Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '23-'24 Piss and Moan/Banter Thread

IWXwx

1 hour ago, bowtie` said:

All of you winter weenies are so triggered by anyone that says the word warm. Well, guess what. Dec. is going to come in warm. Warm, warm and warm. Sweating in your sweaters all you winter weenies? Going to ban someone else that says the word warm a lot?

Solidary for hardypalmguy and anyone else that says the word warm.

8G3A3106.thumb.JPG.4b4a190649b17f5e57d4ff290e35e111.JPG

The palm here is doing just fine. Getting so big it is larger than my biggest black background. Going to have to get creative to keep it isolated from now on.       Palms in the midwest for the win. Warm, Warm and lets hope for more warm.

That's not it AT ALL, not even close. This board has people who like all different kinds of weather. Cromartie/palmguy/mittenwx was nothing but a troll. He added absolutely nothing to any weather or even climate change discussion and his entire existence on these forums was to do nothing but troll. In the past he had been banned under several names but since we don't have a moderator in the Great Lakes forum anymore, he was allowed to run wild for quite some time. Once his tireless shenanigans were pointed out to some of the board moderators, they took a look at at his activity, said he was like some of their trolls but on steroids, and banned him. Bowtie, you can talk warmth all you like because you actually add some substance to the discussion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Some kind of sociopath.  Gets off on trying to make people feel bad.

Honestly yeah, like its one thing to like warm weather, but to constantly troll about it while never adding analysis and constantly interjecting into good conversation with garbage it was time. It was time when he came back after being banned to begin with but previous moderation ignored the problem here.  

• Like 3

The tropics of IND just missed setting a futility record for the latest measurable snowfall. The record was set on January 4, 1941.  They received their first measurable snow yesterday (12/31) with a whopping 0.1"!! :lmao:

Maybe Josh and other snow measurers can chime in, but I think it is almost impossible to record 0.1" of snow. I've been measuring for 20 years and have recorded it twice.  It is usually a trace as the ground doesn't get completely covered or the flakes are fluffy enough to record 0.2".  It's hard to get flake size that allows for a 0.1" measurement.

All of that being said to comment that they got robbed as bad as the Lions!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

I know the models are showing a lot of potential in the next couple of weeks but I'm already confident I'll be on the side of cold rain and disappointment.  I figured I'd get started early with my prediction.  

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

I know the models are showing a lot of potential in the next couple of weeks but I'm already confident I'll be on the side of cold rain and disappointment.  I figured I'd get started early with my prediction.  

I’m just wanting a solid 3-6” storm that then stays on the ground for at least a week. The hype about this new pattern has spread to social media so this will be a bit funny if nothing happens in my region. Lots of talk of monster winter storms and frigid air. 

10 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

The hype about this new pattern has spread to social media so this will be a bit funny if nothing happens in my region. Lots of talk of monster winter storms and frigid air. 

I’m in some skiing groups on FB and there is already talk of a big dog around 1/9 like it’s set in stone. The average person doesn’t know not to take the GFS verbatim a week out. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

I’m in some skiing groups on FB and there is already talk of a big dog around 1/9 like it’s set in stone. The average person doesn’t know not to take the GFS verbatim a week out. 

Yep, and then what is a bit annoying is the general public doesn’t understand why Toronto or Chicago aren’t buried in 1-2 feet of snow and -10F 

The pattern is definitely better and I’m hopeful for a mid size 3-6” storm followed by 20s for highs in the next few weeks. That's where my expectations are currently lol 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 10:29 AM, michsnowfreak said:

That's not it AT ALL, not even close. This board has people who like all different kinds of weather. Cromartie/palmguy/mittenwx was nothing but a troll. He added absolutely nothing to any weather or even climate change discussion and his entire existence on these forums was to do nothing but troll. In the past he had been banned under several names but since we don't have a moderator in the Great Lakes forum anymore, he was allowed to run wild for quite some time. Once his tireless shenanigans were pointed out to some of the board moderators, they took a look at at his activity, said he was like some of their trolls but on steroids, and banned him. Bowtie, you can talk warmth all you like because you actually add some substance to the discussion.

I think if you're going to be completely honest, you have to admit that if his schtick was cold bias vs. warm bias, (ie Jebman), and all other things were identical with his posting style, he would not have been banned.   

