Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '23-'24 Piss and Moan/Banter Thread

IWXwx

34 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

See you twice next season. Should be good games. Otherwise, 4 wins apiece against the Bears/Vikings sounds like a plan.

Yes they should be good games.  Packers finally playing like the Packers again.  Honest expect us to split our games again next year.  Agree about those other games ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Man if y'all didn't choke too, would've been a fun nfc championship game in detroit. 

When the Lions were playing like an unstoppable force in the first half, I was thinking about how playing the Packers might have been a much tougher game. Then the second half happened and I changed my mind. lol

• Haha 1

I guess this is off topic. Anyone else dealing with fog in the Chicago area, or is this just smoke and pollution in northwest Indiana from the refinery burning off excess product from the power outage? It’s thick and can see ‘clouds’ of it blowing by out the window.

2 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

See you twice next season. Should be good games. Otherwise, 4 wins apiece against the Bears/Vikings sounds like a plan.

Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png

Ohh I can’t wait for that day already. Wish yall beat the 49ers so Detroit could have hosted :drunk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

return

For some odd reason I don't recall this storm here in metro detroit. Maybe it was ghd2? I do remember a snowstorm forecasted 3-5 days before detroit hosted the superbowl in 2006.  I don't think anything even ended up accumulating.

20 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

For some odd reason I don't recall this storm here in metro detroit. Maybe it was ghd2? I do remember a snowstorm forecasted 3-5 days before detroit hosted the superbowl in 2006.  I don't think anything even ended up accumulating.

It was SB day.  Got several up this way with the SB2006 but most places only got a couple/few inches.

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

If you truly don't recall GHDII, Feb 1-2, 2015, SMH lol. It was a fantastic storm and the 16.7" of snow at DTW made it the largest storm since 1974. It's my favorite storm.

It's easy to get lost in the shadow of the 2013-14 winter, but the 2015 storm was incredible.

FB_IMG_1706899421366.jpg

FB_IMG_1706899441345.jpg

FB_IMG_1706899457164.jpg

FB_IMG_1706899485989.jpg

FB_IMG_1706899712347.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Lightning said:

It was SB day.  Got several up this way with the SB2006 but most places only got a couple/few inches.

Super Bowl 2006 dropped 3.6 inches here, but just 2 inches at DTW. Several days in advance much heavier snow is forecast.

2015 on the other hand, as posted above, was awesome. It was probably the most widespread storm to drop more than a foot of snow over all of Southeast Michigan in decades (jackpot was this area).

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Super Bowl 2006 dropped 3.6 inches here, but just 2 inches at DTW. Several days in advance much heavier snow is forecast.

2015 on the other hand, as posted above, was awesome. It was probably the most widespread storm to drop more than a foot of snow over all of Southeast Michigan in decades (jackpot was this area).

Yeah that SB storm was only heavy in the hills of Oakland but most place 2-5"  I lived near Alpine Valley and parts of Oakland had a bit over 6".  After an incredible Dec start to winter that SB storm ended up being my biggest storm of that winter.  :lol:

Oh I remember that 2015 storm being near a foot+ all over.  I was happy knowing you finally got your big one.  That February was awesome!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Yeah that SB storm was only heavy in the hills of Oakland but most place 2-5"  I lived near Alpine Valley and parts of Oakland had a bit over 6".  After an incredible Dec start to winter that SB storm ended up being my biggest storm of that winter.  :lol:

Oh I remember that 2015 storm being near a foot+ all over.  I was happy knowing you finally got your big one.  That February was awesome!!

Its actually incredible to think that we had two Februaries in a row (2014 & 2015) with wall to wall double digit inch snow depth here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

If you truly don't recall GHDII, Feb 1-2, 2015, SMH lol. It was a fantastic storm and the 16.7" of snow at DTW made it the largest storm since 1974. It's my favorite storm.

It's easy to get lost in the shadow of the 2013-14 winter, but the 2015 storm was incredible.

