Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

On 12/26/2023 at 8:16 PM, Ralph Wiggum said:

Someone needs to remind folks in other subs that these phases are cyclical and not the end times for snowfall. While I believe in that elephant in the room that shall not be mentioned, I dont believe that is the lone cause of tough luck we have had since we 2016 (2014 tbh). There will eventually be a run of snowy years like we have seen in our lifetimes already. You know what I say....buckle up and have patience.

The one thing I recall that lead up to the break of the >6" snow drought in 1978 was that the year before - 1977 - was outright bitter cold glacial.

Very Big Chill: The month that froze Philly

January 1977 remains unmatched for cold in local records.

by Tony Wood
Published Jan. 26, 2017, 5:52 p.m. ET

On this date 40 years ago, the temperature didn't get above freezing – and that ended up being the second-warmest day of the month.

January 1977 went on to become the coldest month in Philadelphia's period of record, dating to 1874.

All 31 days finished with below-normal temperatures, climaxing on the 17th, when the high was 8 and the low got down to 4 below zero. The average temperature was 31 degrees below the normal for the date.

Cold was widespread across the county, straining energy supplies and locking ships in ice.

"January was an extraordinary month weatherwise across the United States."
-Monthly Weather Review

The monthly average temperature for January 1977 in Philadelphia, 20, set a standard for any month in the period of recordkeeping.

More: https://www.inquirer.com/philly/blogs/weather/Very-Big-Chill-The-month-that-froze-Philly.html

Because I rode 2 SEPTA buses to go back and forth to high school then and lived in a hilly area, there were times after flash freezes of earlier rain, when the bus didn't bother to come or diverted far out of my way and I needed to walk (slip slide) to wherever they detoured the bus stop to due to glacial sheets of ice everywhere.  It was a nightmare although obviously being WAAAAYYYY younger helped. :lol:

Sporadic periods of that level of cold continued on and off for the next 15 years into winter of 1994, when Philly experienced its last below 0 temp on January 19, 1994. 

It is now coming up on 30 years where Philly (at least KPHL) has not gone below 0 since.

Ray was keeping up with the RERs for this rain event -

SXUS71 KPHI 280603
RERABE

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
103 AM EST THU DEC 28 2023

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET IN ALLENTOWN PA...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 2.05 INCHES WAS SET AT THE LEHIGH VALLEY 
INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT NEAR ALLENTOWN, PENNSYLVANIA YESTERDAY. THIS 
BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.55 INCHES SET IN 1930.

RECORDS FOR THE ALLENTOWN AREA DATE BACK TO 1922.

$$

RCM

SXUS71 KPHI 280612
RERGED

RECORD EVENT REPORT
112 AM EST THU DEC 28 2023

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT GEORGETOWN DE...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 0.81 INCHES WAS SET AT THE DELAWARE COATAL 
AIRPORT NEAR GEORGETOWN, DELAWARE YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD 
RECORD OF 0.66 INCHES SET IN 1975.

RECORDS FOR THE GEORGETOWN AREA DATE BACK TO 1945.

$$

RCM

SXUS71 KPHI 280610
RERILG

RECORD EVENT REPORT
110 AM EST THU DEC 28 2023

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET IN WILMINGTON DE...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 1.84 INCHES WAS SET AT THE WILMINGTON AIRPORT 
NEAR WILMINGTON, DELAWARE YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 
1.76 INCHES SET IN 1930.

RECORDS FOR THE WILMINGTON AREA DATE BACK TO 1894.

$$

RCM

SXUS71 KPHI 280604
RERMPO

RECORD EVENT REPORT
104 AM EST THU DEC 28 2023

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET IN MOUNT POCONO PA...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 1.49 INCHES WAS SET AT POCONO MOUNTAINS 
REGIONAL AIRPORT NEAR MOUNT POCONO, PENNSYLVANIA YESTERDAY. THIS 
BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.39 INCHES SET IN 2011.

RECORDS FOR THE MOUNT POCONO AREA DATE BACK TO 1901.

$$

RCM

SXUS71 KPHI 280608
RERRDG

RECORD EVENT REPORT
108 AM EST THU DEC 28 2023

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET IN READING PA...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 1.40 INCHES WAS SET AT THE READING REGIONAL 
AIRPORT NEAR READING, PENNSYLVANIA YESTERDAY. THIS TIES THE OLD 
RECORD OF 1.40 INCHES LAST SET IN 1930.

RECORDS FOR THE READING AREA DATE BACK TO 1869.

$$

RCM

After highs of 48 Tues & 49 yesterday (with a low of 43), I ended up with 1.78" overnight and 0.28" (with some right at midnight) today for a 2-day total of 2.06" (so far) and a December total of 9.81" of rain.

