Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

On 1/27/2024 at 10:16 AM, Itstrainingtime said:

And I am old enough to see the Association come full circle.

I grew up watching both the NBA and the ABA. The ABA was noteworthy for 2 things...they used a red, white and blue ball, and there was no defense. When the ABA merged with the NBA in the 1970s, coming into the Association was a whole bunch of high flying scorers. Julius Erving was one of the most famous. After that, scoring gradually started to come down to where teams would average right around 100 points. Then the late 80s and especially the 90s featured the bad boy Detroit Pistons and a whole new, physical style of play along with it. They had success and other teams followed. Suddenly games were ending 86-78 and the like.

Today's game leaves me feeling very conflicted. While I can appreciate the level of athleticism, the game has evolved into shootouts. Guys driving to the cup for an easy layup but instead firing the rock out to the perimeter for yet another 3. Defense is not emphasized until the 4th quarter. It's entertaining for a lot...the one thing that it isn't is "pure" basketball. And it's one of many reasons why I'm a former season ticket holder and have no plans on attending a single game this season.

That's my perspective as a 50+ year fan of the game. My 28 year old son can't get enough of it, so there's definitely an appeal to some.

So today’s sixers game was a godsend.

35 this morning. Just a few flurries here yesterday. But a relentless wind. Glad I live in a semi secluded area, where I don't receive the wind full strength. Now if I walk out of the house and walk up the hill about 300ft on my property with an elevation increase of about 70 feet (I'm estimating) then yes i will be experiencing more wind as it is more open area up there.

• Like 1

Along with our 0.3" of snow last evening was our first below freezing temperature since March 1st. Wind advisory remains in effect till 8pm tonight. Near normal temps today before a nice warming trend starts tomorrow. Some southern parts of Chesco could even touch 70 degrees by Thursday. Next week will be quite a bit cooler.
County wide records for today: High 82 West Chester (2016) / Low 6 Phoenixville (1960) / Rain 2.60" Glenmoore (2011) / Snow 4.5" West Grove (1934)

image.png.6c83cd43e8ba22b6a26e83dac6be6b62.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Hey @Bubbler86 I believe it was Thursday morning you and I were discussing that Sunday could put on a show and boy did it deliver.  Some places around Erie even got into the 6-12" range.  Just a very solid wintry day for most of the Commonwealth.

Agreed.  I think it was sort of the undercard because of all the warm surrounding it on both sides but it was impressive.  KAOO had snow on the 5 min obs from 11AM until after midnight. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

Looks like another Sunday through Tuesday high wind event. 

Just fabulous, tired of cleaning up and picking up sticks down along the creek. Very time consuming when you have to spend at least 3 hours plus after every wind event. You figure the trees should be raked clean of week and dead sticks and small branches by now.

13 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

How about now? I feel like I could articulate a plastic bag, jump, and be at your place in about three minutes with this wind.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Last night was blustery but not overly windy down here, but it’s been a different story this morning though since just before daybreak. My station registered a high gust of 59 mph around 715am and there’s been plenty of 40+ gusts. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, canderson said:

Winds knocked over a tree, which fell onto a home in Cumberland County, and killed a 45 year old man who was sleeping. Just absolutely horrific. 

https://www.fox43.com/article/news/local/cumberland-county/tree-falls-into-house-fatal-baltimore-pike/521-3a26c64e-4489-4dd2-9b7d-5b506b44f5f7

my company was at this incident.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

I've had a gust of at least 40 mph every 5 minutes since 10:15 a.m. yesterday. Peak is 62. 8 above 50. 

How would be a good time to put up a balloon with a message to write back.  Maybe it gets to New Zealand. 

Queen's, "Flash"
Misheard Lyrics:
Dispatch water and ajax to bring back his body.
Original Lyrics:
Dispatch war rocket Ajax
To bring back his body.

• Haha 1

One of the other winter opportunities from this AM is also on the 12Z GFS.  Basically, the run suggests that after this week, AN High temps are gone for the majority of the rest of the run (though it is back to this Friday being a 70 day for the LSV as the rain is a bit slower to arrive.)  Although temps are not shown AN they are not exactly very cold either.  Just normal or slightly below allows for the chance of snow with the active STJ. 

image.thumb.png.7b42d413cb9dbd71d777b74edadba08d.png

• Thanks 1