FB_IMG_1706899421366.jpg

FB_IMG_1706899441345.jpg

FB_IMG_1706899457164.jpg

FB_IMG_1706899485989.jpg

FB_IMG_1706899712347.jpg

This storm definitely #1 and the other real awesome one for #2 imo was the winter storm that brought the extreme cold early 2014.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wishforsnow said:

Coming home crossing the lift bridge into Hancock off to the left I seen a group of presuming MTU students playing hockey on the canal. The ice can't be that thick. It just froze when we got that blast of cold and snow and has been warm since. 

I’m not sure I’d trust any ice south of Hudson Bay this winter. lol

23 minutes ago, roardog said:

I’m not sure I’d trust any ice south of Hudson Bay this winter. lol

The fire dept was at my local lake with an ice rescue boat on my drive home today. Not sure if they were training or someone fell through the ice. People had ice houses setup yesterday but none today. My brother in law was ice fishing in the suburbs last weekend and that lake still had 10” ice on it, but surely conditions have degraded by now. 

This will piss off the winter weenies. This afternoon a small V of sandhill cranes were winging their way back north. True this is just the vanguard and not the main body of V's upon V's. But Mother Nature is still starting to think about the coming Spring.

With minimal cropping and just a hint of a sundog...

8G3A6153.thumb.JPG.3bc43c013bd70e2a2c1695c3671fca7c.JPG

A whole bunch of cropping on this one. About a third of the sensor was all that was saved...

8G3A6164.thumb.JPG.ca1420e94a45dcab1ef8d2ad94d2fcfd.JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bowtie` said:

This will piss off the winter weenies. This afternoon a small V of sandhill cranes were winging their way back north. True this is just the vanguard and not the main body of V's upon V's. But Mother Nature is still starting to think about the coming Spring.

With minimal cropping and just a hint of a sundog...

A whole bunch of cropping on this one. About a third of the sensor was all that was saved...

Not sure why you say this will piss off winter weenies.  I live on a lake and see it all the time.  Many groups of birds hang here until the lake freezes and then go south to the next unfrozen lake. And so on.  Not all birds go deep south or Mexico/Latin America.  I have seen it many times with mid-winter thaws like this as they will head north to find open water.  Had some here the other day but my lake is solid ice.  They flew over and moved on.   If we get an ending with lots of cold they will go back south.  Many try to hang on the fringes of frozen lakes instead of flying deep south.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 1:47 PM, michsnowfreak said:

FB_IMG_1706899421366.jpg

FB_IMG_1706899441345.jpg

FB_IMG_1706899457164.jpg

FB_IMG_1706899485989.jpg

FB_IMG_1706899712347.jpg

February 2015 was absolutely brutal. I remember as a college student struggling along in sub-zero weather to morning classes bundled up like the Michelin man. College of Business was not the shortest walk from my house back then. It was the snowiest February in Toledo history at 25" and second coldest at an average of 12 degrees. 

On 2/3/2024 at 7:06 PM, wishforsnow said:

I seen more people out on the canal today and they were on both sides of the bridge. Stupid idea. This is the first time in the 28 years I lived here I seen people out on the ice outside the snowmobilers going across. 

It's so rare to have a frozen but snowless Portage that some people had to take advantage I guess.

I have no idea how MTU is going to handle Winter Carnival in this weather. I thought last year was bad but 40° and rain on the night of is just going to be brutal

I don't know why anyone would want to go out on Portage ice especially in the Houghton/Hancock bridge area.  When I went to MTU, yes there were snowmobiles all the time, but they wouldn't stop unless it had been very cold.  Even then not so much in the Bridge area.  We rarely saw people out on it.  A winter like this you must be crazy to go out there!!!

On 2/2/2024 at 12:36 PM, Stevo6899 said:

Mysteriously u don’t remember. That was an area wide 13-18”  15-16” in central macomb to be exact 

• Like 3