• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
One-3" of rain expected NYC sub forum 1P Wed-1P Thu 12/29/23 and may result in minor small stream flooding Thursday, especially Northern NJ near NYC. Isolated 4" possible.

wdrag

35 minutes ago, Cfa said:

2.70” and counting, December, which was only slightly ahead of July, is now the wettest month of this year. All rain.

1. December: 10.60”

2. September: 8.40”

3. July: 7.80”

Year: 60.70”

This month is probably the first to breach the 10” mark for my PWS, and this is easily the wettest year on record, very feast or famine though with a few months being bone dry with less than 2”.

April-June was the best this year (except for when the skies turned deep red from the wild fires).

21 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Flood watch issued by Mt holly 

.FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM EST THIS EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY

EVENING...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.

* WHERE...Portions of northern Delaware, including the following area, New Castle, New Jersey, including the following areas, Atlantic, Atlantic Coastal Cape May, Camden, Cape May, Coastal Atlantic, Coastal Ocean, Cumberland, Eastern Monmouth, Gloucester,  Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Northwestern Burlington, Ocean, Salem, Somerset, Southeastern Burlington, Sussex, Warren and Western Monmouth, and southeast Pennsylvania, including the following areas, Delaware, Eastern Chester, Eastern Montgomery, Lower Bucks, Philadelphia, Upper Bucks, Western Chester and Western Montgomery.

* WHEN...From 7 PM EST this evening through Thursday evening.

* IMPACTS...Excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and other low-lying and flood-prone locations.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...

- Rainfall totals of 1.5 to 2.0 inches are forecast across the watched area tonight and Thursday with the heaviest rainfall  expected during the evening and overnight hours tonight. Some  areas may see locally higher totals near 3.0 inches. Soils remain saturated due to recent rainfall events and rivers streamflows remain elevated, especially in the Passaic basin.

- http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood

This was a good watch issuance for NJ by Mt Holly.

CoCoRaHs two rainfalls added for your check (please click for clarity).  Am done with this rainfall posting til I do the 3 day tomorrow morning 830AM.  

HREF, just wish it had been further west.  

ou saw how conservative the BOM can be when taking all models into account (their variability of max amounts). You can check the original post for their forecast.  Suspect that held us back 12 hours or more on a watch.

I apologize for the wrong date in the headline (should have been Thu 12/28). I'm not going to change it now.  The thread stands.  

Next, how much more rainfall for CP? Am pretty sure it gets to #11 yearly with over 1.5" for this event...probably 1.6-2" total. 

Also...if someone can check XMACIS on Dec/Yearly for EWR, TTN, ABE and post--- otherwise I can check for that late this eve. Saw the earlier helpful post on ABE Dec and yearly.

Screen Shot 2023-12-28 at 9.18.51 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many people dont realize that the Saw Mill Pkwy is actually the Saw Mill River Pkwy.

next to it is the Saw Mill River, which at most, is a glorified Brook. It now looks like this once a week. Very sad what’s happening here and very alarming.

Anybody that thinks this is in the realm of normal is delusional

IMG_6288.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

CoCoRaHs two rainfalls added for your check (please click for clarity).  Am done with this rainfall posting til I do the 3 day tomorrow morning 830AM.  

HREF, just wish it had been further west.  

ou saw how conservative the BOM can be when taking all models into account (their variability of max amounts). You can check the original post for their forecast.  Suspect that held us back 12 hours or more on a watch.

I apologize for the wrong date in the headline (should have been Thu 12/28). I'm not going to change it now.  The thread stands.  

Next, how much more rainfall for CP? Am pretty sure it gets to #11 yearly with over 1.5" for this event...probably 1.6-2" total. 

Also...if someone can check XMACIS on Dec/Yearly for EWR, TTN, ABE and post--- otherwise I can check for that late this eve. Saw the earlier helpful post on ABE Dec and yearly.

Screen Shot 2023-12-28 at 9.18.51 AM.png

Thanks Walt!  Wow, what a sharp drop off to the NW, this would make for an interesting snowfall map in Late January or February lol

2 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Many people dont realize that the Saw Mill Pkwy is actually the Saw Mill River Pkwy.

next to it is the Saw Mill River, which at most, is a glorified Brook. It now looks like this once a week. Very sad what’s happening here and very alarming.

Anybody that thinks this is in the realm of normal is delusional

IMG_6288.jpeg

Do they ever think about damming up these rivers or is that a total no go? It's needed in NJ too

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Do they ever think about damming up these rivers or is that a total no go? It's needed in NJ too

Money. Buying back property or eminent domain.  Don’t see that,  but I do see being alert as to where you live, if finances permit

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I doubt it.  That's the type of solution that can improve one area and make another area worse.  I doubt there is any room for the required impoundment to hold the water, almost certainly not without flooding residences.  That creek has been flooding the parkway since it was built, although 3 times in one month is a lot.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Damming isn't a solution.  Someone will end up getting flooded way worse.  The problem is over developement and paving over every inch of permiable ground.  These rivers rose and flooded long before we lived here and will do so after we're gone.  Is it worse now, no doubt. But there's no stopping mother nature. 

• Like 1

They are removing dams in New Jersey to improve the ecology for native species. See the Duke Farms area in Somerset County and now the Paulinskill in Sussex as examples.

The earth will be fine, people need to adapt. 

I couldn’t believe the multi- million dollar rebuilds along the Jersey shore after Sandy, but it’s human nature. I just don’t like hearing sob stories after the next episode. 

Just now, ForestHillWx said:

They are removing dams in New Jersey to improve the ecology for native species. See the Duke Farms area in Somerset County and now the Paulinskill in Sussex as examples.

The earth will be fine, people need to adapt. 

I couldn’t believe the multi- million dollar rebuilds along the Jersey shore after Sandy, but it’s human nature. I just don’t like hearing sob stories after the next episode. 

It makes you wonder why people want to live near a river?

Aren't there other problems associated with living near rivers too, more biting insects, etc?

28 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It makes you wonder why people want to live near a river?

Aren't there other problems associated with living near rivers too, more biting insects, etc?

Why now or when the communities were originally built? 

Speaking of my own family, many had summer bungalows along the Pompton/Passaic Rivers during the 1920s-1940s, however as development ramped up in the 1950s and after, the normal course for excess water flow were lost. These areas were largely forest/farm land that could handle the water.

My great-grandmother, (who died in 2001 at 98 years) told us a story of floating out of her bungalow one night on her bedroom furniture. That happened at some time in the 1930s before development exacerbated the problem. That area is known as “Maple Grove” and the counties (Morris/Passaic) have actually purchased the bulk of the land to remediate all homes.

Why people purchase homes in low lying areas at present, I anticipate are largely due to financial constraints. 

• Like 4

fwiw: yesterdays rainfall attached (after 7am ish), and the 3 day totals...max I could find about 3.46" Somerset County. Click for clarity. 

Forced at least one moderate flood in NNJ, and several minors.  Now the recovery.

NYC CP a little more than 1.5". Pushed the month to 6.66" #9 wettest since records began 1869 and #11 yearly with 59.24". 

My last on this event. 

Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 9.46.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 9.48.17 AM.png

Drove through that torrential rain around 4 am Thursday morning leaving long Island with the wife following. It was terrible on the L.I.E. Accidents everywhere. We were lucky and made it down to Georgia, where we will start our new life. Good luck to everyone up north getting some snow. Im sure eventually it will happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1