Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

50 minutes ago, Ji said:

Nino should be easy for us. This is too hard

It’s only ever easy for us in the rare historic years where IAD or BWI get 50+. But most of those years are Nino so they’re always the back of our mind

38 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

i mean it generally is supposed to be easier for it to snow in CHICAGO than in the southern Mid Atlantic.

Can't argue with that statement!  Except for that type of event on the gfs which is more likely to be in the mid atlantic historically... Can't find more than a dozen 15 inch + storms there since the 1800s.... 

We are in a -pdo so it’s easy to just “blame the pac” and we’ve spent long stretches of the last 8 years when it was the pacific. But I’ve seen troubling signs when it wasn’t. 

example 

IMG_0862.thumb.png.4532ea300c29601f73f785b21a318134.png
look at the pacific long wave pattern there. Trough west of AK. Epo ridge. But the trough dumps west. 

Here…

IMG_0863.thumb.png.29557e9ce2ff8cb1b72a2352b05e4dac.png

same. 
then…IMG_0864.thumb.png.5a158679f3797cfd13fb97fa6d041a84.png

opposite configuration and it floods pacific puke across. So if both possible long wave configurations don’t work….no matter how the pac is aligned the trough dumps west. The wave lengths just shorten to do it. The only way lately we get a +pna is when there is a trough just off the coast flooding warmth across the whole country so that does no good!  

Imo the Atlantic is just as much to blame. That high constantly off the southeast resists a trough moving east. The wave lengths just shorten so the energy digs even deeper west. Even when the pac is aligned there seems to be resistance to a trough diving into the southeast. 

It’s not been impossible. We’ve had some periods that knock down the war. But it seems to be a bigger part of the problem that gets talked about. 

• Like 3

Ah yes, I had a good feeling we’d wake up with one weenie run after seeing the 18z EPS.

We need to keep the TPV here in SE Canada there, if it migrates W we lose the cold and heights will pump N in the Southeast

As is it’s almost perfect, snows in the 20s. Perfect overrunning event long way to go lol

b2d9760f2a331db352b656d5a725f272.jpg

• Like 5

For the 16-17th- Looking at the individual members on the 0z EPS, about 15(30%) have the boundary to our west, which is a bit more than the 12z run. Of those members (for those that have the wave) frozen is focused to our west. The rest of the members that have a storm indicate frozen over our area or just south. Overall still a modest signal, but for those looking at the snow mean for that window, explains why it's still focused NW.

The 0z GEFS has only 2-3 members implying the boundary is still to our west, and there is a somewhat stronger signal overall for frozen through our area. Compared to previous runs, seeing less of an indication for OV frozen for that period.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

For the 16-17th- Looking at the individual members on the 0z EPS, about 15(30%) have the boundary to our west, which is a bit more than the 12z run. Of those members those that have the wave frozen is focused to our west. The rest of the members that have a storm indicate frozen over our area or just south. Overall still a modest signal, but for those looking at the snow mean for that window, explains why it's still focused NW.

The 0z GEFS has only 2-3 members implying the boundary is still to our west, and there is a somewhat stronger signal overall for frozen through our area. Compared to previous runs, seeing less of an indication for OV frozen for that period.

You think the lowlands have a chance with this one ?

Seems we are battling another cutter or suppression.   A fine balancing act.  

36 minutes ago, frd said:

You think the lowlands have a chance with this one ?

Seems we are battling another cutter or suppression.   A fine balancing act.  

I think so. It probably wouldn't be a cutter- in the case of the EPS members that indicate frozen to our west, that implies the wave is moving along the boundary before it progresses eastward enough. More of a timing thing between the wave and advancement of the colder airmass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Heisy said:

Ah yes, I had a good feeling we’d wake up with one weenie run after seeing the 18z EPS.

We need to keep the TPV here in SE Canada there, if it migrates W we lose the cold and heights will pump N in the Southeast

As is it’s almost perfect, snows in the 20s. Perfect overrunning event long way to go lol

b2d9760f2a331db352b656d5a725f272.jpg

yeah the it should be much colder leading in to this period.  Here was the 850 Temp Anomaly right before our weekend storm that was just a tad too warm:

image.thumb.png.8afebbdb4fa7dd5139364893f9ff4946.png 

Now compare that to the upper level temps leading in to the Jan 16th period:

image.thumb.png.44eb8417eded0a3fe8fc9a6f0130c8bc.png

image.png

• Like 2

The synoptic setup for around the 20th still looks interesting. Checks a lot of boxes for a winter storm in the MA, and there is an indication of a southern stream shortwave interacting with NS energy riding overtop the ridge.

1705730400-mONaNGO7ydU.png

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Heisy said:

6z gfs has better tpv positioning vs 00z, see if it can hold.

This is really close to classic…
d3f8451c6b32943895dd0a5f26d31935.jpg

Details matter. That would be perfect if that tpv in Quebec were moving east towards 50/50. But it’s retrograding.  Unless that gets further east than even the euro has it, we run the risk of a cutter or suppressed and are left at the mercy of timing and trying to tread the needle with the wave along the boundary. 

Details matter. That would be perfect if that tpv in Quebec were moving east towards 50/50. But it’s retrograding.  Unless that gets further east than even the euro has it, we run the risk of a cutter and are left at the mercy of timing and trying to tread the needle with the wave along the boundary. 

Yes agreed. I mentioned in my other post we need to avoid the retrograde or start everything farther E. We find ways to fail these days though so while it’s definitely our next threat I’m sure we’ll find a way to screw jt up.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

There is a reason 50/50 is the sweet spot. It leaves enough room for a wave to amply behind it while also creating a westerly flow just above us so the system can’t cut. With the tpv west of there we have to play a balance act.  Too strong and it squashes the wave. To weak the wave cuts.  

It’s a legit threat. But as shown a tenuous one. I’d be honking like crazy if we see that tpv trend closer to the canonical spot. Otherwise as shown it’s not a setup I’d feel good about until much closer leads because of the delicate balance being played there. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

There is a reason 50/50 is the sweet spot. It leaves enough room for a wave to amply behind it while also creating a westerly flow just above us so the system can’t cut. With the tpv west of there we have to play a balance act.  Too strong and it squashes the wave. To weak the wave cuts.  

It’s a legit threat. But as shown a tenuous one. I’d be honking like crazy if we see that tpv trend closer to the canonical spot. Otherwise as shown it’s not a setup I’d feel good about until much closer leads because of the delicate balance being played there. 

Euro looks great but like you said a minor shift W with TPV and we lose the cold.

Comes down to this…
1aeb0c18255ac92436a9914461388aa3.jpg
3e992d2ba09ebeccf18fd0a384e90120.jpg

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The synoptic setup for around the 20th still looks interesting. Checks a lot of boxes for a winter storm in the MA, and there is an indication of a southern stream shortwave interacting with NS energy riding overtop the ridge.

1705730400-mONaNGO7ydU.png

If the guidance is right about the progression that’s the one that has the highest probability imo.  The wave before it has a shot but unless the tpv shifts east of currently shown it needs a lot of timing and amplitude variables to go right. That look there is more classic for a wide margin of error threat where we can survive more synoptic details not being perfect because the long wave flow is set up exactly right. 

• Like 2