• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

9am Obs:  33/33 with moderate to heavy snow falling.  An additional 1.5" brings storm total to 5.0".  Visibilities quite low, as a lot of the far-off trees in the neighborhood have disappeared.  It will probably pull out of here quickly once we hit the 10 o'clock hour.  Just going to enjoy this beautiful scene since it won't last long.  Congrats to all!

• Like 4

At 9:00am here in Carlisle the temperature is 33.6 degrees and beginning to rise.  The back edge of the snow has just reached me and I'm down to flurries.  During the past hour an additional 0.2" of snow has accumulated, giving a storm total of 5.8".  I'm going to melt down the snow and then I'll at least know the entire liquid equivalent of the rain + snow.  I'm thinking I'll estimate an SLR of 8:1 which would give the melted snow water content of 0.73".  I'll be back to give the final total melted equivalent in the next hour.

10 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

9am Obs:  33/33 with moderate to heavy snow falling.  An additional 1.5" brings storm total to 5.0".  Visibilities quite low, as a lot of the far-off trees in the neighborhood have disappeared.  It will probably pull out of here quickly once we hit the 10 o'clock hour.  Just going to enjoy this beautiful scene since it won't last long.  Congrats to all!

7 minutes ago, dcfox1 said:

Under a heavy band again. Definitely will end up with 6 plus when all is said and done. 31/31.

This final band is delivering the goods - should abruptly end here in the next 15 minutes or so, I'm currently at 5.8"...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Not that I didn't believe you, but Jesus H. Christ. Woodland was the cutoff.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I noticed that, I was looking at the 511 cams up there a bit ago and the one that’s at the actual Woodland exit on I-80 has nothing at all on the ground, and the Woodland camera on 322 that’s probably like a mile or so from the interstate camera looked like it had a coating. 

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

GFS too north, EC 0Z too South for the Icon Sat snowstorm.  At least a possible tracking event this week.    A shallow trough promoting it. 

Eps ain't bad. Looks like a lighter precip field as Icon, but our area as a bullseye. But lighter qpf is what you'd expect to see at this point on the ensembles. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

GFS too north, EC 0Z too South for the Icon Sat snowstorm.  At least a possible tracking event this week.    A shallow trough promoting it. 

yep.  Tells me there's a lot going on and they are struggling to figure out where things set up.  For any that are writing them off....step back 24hrs (better get some mileage outta it while we can...lol)

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Up to 37 here.  Temp jumped after the snow stopped.  I shoveled anyway as it is a good workout. 

LOL! I'm playing the back and forth game of "I really should shovel" - "nah...it's going to melt like crazy" - repeat. 

I'm thinking lazy wins out. :)  (I'll shovel the sidewalk though)

• Haha 1

I noticed that, I was looking at the 511 cams up there a bit ago and the one that’s at the actual Woodland exit on I-80 has nothing at all on the ground, and the Woodland camera on 322 that’s probably like a mile or so from the interstate camera looked like it had a coating. 

I live in Bigler. I posted what I received. Eighty is like two miles from me. I have never seen such a harsh cutoff point that didn't involve a half a mountain..

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

This final band is delivering the goods - should abruptly end here in the next 15 minutes or so, I'm currently at 5.8"...

Heck yeah it is.  My visibility is about as low as it's been all morning.  It does seem like I'm not accumulating quite as efficiently though, with the temp above freezing and rising. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

@MAG5035 what kind of SLR did you measure up there? Temps ended up being solid here and 850’s were plenty good. Makes me think ratios may have been closer to 10:1 than expected. I was seeing some decent flakes during the 2” an hour stuff

I’ll have to melt out my Ambient rain gauge to see what kind of number I get. Going off pasty consistency of snow it’s likely a 7-8 to 1 type snow. The best deform snow missed here to the south and east, so we had a nice moderate rate mostly but not intense snowfall. That took a bit to start piling up. 

You were under the good FGEN forcing, so while 850 and 700mb temps weren’t ideal they were probably cold enough to generate a slightly better than 10:1 ratio in terms of crystal growth. Surface temps matter to a point, but when it pours snow and starts piling up you can get decent fluff factor on marginal surface temps with good snow growth aloft. 

Just now, mitchnick said:

If this season has taught us anything, it's there ain't no king of modeling anymore. 

I remember last season changing the King moniker weekly.  LOL.  With that said, although some of the early extreme snow totals out by the Nam were too high, it definitely got closer to the ground truth than the Caandian and Euro from yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Best part of this snow is that sidewalks and driveway amounts are substantially less than grass so I  won't need to break my back shoveling. Lol

I have a couple of trees lining my driveway - there is nothing but wet pavement under and around those trees. I only have 50% coverage on my driveway even though the road is 100% covered.