It's currently a misty 49 with dp 49.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Home for the holidays? Hope you're enjoying it! (Other than the driving).

Yep heading back to Wyoming after the New Year! It's been a good time back in PA, but I'm ready to be back in WY with a lot less people and more snow lol

• Haha 2

We ended up with total rain of 2.53" here in East Nantmeal. The 2.41" that fell yesterday broke the old record for the date of 1.50" set back in 1930. Some other area amounts include Atglen 2.19" / West Bradford Twp. 2.52" / Chester Springs 2.50" / Kennett Square 2.60" / Devault 2.17" / Warwick Twp. 3.21" / West Chester 2.16". Another dreary day today before sun returns tomorrow.image.png.6758be82bd533fbdcc868ff73860eb9b.png

• Like 1

This is ridiculous!  Have the humidifier turned off, the house is damp and drafty so still need to run the furnace once or twice a day to dry it out.  Have the Christmas lights on 24/7 outside, and yes, I killed a couple flies!  They were mostly dead anyway. 

Wishing you all Happy Holidays!  

Go Birds!

• Like 2

I cant remember the last sunny day we had, very lousy weather! Bear creek ended up opening for hotel guests and season pass holders for dec 23-26th (closed at 3pm). My supervisor told us not to come in because of how little terrian was open to avoid over crowding the trails. Here's what it looks like now...

image.jpeg

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Event total of 2.30", monthly total 9.75". The yard is a swamp this morning, 50F.

I have standing water where I usually don't.

Heat off, 2 windows open (plus screen door) and indoor/outdoor Christmas lights still kicking...

Currently overcast/mist/51F

...and here's tonight forcast.

12-28-2023 11-09-59 AM.jpg

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Low here this morning has been 48 and I saw the Schuylkill is out of its banks along with the Wissahickon Creek.

Currently 51 and dp 51 with a couple more hundreds inches of rain from something that backed in off the coast, bringing the 2-day total to 2.08" (0.30" for today).

usgs-schuylkill-at-phila-9am-graph-12282023.png

usgs-wissahickon-9am-graph-12282023.png

NBC10 had a live shot of Kelly Drive...what a mess. I think it's still rising?

dr.jpg

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Storm total 3.60" and still drizzling

Went from what I was calling the driest 30 days of my lifetime ending on November 21st to near 14" of rain since and what is probably a top five wettest five weeks.

Some stuff moving westward. Don't be surprised by a couple showers later...creeping W through Hatboro. I think I'll see something...dark/lowering clouds.

53F/Drizzle

NW@.jpg

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

NBC10 had a live shot of Kelly Drive...what a mess. I think it's still rising?

dr.jpg

Looks to have peaked just before noon and is coming down.  It did that with the last big rain (about as high).

Still getting nickel and dime measurable and now up to 0.32" for the day (2.10" over 2 days).  Temp is a misty 53 with dp 52.

usgs-schuylkill-at-phila-12pm-graph-12282023.png

schuylkill-padp1_record-1pm-12282023.png

11 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Looks to have peaked just before noon and is coming down.  It did that with the last big rain (about as high).

Still getting nickel and dime measurable and now up to 0.32" for the day (2.10" over 2 days).  Temp is a misty 53 with dp 52.

usgs-schuylkill-at-phila-12pm-graph-12282023.png

schuylkill-padp1_record-1pm-12282023.png

Yep, watched 6abc at noon and they said it had peaked. But man, they had a live shot and people were driving like complete brain dead idiots through water which they had several inches depth+. What's the rush?

Glad I live in the burbs and wouldn't mind going more rural...

54F/Drizzle

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Yep, watched 6abc at noon and they said it had peaked. But man, they had a live shot and people were driving like complete brain dead idiots through water which they had several inches depth+. What's the rush?

Glad I live in the burbs and wouldn't mind going more rural...

54F/Drizzle

I used to use the Drives to go into work and I remember what it was like down there when the water receded after the heavy rain we got about a week after the 1996 blizzard.  The huge plowed snow mounds along that little street that parallels the Drive, were still intact up on that little hill where the gas station is (near Calumet/Falls Bridge where the news stations stage live shots).  The flood water line was visible about halfway up the mounds. :o

The river had gotten so high with the melt and rain that there was a huge tree trunk that got wedged way up into the arch of one of the railroad bridges and was there almost a year before they finally removed it.  They have done a lot of road work along there over the past 10 years for flood mitigation but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Still getting on and off measurable and have another hundredth for 0.33" today (2.11" for the 2 days).  Temp hanging in at 53 with dp now 53.