2 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

He emphasized on the potential being there for something big and that a lot is to change in the coming days, which I agree with. 

33 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

He emphasized on the potential being there for something big and that a lot is to change in the coming days, which I agree with. 

Ya, that’s a good way to put it. But some in Ontario are starting to say make sure you have snowblowers and shovels ready it’s about to become real cold and real snowy 

2 hours ago, buckeye said:

I think if you're going to be completely honest, you have to admit that if his schtick was cold bias vs. warm bias, (ie Jebman), and all other things were identical with his posting style, he would not have been banned.   

I understand what you are saying but it was his continuous trolling nature.  He was doing things intentionally as a troll!!

There are plenty of people on here that love the warmth.  They don't troll like Palmguy. 

Just keep Climate Change stuff to Climate section.  Keep this part of the form mainly to weather events type talk. 

Regarding cold bias yeah there maybe a bit but if we had someone posting JB level cold bias I believe they would be banned too :lol:

• Like 2

The fact of the matter is Palm hoe was the equivalent of going on a BMW forum and then posting exclusively about how bimmers suck and everyone should buy a Miat. Yes, it's a valid stance, but fuck off with it to Reddit or something and stop invading the two square inches of internet space that we use to foam out over clouds. Warm winter weather is still weather but let's be fr we're all 80% here and primarily active in the winter because we want big snows. Bitch boy used that to excrete as much rage-bait-lite as possible because, I imagine, of some sort of psychological damage he sustained IRL. It's still not clear to me why he suddenly vanished -I imagine somebody mentioned it to the admins and they finally did something- but it's the best thing that has happened to the enjoyability of this forum in as long as I've been here for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Lightning said:

I understand what you are saying but it was his continuous trolling nature.  He was doing things intentionally as a troll!!

There are plenty of people on here that love the warmth.  They don't troll like Palmguy. 

Just keep Climate Change stuff to Climate section.  Keep this part of the form mainly to weather events type talk. 

Regarding cold bias yeah there maybe a bit but if we had someone posting JB level cold bias I believe they would be banned too :lol:

Exactly. there are plenty of people here who like warm weather over cold. And they are totally fine because they don't troll

5 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Exactly. there are plenty of people here who like warm weather over cold. And they are totally fine because they don't troll

Although we do quietly laugh at some of the epic meltdowns over the years when big storms miss. :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

The fact of the matter is Palm hoe was the equivalent of going on a BMW forum and then posting exclusively about how bimmers suck and everyone should buy a Miat. Yes, it's a valid stance, but fuck off with it to Reddit or something and stop invading the two square inches of internet space that we use to foam out over clouds. Warm winter weather is still weather but let's be fr we're all 80% here and primarily active in the winter because we want big snows. Bitch boy used that to excrete as much rage-bait-lite as possible because, I imagine, of some sort of psychological damage he sustained IRL. It's still not clear to me why he suddenly vanished -I imagine somebody mentioned it to the admins and they finally did something- but it's the best thing that has happened to the enjoyability of this forum in as long as I've been here for sure.

maybe he just knew the inevitable was about to occur, and moved on to posting year round snow men on the Miami, Florida weather board.

• Haha 6

Temperatures will be marginal at best for some parts of the 1/8-1/10 storm IMBY (north central Indiana and south towards Indy).  Both the GFS and ECMWF show any single digit and teens are 8+ days away which are always skeptical given past history of forecasted cold which tempers as we draw closer.  :axe:

6-10.png

4 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

Temperatures will be marginal at best for some parts of the 1/8-1/10 storm IMBY (north central Indiana and south towards Indy).  Both the GFS and ECMWF show any single digit and teens are 8+ days away which are always skeptical given past history of forecasted cold which tempers as we draw closer.  :axe:

6-10.png

Ya, it’s mostly rain for me where I live. A few more weeks and I’ll be ready for Spring 

2 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

6-10.png

The signal for cold towards mid january is extremely strong.

3 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

January 2016 seems similar at Toronto where it looks like we got heavy rain followed by cold, brief warm up, 1.5" of snow and then below freezing for a week but nothing crazy cold. Will be interesting to see if it follows the same script 

Depending on if this whole polar vortex thing is a tease, which happened often during the 2015/2016 Winter, then it really is following that winter.