 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The last two weeks have been extremely cloudy.  I remember only a few brief peaks of sun over that period.

With the lack of snow continuing over the next couple weeks (even with an upcoming "Arctic" airmass), this is a January 2020 repeat.

5 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Tonight's sneaky little wave has been improving for my area.  The 12z HRRR now has a strip of 3-4" from Cedar Rapids to Dubuque.

image.thumb.png.3a65129caaa472b93515b58b66ededae.png

At the top of that graphic is what I'm expecting in my area. LES event underway right now, especially around Silver Bay to my NE. Radar showing an area of mod/hvy snow right where that bullseye is on the storyboard below. Modelling did a good job this time around.

LES event Jan 10-11.gif

Looking at the models today, this LES event will probably be extended into Fri pm. 2nd stm system is going to keep mid levels out of the E, with E/NE surface winds. Temps tho will being dropping during that time. 1-2' not out of the question (Wed-Fri) depending on band alignment & movement. Then the LES machine focuses on the south shore (N WI/ UP MI).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian D said:

At the top of that graphic is what I'm expecting in my area. LES event underway right now, especially around Silver Bay to my NE. Radar showing an area of mod/hvy snow right where that bullseye is on the storyboard below. Modelling did a good job this time around.

LES event Jan 10-11.gif

Interesting! Definitely not the usual lake effect snow location, see it on the northwest shore of the lake

• Like 2

Actually LES events happen quite regular anywhere along the shore, along with enhancement situations. They are very subject to the wx pattern as to where they end up, and each year can be a bit different. S shore of the lake have their regular belt areas on cold, northerly winds.

• Like 1

Nice event today as it looks like MBY will end up with ~2" .  Had about an 1" of snow remaining from the Jan 9th event (actually got a couple inches from the backlash) before this one started.  So hopefully not much melting prior to tomorrow event as I would like to keep these few inches on the ground before it starts!!

7 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Nice event today as it looks like MBY will end up with ~2" .  Had about an 1" of snow remaining from the Jan 9th event (actually got a couple inches from the backlash) before this one started.  So hopefully not much melting prior to tomorrow event as I would like to keep these few inches on the ground before it starts!!

I’m quite pleased with this mornings snow. Going to be a pain for work today but at least it looks like winter for now… hoping and praying that warm nose don’t get too warm and melt everything in those few hours.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

1.5" of snow this morning. Very scenic early but getting melty now with the warm nose.

FB_IMG_1704985984559.jpg

Yeah it’s coming off the trees as we speak. Making for messy wet work this morning. Glad to see the scenic side finally!

• Like 1

2.9" imby with a general 3-6" around the area. Lake band to my N netted 6-9". Still snowing good this morning. Potential for the snow to continue into Sat am. As cold N/NE winds at the surface with E/NE mid levels should create more heavy bands thanks to to the large system to the south. Currently the LP with trough is bringing synoptic snows combined with some lake enhancement, and lake bands are mainly N of me with E mid level flow. Good to see the snow pack build before bitter wx settles in for a short time.

Jan 11 snow.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Snow slowly melted throughout the day today, got up to 37 and remains damp. 

Ain't been the winter for snow cover, so far. Hope things change. But after this storm, things dry out for the next 10 days lol. 

• Like 1