Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

6z GEFS for the 16-17th potential. This is a pretty strong signal for a significant shortwave and developing surface low at this range.

1705471200-jP0yZ2B4TTY.png

1705471200-lcPCDNn5MMo.png

Well I'm in Wisconsin then so book it

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

12z GFS took a step closer for the 13th. Now that’s a storm I’d chase to Ohio verbatim if I didn’t have other plans. What a mauling

Billions of isobars.  Like a dark hole.  

3 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Not sure what he is trying to say…?

2 minutes ago, frd said:

I read Judah's post and was like what ?? 

Most reliable professional mets are calling for a weak PV. 

Who knows. He is a one trick pony and a snake oil salesman. To him everything that happens at 500 mb and below in winter hinges on the state of the SPV.

The good news in the LR is that the MJO (at least in GEFS) races through phases 4-5 within a few days to a week or so, then we should see it get back into P7 by late Jan. 

So maybe we get a window of opportunity between Jan 15-20, and again towards the end of the month into early feb. Plus the SSWE is actually in progress, so increased blocking throughout late Jan - Most of Feb 

• Like 1

Models lost the -EPO-ridging for Jan 13th storm.. neutral heights now over Alaska, and they retrograde the -PNA ridge to -WPO only when we start losing the -NAO. That's what I thought yesterday, they sometimes hold onto a strong storm track, and adjust the upper latitude heights, if the total situation before is more unlikely.  We needed that EPO-block from the last few 12z Euro runs. It's all but gone on 06z GEFS. 

• Thanks 2

The good news in the LR is that the MJO (at least in GEFS) races through phases 4-5 within a few days to a week or so, then we should see it get back into P7 by late Jan. 
So maybe we get a window of opportunity between Jan 15-20, and again towards the end of the month into early feb. Plus the SSWE is actually in progress, so increased blocking throughout late Jan - Most of Feb 

Phase 1 and 2 didn’t do anything for us

29 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Not sure what he is trying to say…?

I don’t know about the SPV but from experience we don’t really want that epo ridge migrating to Siberia. That usually isn’t good in the immediate aftermath. But I have no idea about his winger cancel nonsense nor are we sure that’s right or not just temporary. 

18 minutes ago, StormyClearweather said:

This is my ignorance and weenieism talking, but is there genuine reason to believe it could continue?

That storm is going to track along the thermal boundary, which has looked like it would be to our west for this period. There is a bit of a 'trend' to move it eastward a bit a faster. This can be seen looking at the individual members- a quick look at the 12z GEFS reveals that there are about 8 that have the boundary closer(or even south) and get frozen into our area.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, StormyClearweather said:

This is my ignorance and weenieism talking, but is there genuine reason to believe it could continue?

I'm personally starting to let that threat go. The window where it looked like we were moving towards a workable solution included the TPV hanging back longer in the Pac NW while a weaker lobe popped out and went on its own, plus there was a wave sliding off the coast as the storm approached to fist fight the ridging ahead of the event. None of the models show that now (edit: Operational models, that look is not entirely gone from ensembles), either bringing back strong ridging in front of the event or making the TPV come forward and phase.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Or did they?  We went from way too warm to just a little too warm.  

Don’t remember which phase it was, but we did get an area wide 0.5-3” here back in Dec. maybe it had nothin to do with the mjo, which I’m no expert on

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Or did they?  We went from way too warm to just a little too warm.  

It is odd that the GEFS/GFS though now for the better part of 2-3 days when it shows a raging 4-5 MJO on its plots shows what is probably the most favorable pattern for snow in the MA and up the coastal plain we've had all winter but that may simply be the fact there is typically a lag so 1/17-1/22 might be okay even if the MJO is strongly in 5, but 1/23-1/30 may be where its a raging SER