Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I could totally see the month just kind of being normal....which ends up as another subpar season, and a lack of blocking would leave less margin for error.

Agreed.

I’m actually more curious about March. I think we’ll need a good March too. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hey Walt long time no see. We miss you in New England. Best NWS met ever.

Hey thanks... BUT.  easy to not be decent at this modelology.  I'll stay off this thread but I saw a comment was added. NAM continues tomorrows spits of snow and seems north for Friday.  Unsure how this will play but I'm in the more snow camp.   

This event while not big, is different than yesterday and I think a little more potent with the config aloft.  We'll see what happens if its dead and south like the EC.  

I'm not impressed with the EC this January.  Except for 1 or 2 early D4 or 5 cycles,  it was terrible on icing for yesterday.  Not sure if its an adjusted way of doing the modeling - it definitely underplayed the qpf again. 

This my last. You all have if.  If the NAM I overamped, then not much up there. Til I see the NAM RDPS lose it... I'll be looking for a little more than the tempered globals. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I feel like there is some obfuscation and equivocation going on here....everything has gone so shitty for so long that people are conditioned to assume that that will continue, which triggers skepticism of objective analysis of guidance that isn't dire or offers reason for optimism.

I agree regarding the blocking, but I see no reason to doubt the favorable Pac look during a time that is climo favored to look like that in a warm ENSO.

So much human psychology intertwined into winter weather fandom. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Check out how deep this DGZ is on the 60 hour NAM sounding...that's the type of temp profile where you can get 6" on 0.25" of QPF if you can squeeze that much out of the atmosphere.

image.png.7e9f70680928082c51e35e656114e937.png

Where is that?

I hope it works out for the SOP guys....I don't expect much, but I am rooting for them down there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Hey thanks... BUT.  easy to not be decent at this modelology.  I'll stay off this thread but I saw a comment was added. NAM continues tomorrows spits of snow and seems north for Friday.  Unsure how this will play but I'm in the more snow camp.   

This event while not big, is different than yesterday and I think a little more potent with the config aloft.  We'll see what happens if its dead and south like the EC.  

I'm not impressed with the EC this January.  Except for 1 or 2 early D4 or 5 cycles,  it was terrible on icing for yesterday.  Not sure if its an adjusted way of doing the modeling - it definitely underplayed the qpf again. 

This my last. You all have if.  If the NAM I overamped, then not much up there. Til I see the NAM RDPS lose it... I'll be looking for a little more than the tempered globals. 

Please don't......

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Where is that?

I hope it works out for the SOP guys....I don't expect much, but I am rooting for them down there.

That was right near my 'hood on the NAM.

You can see it's fighting some dry air though even in that sounding. IF the dry column can be overcome, there could be a pretty nice stripe of snowfall given the deep DGZ and cold sfc temps....very high ratios most likely unless the lift stays too high above the DGZ....but usually when the DGZ is that deep, you're getting pretty good growth regardless...as long as there's some half-decent omega in there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

You all are on it... keep monitoring. 09z serf sagged a little south but pretty beefy.  am pretty sure we'll see a band of 5" somewhere between PHL and BDR. 

also...fwiw.. a band of 1/4-1" snow continues for tomorrow in N CT-S Ma...  that may mt be f interest but it is to me..a possible hilly hazard. 

Thanks Walt. Try and pop in here to list if time permits 

Personally not surprised some models may be attempting to north adjusting as we near. 

Brookline' and I were discussing last night and those synoptic conjectural aspects are still very much in play.  There's a ton of powerful jet max running along S of LI.  Previous guidance cycles have been suppressed down around 2.5 or 3 Deg lat below the ideal climate signal for White Plains NY to Bedford MA QPF max, but as we discussed ... if future guidance were to wiggle that axis just a hair, 1.5 N - very doable even in good performance modeling sources at an 84+ hour range - than it's too plausible that we're in for another short range correction toward a light if not moderate up to the Pike.  Wiggle more ...adjust more...less, adjust less - talking in terms of the probability layout.

I think Walter's been posting those over in his thread efforts in the NYC thread; they may or may be based up this sort of climate approach - in fact I'm entirely certain what constitutes those products ...

Anyway, I've been noticing with the RGEM too ... both are filling in QPF to N. PA and S. VT/NH whenever the jet axis ticks N across recent run cycles ... which tentatively offers a realization on this philosophy above. 

Like I've been saying ...I'm not sold on missing a light to potentially moderate result clipping the S. half of the SNE.  It's appears the sensitivity is related to where the W-E axis situates in latitude entirely with this.