Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

5 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Are you kidding. That forum is a shit show lol. This forum much more civil and respectful 

The Jan thread there is trainwreck this morning-lot of insults and personal attacks which is what you get in a bad pattern

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Yep-the big pattern has yet to materialize and it's getting to the point where it may not happen and we're just mainly warm and wet like December....

It feels like something has to produce in the 2nd half of the month even if just a 3 to 6 type event but no guarantees. Would be crazy if we enter February with central park still trying to get an inch

40 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

The Jan thread there is trainwreck this morning-lot of insults and personal attacks which is what you get in a bad pattern

95% of them just got a significant to major snowstorm… :lol:

Anyway definitely concerning system tomorrow night with strong winds (though probably overdone on most modeling) and heavy rains esp NW where snowmelt will cause big flood concerns. Here hopefully the worst happens at low tide again. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Brutal in that forum currently…

the pattern clearly getting to them 

47 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

There's a NW/interior thread

I try to mention interior/NW but to be honest their outcome with the last storm was determined 4-5 days in advance and I understand how things work down here a lot better. And like others said most posters are from the city/near the coast. As for the ridiculous bickering and insults, those posters need to grow the F up. 

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

I saw about 10 flakes and kept civilized. If they can’t get over whatever their issue is that’s for their therapist to help them figure out. It very much sucked but you accept there’s nothing you can do to change it other than move or if you have to, wreck up the banter thread. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

I can’t even remember any La Niña January when we had 2 Great Lakes cutters of 976 mb or lower only 3 days apart. 

10064198-3CEA-46A7-8D58-7EBAA4B09B2E.thumb.png.35208a289f3d53393ce4eda8b762cae4.png
F801BB20-ADBD-4861-A9A1-AE3BE744AA3F.thumb.png.65137e582bb713b9331d538ab2437af4.png

January 26, 1978 was the date of the Ohio Valley Blizzard.  Lowest pressure reached 960 mb in Detroit and 956 mb in Mt. Clemens, MI.  This resulted in a tremendous windstorm in the NE part of the country.  Winds where I lived on the north shore of LI at the time reached 50-60 mph in gusts for a good part of the day and these winds were from the SW after the cold front passed.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Basically 5 years of crap now with regard to the pattern...outside of Feb 2021 it's been mostly trash with the promise something better which fails to materialize 90% of the time.

I feel bad if anything for the lower MA crew. They really haven’t had a significant snowfall since 2016? That’s what I was hearing, but I’m not very familiar with their snowfall stats. 

Certainly hasn’t been great the past few years but Jan 2018, Feb 2021, and Jan 2022 were all good enough to keep me from the ledge. I’d probably be over it if I hadn’t snowed appreciably since 2016. 

The NE crew are a whacky bunch of strong personalities mixing, I genuinely think they’re hilarious. I don’t like when anything devolves into petty insults and fighting, but in general their bickering makes me laugh. 

Hey most of us are here for the same thing with various levels of actual meteorological interest. Those that contribute to prognostication should always be able to state their opinions and perspectives without being mocked for it. I’ve seen a lot of that this year and I think it’s uncalled for, though less on this forum than others thankfully. 

Disagreement and debate is a key part of scientific discussion. 

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Basically 5 years of crap now with regard to the pattern...outside of Feb 2021 it's been mostly trash with the promise something better which fails to materialize 90% of the time.

Hopefully this pattern after 1/13 with more blocking can produce something. I have some hope we can get something to materialize and there should be plenty of cold air to tap. Otherwise yeah, in Long Beach where I was for the last storm, even people who generally don’t like snow are wondering when it will snow again, and when their young kids will get to see snow on the ground. So this snow drought is quite unusual even there. The last snow of any consequence on the South Shore was two years ago. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I feel bad if anything for the lower MA crew. They really haven’t had a significant snowfall since 2016? That’s what I was hearing, but I’m not very familiar with their snowfall stats. 

