Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

The 1970s into the 1980s featured what seemed like a lot of Carolina snowstorms. I remember being upset so many times looking at a bank of cirrus while Richmond on south was getting plastered. Fortunately, we did have a couple of big hits. More memorable however, was the cold. We had some really intense cold snaps back then. Hell, the Chesapeake froze over to the point that vehicles were out on the bay. That thought seems like a pipe dream today. 

I'm sure that @mitchnick has better memories/experiences of the bay freezing than I do. 

Edit: Here is an article I found from the winter of 1977:  https://www.secretsoftheeasternshore.com/eastern-shore-deep-freeze/

January 1977 is ridiculous. It’s 6 degrees colder at Pittsburgh than any other month on record. Not 6 degrees below normal, 6 degrees below the 2nd coldest month on record.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

I just can't watch it anymore. Any all star game except for baseball, but they're money grabs so they're not going away. If the NBA wants to spice things up and generate some eyeballs, they should introduce prison rules for the All Star Game.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

And half the players would know them...lol

A full one third of my yard still has solid snowpack. The 1/3 that gets the most shade of course. In fact, the kids were just playing in it and making snowballs and everything. Color me impressed it held. Curious to see how low we go tonight. 
That's how mine is. I have one area that never sees the sun that still has like four inches of pack. The sun-touched part is bare ground.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

The 1970s into the 1980s featured what seemed like a lot of Carolina snowstorms. I remember being upset so many times looking at a bank of cirrus while Richmond on south was getting plastered. Fortunately, we did have a couple of big hits. More memorable however, was the cold. We had some really intense cold snaps back then. Hell, the Chesapeake froze over to the point that vehicles were out on the bay. That thought seems like a pipe dream today. 

I'm sure that @mitchnick has better memories/experiences of the bay freezing than I do. 

Edit: Here is an article I found from the winter of 1977:  https://www.secretsoftheeasternshore.com/eastern-shore-deep-freeze/

In January of 77', I walked out on the frozen Chesapeake Bay near sunset about 100' at Sandy Point State Park, which is on the western shore at the base of the Bay Bridge. Pictures of the frozen bay from back then didn't do it justice because it looked flat. In reality, it was a bunch of large blocks of ice that had congealed into a solid mass. It wasn't easy walking out on it, even as a sprite 18 y/o because of the slippery surface and the tendency for your feet to slip into the crevices where the blocks of ice were joined. Crazy thing was I could have easily gone out a lot further without concern over falling through the ice because it was as solid as a rock. Glad I  wasn't drinking at the time. Lol

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Sounds like basically the fork has been inserted into winter. 13 here this morning.

The Iirony is all the talk of us being in the best pattern since <insert date here> starting now and instead we are going into a spring pattern.   Long Range Weather forecasting is the pits sometimes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The Iirony is all the talk of us being in the best pattern since <insert date here> starting now and instead we are going into a spring pattern.   Long Range Weather forecasting is the pits sometimes. 

Winters are not what they used to be when I was growing up. Well there's always next winter to look forward to. I guess the march on to spring will commence shortly.

17 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

You just threw your entire generation under an industrial-sized bus. We were told, at any time it was seen as relevant, that you lot walked to school in deeper snow and in colder conditions. Up hill. Both ways.

And now, after all these years I am to believe you may have missed an entire week of school?

I would say my entire life is a lie, but I think it's actually yours.

:lmao: we didn't miss many days and rarely had to make up days like they do now. 

16 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Was just having a conversation with my BIL Friday night, about it doesn't seem like we get the cold like we use to. I remember being on break between Xmas and new years playing hockey on frozen ponds. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Good, because I'm already down to 28.

Of course, it's still Monday so there's that.

I see the single digits are shown over the snowpack areas of the LV. Pretty accurate. Already 20 degrees

Got down to 9 degrees this morning under the snow pack. 14 degrees right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

So the Most Mows Championship Series could have an early start this year? Who is the preseason favorite to win that coveted cup?

@Itstrainingtime

edit- i will document each mow, i'd like to stay in the running this year. I may fire the John Deere up Sunday to get a jump

• Haha 1