Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

4 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Always liked Ashby. Skied there as a kid. Gives you an indication of my age.

Screenshot_20240125_195542_Chrome.jpg

I was living in Holden in 1988 when they almost reopened. Some dude bought the place and was ready to open it but he never got the permits and it just slowly got engulfed by the wilderness since then. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was living in Holden in 1988 when they almost reopened. Some dude bought the place and was ready to open it but he never got the permits and it just slowly got engulfed by the wilderness since then. 

Yeah.   A couple I somewhat knew back around 2000 tried to buy it but couldn’t put the deal together. Both were avid skiers. The wife got severely injured while racing in Maine somewhere and eventually succumbed to her injuries.  If only they had been successful. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah.   A couple I somewhat knew back around 2000 tried to buy it but couldn’t put the deal together. Both were avid skiers. The wife got severely injured while racing in Maine somewhere and eventually succumbed to her injuries.  If only they had been successful. 

Yeah it was my first winter back up here after living in Texas from age 2 to 7 and I remember seeing ads for Watatic that fall even as an elementary school kid who didn’t ski yet…the dude actually put ads out he was so confident and then got the shaft, lol. 

I wonder why they never let him reopen. It probably would have been good for the area to have another ski area. I always wondered if Wa-Wa did some “influencing” to keep them closed. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it was my first winter back up here after living in Texas from age 2 to 7 and I remember seeing ads for Watatic that fall even as an elementary school kid who didn’t ski yet…the dude actually put ads out he was so confident and then got the shaft, lol. 

I wonder why they never let him reopen. It probably would have been good for the area to have another ski area. I always wondered if Wa-Wa did some “influencing” to keep them closed. 

It faces better than Wachusett for snow retention. People who I know who had skied it said it was pretty fun. 
I don’t know if the Crowley’s have that much reach.  But maybe 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

This is a great site for lost ski areas. Was on a ski team in the early '70s and must have skied them all. We practiced at night at klein innsbrook in Franklin and during the day Blue hills. Weird thing is I don't ever remember getting rained out of meet. Maybe once at prospect Hill in Waltham. Times they are a changin'...

https://www.nelsap.org/ma/bostonhills.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It faces better than Wachusett for snow retention. People who I know who had skied it said it was pretty fun. 
I don’t know if the Crowley’s have that much reach.  But maybe 

It was definitely one of my favorites of all the little ski areas. Beautiful surroundings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kdxken said:

This is a great site for lost ski areas. Was on a ski team in the early '70s and must have skied them all. We practiced at night at klein innsbrook in Franklin and during the day Blue hills. Weird thing is I don't ever remember getting rained out of meet. Maybe once at prospect Hill in Waltham. Times they are a changin'...

https://www.nelsap.org/ma/bostonhills.html

Yep.  I used to be on that site a lot and was just looking at the Watatic info.  Nothing new on it. 

36 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Always liked Ashby. Skied there as a kid. Gives you an indication of my age.

Screenshot_20240125_195542_Chrome.jpg

I skied Watatic once as a kid and then back country skied it as an adult.  Nice mountain.

It’s technically part of the Monadnock range.  Kind of the middle of nowhere as far as MA goes so tough to stay afloat financially back then.  I’m sure they would do better these days.

When I hiked there in the 90’s we actually went in some of the old structures and there was still old signs and decaying ephemera.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I skied Watatic once as a kid and then back country skied it as an adult.  Nice mountain.

It’s technically part of the Monadnock range.  Kind of the middle of nowhere as far as MA goes so tough to stay afloat financially back then.  I’m sure they would do better these days.

When I hiked there in the 90’s we actually went in some of the old structures and there was still old signs and decaying ephemera.  

Wachusett is just so busy now, the area really could use another mountain. That's why I stopped buying a season pass, line would be too long and I'd just end up at the bar ... Or at least that's what I tell myself :pepsi:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

In more exciting news, my snow depth actually increased to 17" today! Had to measure on a hill as it was the only untouched spot I could find. I found this unedited snippet from JPL that could explain the increase. It was likely due to the warm weather and water expansion.

True increased snow depth.jpg

Water expands proof.jpg

By far of the biggest image.gif.e5da8793c84603b8b66f35a5acc357a4.gifimage.gif.a67c820d8ee3ee3afcfc3aae96e08136.gifimage.gif.58d13d0431ede19f698428b4e683b5b3.gifposts ever, wow

• Like 2
  • Haha 3