Certainly hasn’t been great the past few years but Jan 2018, Feb 2021, and Jan 2022 were all good enough to keep me from the ledge. I’d probably be over it if I hadn’t snowed appreciably since 2016. 

The NE crew are a whacky bunch of strong personalities mixing, I genuinely think they’re hilarious. I don’t like when anything devolves into petty insults and fighting, but in general their bickering makes me laugh. 

Hey most of us are here for the same thing with various levels of actual meteorological interest. Those that contribute to prognostication should always be able to state their opinions and perspectives without being mocked for it. I’ve seen a lot of that this year and I think it’s uncalled for, though less on this forum than others thankfully. 

Disagreement and debate is a key part of scientific discussion. 

This was only 2 years ago

sts.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

fwiw... 12z/8 snow depth change is slowing growing via the GEFS.  00z cycles of CMCE-EPS are similar.  This is leaning me to a two storm single thread... but no final yet. IFFF the 12z OP EURO VEERS off course ( a new course) I drop the 16th-17th event.  

Also... that event could end up wet LI and snowy I84.  I think it will occur, and then the cold comes in , with secondary CFP (snow shower) bringing on more significant below normal temps after the 20th.  I 'think' but could be wrong, that we dry out after the 17th for 10 days. 

This is at least a cue... not an answer but something to shape the future. 

Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 12.24.01 PM.png

20 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Will be interesting how much snow Chicago gets this week. Some models have over 30 for them between two storms 

They go snow rain snow tomorrow...I think 6...the next one I believe will miss them to the east in the end...I still lean on that thing trying to be forced a bit SE so more for DTW/TOL

2 hours ago, Nibor said:

JFC the New England subforum is larger than ours and they don’t argue about micro regions. Just let it be. 

It's because they average more snow than us.

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Are you kidding. That forum is a shit show lol. This forum much more civil and respectful 

56 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Alot of them know each other and always joke around.

1 hour ago, North and West said:

If this is civil and respectful...

Oh there used to be some really nasty people here. I remember one famous poster who was an oil futures trader who told another poster he could be his foot stool for 250k....he didn't realize how that would be a huge salary to a lot of us and I immediately offered to interview for that job LOL. TBH it was a lot more fun for a guy like me who isn't quite so into the science, but I don't miss it either. Who wants to wander onto a weather site and be attacked? Can get that in real life every day....and as a social worker I pretty much did. Happily retired.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I've been trying to ignore the extended maps and trying to concentrate on real time data.  Looking for sources of cold air, whether it be in Canada, Siberia, or Northern Europe...

57 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I saw about 10 flakes and kept civilized. If they can’t get over whatever their issue is that’s for their therapist to help them figure out. It very much sucked but you accept there’s nothing you can do to change it other than move or if you have to, wreck up the banter thread. 

As a retired therapist I can tell you I never once had a client complain about lack of snow, but I had plenty get depressed over winter, snow or not. Most people just hate it. Way it is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dark Star said:

I've been trying to ignore the extended maps and trying to concentrate on real time data.  Looking for sources of cold air, whether it be in Canada, Siberia, or Northern Europe...

Makes sense-most of the extended maps have low skill I'm talking day 7+

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

As a retired therapist I can tell you I never once had a client complain about lack of snow, but I had plenty get depressed over winter, snow or not. Most people just hate it. Way it is.

I would be seeing you in the summer complaining about how much I hate the blinding sun and heat, and how much I crave the winter cold and darkness.

Be honest, how many meds would I be leaving your office with?

59 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I got out and enjoyed the inch I had while it was falling. Figured that might be it, you never know. Thought I saw some optimism in here yesterday but now it seems like people are dialing that back?

1 minute ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I would be seeing you in the summer complaining about how much I hate the blinding sun and heat, and how much I crave the winter cold and darkness.

Be honest, how many meds would I be leaving your office with?

Well, I might suggest painting your windows black and cranking up the AC, or taking a trip to someplace like Bariloche in Argentina where it's winter....

• Like 1